Zemana giveaway for 72 hours

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JoeBlack40, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Good news here maybe? http://www.zemana.com/whatsnew.aspx

2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks man, i though it worked like GAOTD promos, which can be enabled during the promo period of time :D

4. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

I still think like that. Other way around would be economically not feasible for Zemana.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I have never used this as I use SS.. But really interested.. Howz the protectiono_O?

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Kernelwars

Pretty damn good on my XP comp :thumb: I also run PSOL with no conflicts :)

There are several tests on here i did, along with others, that showed how well it/they performed. If you do a search you should be able to find them & maybe others could point you to them as i can't remember right now.

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ah thanks I am going to give it a spin on vista 32:D

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

In an abundance of caution (whether necessary or not), I've disabled "System Defense" since I have the HIPS module (Process Monitor) of Privatefirewall on "High" and didn't want to create any potential conflicts.

10. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

Quick question, is this even needed if I'm running Defensewall, i.e. does it bring anything else to the table so to speak?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont really need zemana when Defensewall is active;) DW is a complete solution

12. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

Thanks jmonge, I guess I'm in good hands with Ilya :).

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ofcourse man;)

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Out of curiosity, having Sandboxie restricted for applications starting and connecting to the Internet, wouldn't it be enough against key loggers? They can't start anything and can't connect anywhere, so my question is what would Zemana do to protect that isn't already done by Sandboxie?

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is very true

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I actually agree with your take and I have my sandboxes set up to be very restrictive in that regard.

I suppose my motivation was to try out the software since I had the opportunity to do so for free. (Ordinarily I just go "real-time" with the apps in my sig. But you know how it is, sometimes we just want to tinker a bit.)

Also, I suppose it's always possible that one might unintentionally/inadvertently install a piece of logging malware to their "real" system and this would provide a bit of "backup".

That said, Sandboxie is definitely the cornerstone of my security apps.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Fair enough, I suppose that if Zemana can be passworded, it would probably protect against people trying to install physically a key logger on the machine (not so far fetched with people living in the same household, and not trusting one another).

18. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I hope that neither my wife nor my Weimaraner ever feel they have to go to those lengths! :eek:

:D

19. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have a laptop I might try this on. :cool:

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I tried this promotion, but unfortunately during installation something in me does not work...it detected traces of the previous version, and neither can't uninstall the old or install new :blink:
    I was looking for the garbage by the name in the files and in the registry and found nothing...have you some idea? o_O

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Osaban
    You might want to spend some time reading tzuk's input here on how SBIE handles keyloggers.

Notably, tzuk says, "Some key-loggers could possibly circumvent the Internet access restriction by hijacking the Web browser to be used as a vehicle through which to send out the recorded information."

tzuk also points out that, "Sandboxie is not designed to detect or disable key-loggers, but it is designed to make sure that sandboxed software stays in the sandbox, that such software can't integrate into Windows, and that it can be completely discarded when you delete the sandbox."

If a user carries out all untrusted activity in the sandbox, and always deletes the sandbox to undo the effects of that activity, the computer is restored to a trusted state. According to tzuk, if all untrusted activity (browsing the net, reading email, testing unknown programs) is carried out only in the restricted area of the sandbox, "this doesn't mean you won't be infected by keyloggers, but it does mean you can get rid of them."

tzuk states that it is vital to Terminate All Programs (command in the File Menu and the Tray Icon Menu) before deleting the contents of a sandbox. He then repeats the need to do this, saying "it is still important to first (before deleting) stop all sandboxed activity in all sandboxes, for maximum protection."

Personally, in the brief time I have been using SBIE, I haven't been terminating all programs first, but that is going to change!

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for the Heads Up! :thumb:

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is good that you raise these points as it is the only way to understand the possibilities within a theoretical scenario. I don't test malware and neither do you (from memory), therefore we can only draw conclusions from what the application is advertised to perform.

If there is a way to circumvent the Internet access restriction (hijacking) I'd like to ask how did the malware manage to execute in the first place: if you let it execute to test the sandbox then one should bear the consequences. As far as I know "Start/Run access" once it has a white list of programs allowed, it really behaves as an anti-executable for any program that is not listed (it doesn't have to detect malware)

The way I interpret this statement is that Sandboxie is not really designed to test malware (I know it can be done, and many people do). If you are using it as a sandbox, and you delete the sandbox you should be well protected.

Yes, opening suspicious mail attachments, testing unknown programs is equivalent to allow executables, and therefore key loggers could have a start. That's not the way I use Sandboxie: that's the reason I tend to think Sandboxie can be your main protection as long you don't keep anything from the sandbox and have restrictions activated. In that sense Zemana would be a welcome addition to Sandboxie. I personally prefer to run an anti-virus even though they are notoriously weak with key loggers.

Here we go, something I've never heard before, and I'm certainly going to follow suit! Thanks.

24. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

I'm already using Prevx SOL (facebook edition) and KeyScrambler. Would Zemana be a good addition to those, or would it just replicate what they already do (and possibly result in conflicts)?

If I do install Zemana, should I uninstall KeyScrambler and/or set SOL to a lower security setting (currently I have it at max - see pic) or reinstall prevx completely without the SOL component?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

@ Osaban & Page42:

AFAIK from my experience, if you "terminate" the running programs in Sandboxie, you won't be able to "delete" as the sandbox should already be empty. (I guess unless somehow something got left behind, which I've never seen.) Let me know what you find, please.

EDITED TO ADD:

I just posted a question regarding this issue over at the Sandboxie forum...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.