Zone Alarm 50% Off Sale

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

sent by pm since this is a facebook promo...if it's ok by the mods for me to post the link then I'll be happy to do so as this is a pretty good offer for those who like ZA.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA Extreme hook very low level on the system and may not play nice wih other security tools. If you like to run multiple security tools on top of ZA Extreme then indeed ZA Extreme is not for you and for most wilders users :D :D

On java and firefox: the most common problems is having firefox and its addon updated while ZA virtualization is ON. They will be installed in the virtual area and then (most of them) will not work correctly or breaks hereafter. Virtualization in ZA is not only limited to isolating the browser but encrypts all data saved on disk. This is why only FF and IE are supported (it requires some development work). So, this very restricted setup with likely generate problems if you do not follow some simple rules.

Can you elaborate more on the type of errors you received? Courios since I am running FF5 without problems here :)

Thanks,
    Fax

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Hi Fax,an astute evaluation on your part. Your right in your evaluation regarding Z/A and virtualization with Firefox. The only other apps I use are Zemana anti-keylogger and Hitman Pro. I even disabled Prevx too accomodate Z/A. It seems Z/A has made great strides with the feature set in their new 2012 products, a vast improvement over past products. Many thanks for your input. Sincerely...Securon

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeap, ok I Understand. Thanks a lot for the follow up, I got a better picture of the likely problems. Indeed Prevx safeonline or their latest beta of WSA conflicts with ZA virtualization. I have reported it but I beleive its unlikely that prevx dev. team will manage to accomodate both technologies peacefully.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Did ZA uninstall cleanly? Or did it leave problems behind?

6. fax

fax Registered Member

I have still to find a security tool that leaves zero trace and ZA is no exeption. You will find a couple of empty "checkpoint" folders one in programs files and one in program data + checkpoint entries in registry. I guess its by design (remember the license, trial days and/or first install). The removal tool will get rid of some of it but not all. :)

7. Securon

Good Morning ! I've found most apps leave residue behind, a little due diligence in using CCleaner usually cleans the registry very thoroughly. Yes Z/A left behind it's traces, I found that you have to turn off Z/A first in the sys tray before uninstalling, then after the re-boot using CCleaner before re-installing another app. Sincerely...Securon

8. Securon

Good Evening ! Fax...Just installed Z/A Antivirus and removed Firefox...replaced with Opera...Prevx with Safe On Line also installed...so far zero conflicts. Stay tuned...or stay away from Z/A Extreme & Firefox. Combinations...Trial and Error Etc. Sincerely...Securon

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Thanks for the update! Personally don't like AV version only, too limited scope. The real strenght of ZA (IMO) is the virtualization in Extreme. But of course its a matter of taste... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.