Zone Alarm 7.0.462.000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vettetech, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Ok well I tired ZA years ago and it slows your boot up time down quit a bit. Found Comodo 2.4 and said goodbye to ZA. Well now with Comodo 3.0 I was getting sick of all the pop ups. so I thought I try the "new and improved ZA". Still the same bs. Why make a product that slows your pc down so much. Went back to Comodo 3.0 and disabled balloon tips.

Performance improvements:
    Improved system boot time
    Additional Stability improvements:
    Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon
    Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown
    Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient.
    Fixed various install and upgrade issues
    Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates
    Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software
    Ease-of-use improvements:
    New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone)
    Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours
    Customization improvements:
    Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray).
    Various other fixes and improvements

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...462_000_en.exe

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

If you really want to use ZA, I suggest using 2.x - Back then it was just a firewall and nothing else. Good times indeed.
    Now of course there may be security issues by using an outdated firewall, so it's entirely up to you if you wanna go by that approach.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I already said I went back to Comodo 3.0

4. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I don't understand what do you mean I'm using ZA Pro and I never had any problems with it,none has ever been able to break through ZA Pro (and Nod32) and I've been on all kinds of websites.

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

No matter what Zone Alarm slows your boot up time and shut down time. I like ZA but Comodo keeps me happy,

6. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

No Firewall is perfect, but I still like the ZA design. The pop-ups are a lot less compared to Comodo and I can find what I need w/out searching the help files.

I wish that ZA had a better free firewall and I think they are missing the boat on that! I was lucky to snag a free license from them when they had the free offer on Patch Tuesday.

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Thats how I got mine. But I switched back to Comodo 3.0

8. CoolWebSearch

Well,it doesn't slow my boot up time,it's really fast.Basically,right now I'm using ZA Pro and Nod32-they are compatible.
    Everything works just fine.

Maybe you have unused files of the previous softwares,I had the same problem with Agnitum files,but when I reinstalled the whole system from a scratch,everything worked just fine.

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

No not true...................tons of people complain about ZA boot up and it happens even to my cousin on his pc.

10. CoolWebSearch

Sure,there was a bug in version 7.0.302.000 but this version should work just fine.Am I the only guy here who has no problems with ZA Proo_O
    Since I frequently re-install the whole Windows XP Pro system from scratch,this could be a factor why I really don't have any issues with ZA Pro.
    Did you try Registry mechanic or other cleaners?
    Honestly I truly don't know what could be the reason for ZA Pro not working well.

11. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

ZA Pro user here for 2 years with no problems encountered.

No system slowdown either.

With all the raves and good reviews Comodo and OA firewalls are getting, I've been tempted to switch but why mess with a tried and tested setup?

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I run Vista Home Premium, so my choices for firewalls are limited. I was running Zone Alarm Security Suite when I ran XP.

I was running PC Tools Firewall Plus V2, tried the V3, went back to V2 immediately.

I tried the newly released Comodo V3. It crashed and burned, so I deinstalled it ASAP.

Right now I am running ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1.078.000, with about 10 days or so left on the trial period. It does not seem to adversely affect the operation of the PC, although startup time does take about an additional 15 seconds. I wish the Vista version had the full functionality and feature set that the XP version has.

13. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

That 15 ses at the welcome screen the 15 more secs to get your icons is uncalled for and its not only me. I know of three other people who have the same problem. But once its up and running your fine.

14. AKAJohnDoe

I don't actually have any icons on the desktop, but, regardless, I am OK with the 15 seconds anyway. I take it you are not, and that is your prerogative.

15. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Your using the older version of ZA.

16. AKAJohnDoe

No, I am not.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2885
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  17. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

18. AKAJohnDoe

I'm done arguing with you. But I will leave you to ponder the numbering scheme and the fact that you are claiming 7.0.462.000 (for XP) is somehow newer than 7.1.078.000 for Vista. Although I am annoyed that the XP version seems to be getting more frequent updates than the Vista version.

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I'm now using the Anti-spyware version again which is very close to the Pro one, and it is running very well with Avast Home. I had also used ThreatFire with it before and it still didn't seem to slowdown my PC, but with or without TF it does slow down the boot process somewhat. Still, I like ZAAS a lot more than Webroot Desktop Firewall as it is so much more full featured than WDF, and I must add that I am a little bit afraid to go near Comodo 3.0 at this time. For for what it's worth it got a great review here.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/sof...m-Anti-Spyware-7/0,139023452,339274487,00.htm

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I am itching to try Comodo Pro 3.0 and from what I have seen of the features and GUI it is nicer than ZA. However leak tests aside, I'm not yet convinced that Comodo is "far" superior to ZAAS or Pro. LOL.

22. AKAJohnDoe

23. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok I am back to ZAAS. Comodo has way too many options and that pending file thing is stupid.

24. CoolWebSearch

This is not true.ZA Pro fails exactly 4 leak-tests + 4 FPR tests,that's maximum 8 leak-tests.
    Practically nothing.

25. CoolWebSearch

That's true, on my computer,too it takes 15 seconds to startup time-but this doesn't bother me,it's really fast when my system is already started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.