Zemana caught FF

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CloneRanger, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Trying to grab a screenie o_O

zff.gif

Don't know why FF would do that on it's own ? Anyone seen this behaviour before ?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Just started happening? is this with latest FF? Maybe something to do with plugin-container.exe (as a pure speculation)

3. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Yup, I've been seeing this since FF 3.6.4. But only 3-4 times and not for the past few days. I allow but don't create a rule.

And I keep forgetting to click "View more details." :ouch:

Good observation!

4. CloneRanger

@Cudni

First time today, as far as i can recall.

v3.0.13 No plans to update yet ;)

What plugin could do that ?

TIA

5. CloneRanger

@LODBROK

Not just me then :eek:

I denied, better safe than sorry i think ;)

Yeah, wish i had now :( If there's a next time i will. If you see it again before me, please post with the details :thumb:

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that .exe is to do with
    "..
    If a plugin crashes or freezes, it will not affect the rest of Firefox. You will be able to reload the page to restart the plugin and try again. "

Only applicable to latest FF but as you are running an earlier version it think Zemana might be overcautious (another speculation :) )

7. CloneRanger

@Cudni

If it is that ? i don't mind. If it was all the time then :thumbd:

That's ok, an answer is better than none, even if it's speculation ;) Sometimes hunches etc turn out to be correct :)

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Well, since it's being seen in v3.0, then it's not related to the new-in-v3.6.4 plugin container. In hindsight I can't say for certain if any of the rare alerts might have occurred in my previous FF version.

Since it is so recent in my experience, I would then think maybe the June 6 Zemana 1.9.2.206 update is what set off this overcautious behavior.

We'll probably never see it again now that we're trying to figure it out. :D

9. CloneRanger

@LODBROK

Maybe ?
    Yes that's often the way it goes ;)

10. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Since I started running FFox 3.6.6 & .7 I haven't been seeing the Zemana, still at 1.9.2.206, alert at all anymore.

FWIW, I have been playing with SpyShelter Free (set to auto allow confirmed applications) on another system running XP sp3. It's constantly logging events for Firefox 3.6.7. In fact, for that log spanning about three days, FF represents about 80% of the entries.

Perhaps the Zemana alert isn't (wasn't) so unusual after all. :isay:

Attached Files:

11. lolpop

lolpop Registered Member

Wow, I thought it's an Agnitum Outpost false positive :blink: (as I'm using it), turned out that other security software detects it as well.

12. CloneRanger

@LODBROK

Interesting, thanks for the feedback :thumb:

@lolpop

Indeed, and it's nice to know some do :thumb:

13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Of course, since that posting, that Zemana alert popped up the first time FF 3.6.8 loaded up. I have home page set as the start page which is about:blank, so it's got to be an extension needing that permission. I'm thinking FlashBlock or LinkScanner or something that has to monitor what's screening up. Heck, who cares? I created a Zemana allow rule and I'm done with it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.