zdnet: who has the most popular av now

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

one more strange thing where are other big names like

gdata, comodo, bitdefender, dr web, f-secure ....etc

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Other - 11.1% worldwide market share

3. m0unds

m0unds Guest

what does this have anything to do with what i said? :rolleyes:

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

No, the tool enumerates various applications on the system: Security, IM, P2P, and who knows what else. One doesn't need to be affiliated in order to be counted.

Case in point: Avast used to have a poor relationship with OPSWAT and didn't even have OESIS certification like most other security firms. In fact it took until the end of 2011 before they finally joined the program. Despite this, Avast have featured quite high on the OPSWAT marketshare report for years.

Also Avast used to be quite dismissive of Appremover, despite it doing a better job than their own uninstaller (IME).

Good question - I don't know. Does the tool count the security software that it's about to remove, or does it somehow surveil post-uninstall to see what new software is put on? Someone should ask really :)

5. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

I mean to say i have seen ESET on Pcs which aren't used by Dentists..:D :D

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I would NEVER EVER use MSE.

I heard many things about its ability to remove viruses but never believed them until a few days ago I visited my small 12 year old sister and MSE kept popping up with 5 false positives....they were for a program called "Windows Expert Tool" which is a false positive as I got it from a trusted place and that program is simply used to extract and backup your Windows or OFfice product keys.....

Anyway, when I hit remove/ deleted on those FPs within MSE, it would say it removed them but 5 seconds later, it would give you another popup saying it detected 5 viruses and it's those same files again...

IT kept doing this forever despite a few reboots...

crappy AV no better than the useless Windows Defender....

Avast! free FTW

I personally never like to use FREE AVs though as I dont trust anything that is FREE! Bitdefender Internet Security FTW but for other people who refuse to pay I put avast for them

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Theres NO way I believe ESET is in 2nd place! Their products have been plagued by problems for years now.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

It is not uncommon to switch off an AntiVirus when using such a "Tool".
    As you knew these were FP's, so why did you remove/deleted then?
    How many AV's did you try, let's say, the past year and having trouble with. It seems you are changing quite a lot your AV's and ran into trouble.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

An you are totally wrong. Maybe Version1 or 2 but 4 is just as good and reliable as amy of the paid products out on the market. It is going to be interesting to see where it is in a year or so. To me, combining it with Sandboxie for free is about as secure and cheap as you can go.:thumb:

10. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

So what is it with you mate?? You sung and praised ESET, then you bashed them! ( I followed ALL your comments on your love hate of V5) You bash Bitdefender for unscrupulous business practices, now you recommend it to otherso_O Now it's MSE. " You would never use MSE"...,hmm..., I recall you saying you would never use Bitdefender ever again. What gives?? Funny guy you are mate!o_O

11. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Just helped a friend to clean an MSE protected PC with a Fake.Alert HDD trojan ;) It's a popular AV, so malware authors just keep making minimal changes to get around the signature based detections of MSE.

12. m0unds

m0unds Guest

lol, ok - i still haven't :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.