ZenMate leaks your IP!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by flinchlock, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you do this?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I run VoodooShield and NoVirusThanks ERP. Either or both offer control over executables like C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    ERP has just gone donation. So, free and if you like it. You may donate.
    Developer hasn't decided if "free" v "donation" v "license holders" will be offered exact same product. Currently one offering with all features enabled.

Wilders has a board for VS and ERP. Both are a lot more active than this board :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. guest

guest Guest

You can also block plugin-container.exe with SRP or AppLocker if your OS supports them.

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hi
    I thought TomAZ and I were in a Chat Room. It's been so quiet here. R U a fan of ZM

5. guest

guest Guest

Not a fan of it at all. I'd still recommending people to use VPNs and/or Tor for proper anonymity.

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I tried two full VPN's and could not connect.... ? Went round and round with their Support. ... and even though ZM claims to tunnel....I don't know if tunnel is just between me and website or is tunnel really computer to computer. My IP is always masked as far as I can tell.

Just had an online transaction denied because my CC is registered in state x and according to my broadcast IP. I was placing the transaction from state y.

Maybe ZM is a VPN service and as such is not a true VPN as per info here
    << A VPN service is pretty much just for connecting to Websites and services. It does not create a true VPN tunnel between two computers.>>

Any thoughts ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. guest

guest Guest

The VPN won't connect? Have you tried any the top 5 list?

I don't believe web proxies do tunneling and encrypting, experts may correct me if I'm wrong. They're the most basic form of cyber-ID masking. VPN in the right sense however, would tunnel and encrypt the connection between your computer and the VPN's server. If you want to encrypt your connection to the websites, use HTTPS (and hopefully the website also uses proper encryption). There may be more that we can use other than these, but unfortunately those are not in the domain of my knowledge level.

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, then ZM is misrepresenting ZM. Sure is plastered around their website and browser app. "Tunnels, Masks, Encrypts".

I'm no expert. Is this the top 5 list you prompt. http://lifehacker.com/5935863/five-best-vpn-service-providers

9. guest

guest Guest

Again, please verify my statement before even considering it.

No, I meant the original Wilders Security Forum's top 5 list, as the following:
    - Private Internet Access (United States)
    - AirVPN (Italy)
    - iVPN (Malta)
    - Mullvad (Sweden)
    - BolehVPN (Malaysia but moving to Seychelles)

However, mirimir-sensei proposed a new testament that is slightly different:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

PIA does have a cute android. But, AirVPN seems more serious.
    Still don't see how any VPN does anything but mask after traffic to VPN server. Traffic from VPN server to final destination is not Tunneled or Encrypted ?

Is the Wilders Security Forum's top 5 an active Wilders board

The only way I may verify is to accept or deny. I have no way to really verify. I can't ride traffic. I know with ZM. Traffic is masked as credit card transaction was blocked do to perceived location. And Hotmail is always sending me alerts of suspicious logins from not my real location.

EDIT: AirVPN is definitely more serious. Flat out "We're very sorry, we totally ignore how ZenMate works."
    <<A VPN based on OpenVPN and operated by activists and hacktivists in defence of net neutrality, privacy and against censorship.>>
    But, no private message advice on ZenMate. Hmm, wonder what their agenda is.
    Real activist usually want to educate....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  11. guest

guest Guest

AFAIK that is true, which is why we still need to use the HTTPS. And again, there might be more technology we can use to wrap our connection, which I'm certainly not having useful enough knowledge in this field.

No, it's more like what usually privacy folks recommend. And it may change dramatically when there are certain events affecting those VPN service providers.

True, which is what all cyber-ID masking do, be it web proxy, Tor, JonDo, VPN or even a public WiFi in an internet cafe.

I'm not going to make any judgement regarding that. They might just won't give a word to other products purely for the sake of ethical business practice.

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Have you read their About ~ https://airvpn.org/aboutus/

Trial is 3 days or 5GB

Okay, no judgement. Take the high road. Just seems there is a noticable amount of anti ZenMate rhetoric. One thing I will say without reservation. I like ZM's Blog.

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

15. guest

guest Guest

Here's the thing that people need to understand regarding ZenMate: it is a web proxy. A web proxy only covers the network traffic by the web browser. Now Adobe Flash Player is a plugin for the web browser, it is not part of the web browser itself. Of course, ZenMate won't cover the network traffic of Adobe Flash Player and thus, IP leak. OTOH, a VPN would secure the network traffic not only for the web browser, but also the plugins, torrent clients, office suites, media players, email clients and possibly all the third-party apps that have internet connection capability. ZenMate is not a VPN, whatever the justifications they might or might not give to defend their product.

Do I sound like a ZenMate hater? Maybe so. But I can't stand marketing hypes, not anymore.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I followed Firefox instructions okay.

Chrome path \Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\ was not available on my setup. I have Pepper Data no Shockwave Flash

Flash reports N/A for me.

I've sent email to ZM support for help with Chrome

What does Flash report 4 U ? Presuming you allowed Flash for whoer.net

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Flash is embedded in Chrome. Flash plugin is embedded in Firefox
    My IP remains masked with Flash. No leak. What ever ZM calls itself or what ever you deem ZM. No IP leak. This Topic is ZenMate leaks your IP! ZM does not leak my IP

18. guest

guest Guest

So what? They are still not part of the web browser. They're extras, additional components. They don't share the same network traffic with the web browser.

19. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

My IP is masked. ZM does not leak my IP. This Topic is ZenMate leaks your IP! ZM does not leak my IP

20. guest

guest Guest

I will consult with the CIA about this ZenMate for more enlightenment. But my statement still stands, ZenMate is a web proxy and thus it is a weakling.

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

ZM is all I need. My IP is masked. Traffic between me and ZM server is tunnel encrypted + masked. From ZM server to destination traffic is masked. My IP is masked.

22. guest

guest Guest

Oh, but the privacy folks here have 2 VPN chains + Tor as minimum standard. :D

I'm curious, what do they use for encryption? Not that I know much about encryption but I'm still wondering about it. Interestingly, I saw EFF logo being displayed in their website homepage.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

25. guest

guest Guest

I've lost my interest after I read this:

That's it. Me and my stubborn scepticism are out of here. Good bye good ladies and gentlemen. *raise my high hat*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.