Zemana AntiMalware 2 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Emre TINAZTEPE, Jan 20, 2015.

1. siketa

siketa Registered Member

+1

2. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Victek! The obvious...is reinstate the Scan Engine List...it provides your Customer with a Peace Of Mind Factor. Why remove it in the first place? Sincerely...Securon

3. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Dumbing down the app to 'shield average users', if that was the intent, is asinine in my view.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yes, I feel insulted...I am dumb enough as it is. ;)

P.S. Seriously, Zemana not a good move.

5. metmichallica

metmichallica Registered Member

Are you totally sure they took those engines out? I mean they could have only hidden them.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

By all means yes. Please fix to show Portable link.

7. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

That seems to be the aim of a majority of the security software developers lately anyway. And speaking of majority, that's exactly what the "average user" is. So it should be no surprise as a marketing strategy since this is who fills their coffers the most.

8. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Protecting the newbies are easy. Put the option to enable engine names in detection as an option buried deep down in advanced options, newbies won't touch it. Even the logs, which will almost never be opened by newbies, don't show the engines now.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

FWIW shielding average users is not a marketing strategy, but in fact what they need in order to use computers in general; the complexity must be hidden. I'm all for making advanced settings available though. As Phalanaxus says they can be buried in the UI where average users fear to tread :) Why access has been removed in ZAM only the devs can say (and it would be nice if they would say).

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Yes but they don't say, even though they are asking for input on this thread. And that is enough to chase me away from ZAM.

11. metmichallica

I emailed Zam and asked them if they still use those other vendors. I'll let you know what they say.

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

They bought the whole package so I'm guessing they still do....

13. metmichallica

It has been said by someone on this board they don't, because Zam isn't picking up something that the engines they use detect. So we will see hopefully later today.

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Still no answer...:confused:

15. siketa

siketa Registered Member

AFAIK, no...there is not.

16. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

If you guys are going to insist on making incontrovertibly valid points then it's going to be harder for Emre to post otherwise. Crimson cheeks are showing already... who'd a thunk that avatars could be so expressive. :isay:

17. Lagavulin16

Not sure I would agree, much less appreciate your "correction" since shielding average users is obviously a ZAM directive in response to the so-called targeted market need. But let's call it what it is. They've apparently decided to do 180 (more or less) degree turnaround and marginalize the "advanced users" in their decision process/implementation. And that is that as they say. In following Emre's posts, I mean this as a compliment when I say I believe he would have made a great used car salesman. Just don't get your hopes up in light of the legitimately contentious posts that have recently ensued.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My apologies as I didn't put things properly. I meant the opinion about the need to hide complexity (for average users) in a general sense. Your take on the situation may be quite right. It is problematic when features are removed without explanation. If we don't get an honest explanation I guess that will be our answer.

By the way, you have an uncanny resemblance to Frank Zappa :)

19. Lagavulin16

@Victek My friend, apologies are so unnecessary here that even the word defies definition. And if I could be so lucky as to resemble in any way the brilliant genius that was the late great Frank Z...
    Although, I do have an exquisitely handsome black feline that sits on my shoulder just the same... :-*

p.s. "Roxy and Elsewhere" and "Zappa in New York" ... to die for jams not to be missed.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  20. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

We wait with bated breath, Emry.

21. metmichallica

Their response to my question:

Answer to your question is, Yes, our antimalware still uses 6 different scanning engines.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  23. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

But oddly, there is no response to the request by many in this thread, to make them visible again, even if only in an advanced view.
    e.g. I use EIS which uses BitDefender scanner, I would want to have the option of unticking that in ZAM.

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Oops, as he said when he last checked in...Now, I can understand when a developer goes absent. ;)

25. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I'd like to see the engine selection returned...As for removing the option to prevent confusing Joe Average it could be added to the Advanced options that is already there with an additional warning about de-selecting the engines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.