Zeroing is not enough.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I was playing with partition locking softwares.
    ID Disk Protector
    http://www.idsecuritysuite.com/products/id-disk-protector.htm
    Disk Password Protection
    http://www.exlade.com/products/diskpasswordprotection/

"ID Disk Protector" locked my data partition immediately.
    "Disk Password Protection" was slower and required some time to lock my data partition (showing a processing bar).
    So I was more impressed by the first one, than the second one.
    Both required a password and made my data partition [D:] disappear completely in Windows Disk Management and Windows Explorer as it didn't exist and that's the way I like it.

So I installed ID Disk Protector first in my snapshot-2, later on in my snapshot-1, because after some testing, I noticed when I locked my data partition in snapshot-2, it was still locked in my snapshot-1 and that was inconvenient. I didn't want to reboot to snapshot-2 to unlock my data partition, I wanted to lock/unlock my data partition in both snapshots.

Everything was OK during a few days and my password was "demo", because the fully functional demo-version of "Disk Password Protection" forced me to use the password "demo" and that's why I used the same password in "ID Disk Protector", easy to remember.

Unfortunately, one day I was very tired and sleepy and that is the ideal situation to make mistakes.
    I had locked my data partition with "demo", but it wasn't "demo" and when I tried to unlock my data partition with the password "demo", I got the message "Invalid Password". I went to bed without being worried, because I always
    backup my data partition every day on an external harddisk, after all I'm invincible.

The next day, I couldn't remember my password either.
    1. I uninstalled "ID Disk Protector", but that didn't help, which was predictable.
    2. I restored snapshot-2 with a clean archive, that didn't help
    3. I restored snapshot-1 with a clean archive, that didn't help
    4. I zeroed my data partition, that didn't help
    5. I zeroed my system partition and restored a clean image, that didn't help and that's when I got worried.

So I had two new harddisks and my second harddisk was still invisible, even after restoring a clean system image, that never contained "ID Disk Protector".
    This is what I call a panic situation, because I ran out of ideas and my technical knowledge = zero. I couldn't ask my wife, she knows nothing about computers and she is certainly not willing to give me any psychological or physical support, because she is angry with me as a computerwidow, not as wife.

So I browsed through my CD/DVD box, but nothing there that would offer any help.
    Then I browsed through my diskette box and I found 2 diskettes of a long forgotten PartitionMagic7, but what could PM7 do on a complete zeroed harddisk, that was unlogical. Nevertheless, it was my very last hope,
    before I would make myself ridiculous at Wilders.

I rebooted my computer with one diskette and inserted the second one to get PM on my screen.
    I created a partition on my second harddisk, did a quick NTFS-format and rebooted my computer.
    I opened Windows Explorer and I had my data partiton [D:] back. I was stupified and relieved of course.
    I ran the job "Data Restore" in Karen's Replicator and I was back in business.

I learned a few lessons that day :
    1. Never ever play with partition lock softwares, when you are very tired and sleepy.
    2. Zeroing your harddisk isn't enough, you also need a partitioning software and until now I still don't know why zeroing didn't fix the problem.
    These hard lessons won't keep me away from using partition locking software, after all it was my mistake, not a software mistake. :)

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Erik - I don't know the first thing about Zeroing but looks like you can't zero something that isn't there - as far as the zero program is concerned ? over the years I have had to use partition programs a number of times. Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director have always been able to clean up any mess that I have created - allowing me to start again.

when you tried to restore an image which program did you use ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.