ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Perman, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, unhappy viewer; Thanks for the remarks. I never use a third party means to drum up opinion to my benefit. You have reminded not only me but also a lot of others that it is ZA's trend to have a bundle of problems at the beginning of the new version. As I have said previously on two seperate occasions, ZA never have learned from their previous mistakes and still conducting the tactics of shooting first and then aiming later games. This forum is users friendly one, we watch out for each other, we remind each other of traps, black clouds on horizon. I sincerely assume that you have no objection to this, have you? If ZA wants a hired gun for rossy reports, I have no troubles doing just that. But that is not an open forum designed for. Any successful venture, its master has to have open mind to accept yas and nays. Seeing is believing, I think some people have already seen enough. This is my own opinion, judge it yourself accordingly. Strictly business, nothing personal. :)BTW, I am a happy user of ZASS v.6.5.737

2. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

I don't believe that is the case. ZL had originally anticipated that the open beta was to have only lasted for 4-6 weeks, trying to make a release before 2007 came. However the beta period was extended by 3 more weeks than originally anticipated if my calculations are correct. I believe ZL only shifts their product from beta to retail when bug reports are no longer coming in (which would indicate that beta testers no longer experience any problems). This would indicate that ZL probably does not have the "release first and patch later" mentality unlike some computer game producers (Hint: EA).

3. noway

noway Registered Member

It's a good user forum they've got. It's too bad that ZoneLabs doesn't want to expend the resources to monitor that forum for issues with their software and suggestions for improvement. I spend about 5 minutes/day there and I don't even use their software, so you would think they could assign one of their staff to spend some time there for a few minutes/day. I think that is a waste of a valuable resource and could be used by them to supplement their beta-testing. I think their technical support contact form is for registered users only and you have to enter a licence number. I guess they don't want helpful feedback (suggestions/bug reports) unless you're registered (paid).

4. henryg

henryg Registered Member

1. You get a BSOD.
    2. You must go through 15 steps just to uninstall (in case normal uninstall can’t be run).
    3. If everything else fails.... you can have access to Zone Labs expert technical support by telephone....Cost is $2.95 per minute, billed to your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card. LoL!

BTW, here are these steps:

To remove ZoneAlarm completely from your computer in case normal uninstall can’t be run or doesn’t run properly, do the following:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  5. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Hmmm.
    1. No BSOD here
    2. I just tried to uninstall in the Add and Remove and the uninstall and the new install was good.
    3. I just checked out the site. The email support is free and the BSOD report and Technical Support email is free.

This still looks like a bargain to me for twenty bucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  6. mango

mango Registered Member

i tried the pro version, and it crippled my local network.

setup-

cable Modem-wireless router-Media box with tp cable.

i have an laptop with zonealarm connected by wireless.

i use the media box to stream video stored on the pc.

after installing 7.0.302.000 the speed is crippled, video is choppy if anything is uploaded or downloaded on the laptop.

Also uploading to the box gets slow speed, if i do anything else like surfe the net.

uninstalled ZA, and now its back to normal again.

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledxw8.jpg

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I just want to say my opinion about the new ZoneAlarm free firewall .

I am very disappointed from the new release . I knew it was BETA but yesterday I deciced to check if it has got out of BETA , opened their site and downloaded the non-beta 7 variant .

From the beginning of the download process I became very frightened because I noticed it is ~38 MB big . God , what is this monster , resourses hog and free hard drive space eater . I don't know what is improved and what is not but , d*** , the previous version is 13 mb , the new one 38 mb .

I say NO to ZoneAlarm .

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It must have been ZASS. The ZAP I d\l is under 15.

9. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Unfortunately ... Nope

Attached Files:

11. ThunderZ

I do not know what you have there HiTech_boy. But I just d\l it again from the link by gre87y. 14.4 as atated.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thanks but his link is for ZAP (Zone Alarm professional) . I am talking about the free ZA . I am not a paid ZA user . Obviously (as you see) there is quite a big difference between the free and the paid one . Guess what a monster is in these 38.1 MBs o_O

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have just been to ZA, downloading the "Free" version did show the file as 38.1mb

Attached Files:

• za.JPG
      za.JPG
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  14. ThunderZ

:eek: Right you are. Just d\l it to see for myself. WOW It must be that they include ZASS trial vers. option? I am not opening it up to find out.;)

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Have no idea ... Thanks for confirming , Stem and ThunderZ

16. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Downloaded from the link I posted earlier.

Attached Files:

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

This link is for the download of Zone Alarm Pro which is 14.4 MB.

The download of Zone Alarm Free is here
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

This program file is over 38 MB in size so the Free is bigger than the Pro version?? LOL

Apparently, the free version is really a full AS + FW while the Pro version is strictly FW + some antispyware features.

I don't like programs with excess baggage after a certain trial period. That is why I stayed away from programs such as the new Kerio firewall and AVG Antispyware. :thumbd:

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The Pro history page provides a more information on the most recent update than the Free version.
    If the Free version had only a the few listed updates, then that would not justify the huge jump in size. o_O
    Free version summary:

They probably are not listing what was REALLY added in the version history summary until they have enough time to write down the entire "novel length" information. LOL

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

20. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

The reason the new free version is so large...........

From Major Geeks website:

Editors Note: The new 7 version of Zone Alarm free includes Zone Alarm Security Suite, explaining its large size. You do not have to install it and it now has some minor nag screens, at least on first install.

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

yep, that's it. Nag screens take up a lot of code. Those fancy GIF and BMP files will do it. :D THey decided to follow Sunbelt's FW example apparently.

22. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

23. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Time to eat my words! :p Well, it seems that the program doesn't want to provide updates anymore. I'm speaking of ZAAV, ZAAS, and ZASS. The auto and manual update features of both the virus and spyware signatures seems to be constipated for a large number of users. I've been assured that the problem is being worked upon. BTW, has Comodo released their version 2.4 yet? (:D)

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

QBgreen- Still waiting for the CPF update. At his point I'll wait until tomorrow to check again. :p

25. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

QBgreen.
    I just got the updates not five minutes ago. I suppose that is the advantage of actually having a version installed and running it, instead of just speculating about a software instead.

I am curious why there is so much chatter about Comodo in this thread. Those posts are not about ZA, but just chatter about the Comodo. Is it not a ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000 thread? Anybody have a good answer for that? Is there not a Comodo thread somewhere else?

12fw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.