ZenOK Free Antivirus 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloud, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Which version of the BitDefender engine does it use? 2009?

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I have been discussing with Ron Hessing (Founder & CEO of ZenOK) and got some information.

• The latest version using the BitDefender 2010 engine, not 2009. They will have a release available with the new engine soon.

• The realtime protection might have a potential bug. This might be the reason why the on-access scanner doesn't detect much (or none in some cases). After watching some youtube tests, read sg09's "review" (on Wilders), and did some personal findings/tests of my own, I have concluded that this might be true. For some reason, the on-demand scanner detects more than the realtime module. I reported this to ZenOK already and I am waiting for a response.

• ZenOK Security Toolbar detects malicious sites (i.e. -indiaantivirus.com-) but like SiteAdvisor, it lacks the ability to actually block the page. This feature will implemented the next update (which is next week).

• As was mentioned, ZenOK doesn't fully integrate into Security Center. Ron explained they have to sign some contracts first with Microsoft. They are working on this.

• More configuration options will be added soon in one of the next future updates. Security notification alerts might be added as well (hopefully), it will most likely be automatic (like with Norton).

I am helping ZenOK to improve because, with assistance from (smart, young, handsome, cool) users such as myself, they will be able to further improve their product. :D Besides, I benefit from the extra knowledge from my research. ;) IT security is my favorite activity in the computer field. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I sure hope so, Mr handsome :p
    The BD engine should be able improve ZenOK.

No Offense :cool:

4. gregd

gregd Registered Member

You didn't mention whether or not you talked to him about his EULA?

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

None taken. ;) In fact, I took it as a complement rather than an offense. :p

I am currently using in my netbook. It is very light (it is!), on-demand scanner is fast, and it now provides 2GB of free online backup. Its lighter than BD, and the scanner is much faster. :thumb:

Also, I sent ZenOK some places where they can find malware samples. (MDL, malc0de, and virussign.) As it seems they keep missing a lot of the samples from these domains. :gack:

They will be adding a forum in the near future, and there will be volunteer mods. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Good ;)

I have never seen it detect anything, so it would be great if you could post a screenie when it actually detects something?

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Sure. :)

But ZenOK does detect stuff. ;) Like I had mentioned before, the realtime scanner must have a bug or something. Anyways, I will do an on-demand test and post back the results.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've never seen it detect anything.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Errrr, sounds like some pre-alpha bug to me? :rolleyes:

10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You know what? I always thought that too. But I tried to download a few samples from malc0de and they were unsuccessful. First they were blocked by smartscreen filter, then turned it off and all of a sudden they wouldn't download correctly. I opened the ZenOK panel and noticed seven files in quarantine. They were locked. I tried running the ones that were able to download "correctly" but was welcomed with an error.

I tried with Chrome and all downloads were successful. I was confused now and ran the one that ZenOK had locked previously. It ran. I closed the installer and decided to scan the files. ZenOK detected most of them as malicious. So here is my report:

1) The Secure Downloads feature most likely only works on IE and Firefox. I used IE9. This feature works even if you turn off the ultra-light scan.

2) The realtime scanner doesn't work as it should, seems to me it runs much like a never-ending on-demand scanner. The on-demand scanner retains BitDefender's reputation (read above^, it uses the 2010 engine). It also produces a few FPs, another BD trait. Some of the detections used simliar threat names as BD might have recognized them as.

Conclusion: ZenOK has a few bugs that can be easily fixed in one of the upcoming product updates. If you had used Chrome, try IE or FF. Or after closing Chrome, scan the files and review the results. Help me to help Zenok improve and become a better alternative to ClamAV (yes, I read that comment, RejZor)! :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have always thought that there is some serious untested bug in ZenOK realtime scanner. Thank you for helping them to sort it out. I know it's much harder to help than criticize. So I will comment further only after testing the coming build myself. Please ask Ron to become more responsive in this thread. If they are sincere enough to sort the bugs out I am sure here he will find many users to help him.
    I always wish ZenOK to improve so that we can get a real free realtime alternative antivirus using Bitdefender engine (one of my favorite).

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Indeed it is. :thumb: And I agree, it is a serious bug...though I am still waiting for a response on this from him.

Sure thing. ;)

:thumb: :thumb: And it gets even better, as there will be a ZenOK firewall component in the near future. Best part is: it will be free.

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

That's very good news. i am always in favor of free softwares. I wish them to get better with any kind of free help asked to offer....:thumb: :thumb:

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Qihoo 360 also use BitDefender engine, too bad it's Chinese only. There seems to be plans of a real-time BitDefender Free version as well.

15. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I didn't. I thought it was best to help sort out the bugs and stuff first, the EULA is not top priority IMO. And isn't my specialty. :) You may discuss the problem with him if you want.

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

The problem with the realtime module is that both processes can block the same signature files, which creates this issue. According to the email, the next update that will resolve this issue will be in six weeks.

I hope it comes much sooner, if possible...

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Wait a minute...does that quote say "WinDefendLike"? o_O No messing with the name, bro. :ouch:

18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Huh? o_O o_O o_O

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Capture.JPG

:D :cool: :D ;)

20. carat

carat Guest

+1 :thumb:

21. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

An update will be released sometime this week to address all the bugs I notified them of.

22. carat

carat Guest

Are all the bugs fixed now? :doubt:

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Nope. :( They probably did not have the update ready yet. They had said six weeks, so it should be available by the first of June.

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

ZenOK Security Toolbar has been recently updated. Latest is version 6.4.0.12. It now displays a block page before entering a potentially risky website (includes go back and continue links). Reminds us of the BD Trafficlight block page, yes? ;)

Attached Files:

25. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Simply out of curiousity, is anybody currently using this AV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.