Zone Alarm Anti Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Vettetech, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

My cousin is using ZAAS and I was wondering if that has HIPS. I dont see anything in there site about it. He was gonna use OA or Comodo. Yes Coolio I did say Comodo.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

ZAAS's application and O/S firewall are kind of HIPS . aren't they ?

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Im asking.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

This is from a ZA person that knows something about ZoneAlarm's Triple Firewall Defense. It helped convince me that just using ZAAS with only an Antivirus would be fine. I saw a review in zdnet that praised ZAAS and this was the response I got from the person.

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=gen&message.id=46763
    http://review.zdnet.com/internet-se...arm-anti-spyware-7/4505-3667_16-32380240.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  5. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

In the review:
    The bad: ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware lacks antivirus protection; lacks free telephone support.

How is not having a antivirus bad? IMO kind of a dumb statement being that ZA has the ZA ISS and ZA AV products. :p Apparently Robert Vamosi does not take in consideration that some users do not want "all-in-one" suite type security apps -- hence ZA has offered the ZA AV and ZA AS products. I wished ZA would also have just the ZA firewall without any additional non-firewall features/bloat.

Below is the same review by Robert Vamosi at Cnet.com, but this one has "User Opinions":
    http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-se...re-7/4505-3667_7-32380240.html?tag=prod.txt.2
    If you read the User Opinions they're on earlier versions of ZA AS; i.e., none (at this time) are on the current improved 7.0.462.000 version that's (overall) received positive user opinions here at WSF.

Been using ZA since 2.0 released, however I've staid with ZA Pro 5.5.094.000 (on old P4 box) because I detest all the non-firewall features/bloat of the 6.x and 7.x versions. Besides the bloat there's the buggy releases users have had to contend with.

I also got the ZA AS for one year free offer and when I have the time (after the holidays) will do an backup image and give it a try on my old P4 box, since it "appears" to be the ZA software firewall product with the least amount of bloat/problems.

Currently trying out OA Free on my Intel Core 2 Duo system purchased mid Sept 07.
    There's a lot I like about OA but since "I" am not familiar with using a rule base firewall, unable to configure programs OA's firewall like I can easily do with ZA's Program Control, and unfortunately currently no help provided on using a lot of OA's features/settings.

6. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Just put OA in learn mode for the first couple of days.

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

That defeats the purpose of a firewall...:D

8. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Know about the Learning Mode, I was referring to being able to configure programs beyond OA's default firewall rules.

In OA you have to know/understand how to edit or create firewall rules.

The Program Control in ZA (and Sunbelt/Kerio firewall) allows you to easily configure programs without having to use rules.

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Can you show a picture of rule editing in za or atleast what/how you can edit.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Coolio................your suppose to put a software firewall in learn mode when you first install it. Thats what learn mode means. But only if you have a clean system.

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I will help you more later. I have no problems using OA. If you put OA in learn mode and launch any program that connects to the internet it will create rules automaticlly. I set OA in learn mode and it made rules automatically for COD2,COD4,Steam,HL2,Q4,BF2,Halo,Time Shift,WOW. It was very easy and no pop ups.

12. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

You're not reading/replying to what I posted. :(

13. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I have no problems with OA if you go into firewall rules. You can edit things there.I get your point. But all I did was install OA,reboot and I was up and running. I have yet to need to edit anything. I have atleast 200 apps on my pc and all of them work perfect with OA. What problems are you having?

14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The first 4 or 5 posts seemed to be about the topic title, (ie. "Zone Alarm Anti Spyware") and yet, it turned into a Comodo versus OA topic somehow. :doubt:

People, please at least "TRY" to stay somewhere near the topic title when posting. If you have a question about Online Armor, don't post it in a thread that is titled "Zone Alarm Anti Spyware"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.