ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Perman, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The following is a list of suspicious 'behaviour' that ZA's OS FW protects against, are you really saying other FWs do all this:-

1) Modifications of the Startup directory;

2) Modification of browser search defaults;

3) Modification of browser page defaults;

4) Unloading of driver;

5) Transmission of Dynamic Data Exchange input;

6) Sending Windows messages;

7) A program trying to kill another program;

8 ) Invoking open process/thread (ie a program trying to control another program);

9) Monitoring keyboard and mouse input;

10) Remote control of keyboard and mouse input;

11) Installation of driver;

12) Modification of physical memory;

13) Injection of code into a program or system service;

14) Modifying network parameters (ie changing network settings);

15) Launching an unknown or bad program from a good one;

16) Modification of Registry settings;

17) Deletion of a run key;

18 ) Modification of ZA program.

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Yes thats impressive>
    do you think the average user will want to put up with all the alerts or even worse will they be confused. Anyway does KAV protect against spyware? What did they do to the Anti spyware portion of this suite.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Woody777 - If you go to the Comodo site and navigate it looking at the screen shots and such, you get the false impression that it is complicated. I investigated Comodo in fear for about a month mostly at their forum, and was assured by users that I could set it up to operate automatically like ZA. I took a chance and installed it, which was really simple, and there literally is no learning curve to set it up. I clicked a radio button so it would recognize my system and not bother me with pop ups for existing apps, and it was in the learning mode by default. Done. After you've got it running, you can take your time and check out the different modes. I've got it for a few months now and I don't know too much more than when I started except it's alot like ZA except for the layout. I don't think it has any more pop ups than ZA, and it's light on its feet. :D

4. ink

ink Registered Member

Zap maybe is better at smart answer and system firewall, for those choose kav+zap 5, I think KIS6 is better.

5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Ok I will think about this. I suppose if I can control old Sygate I could make a firewall do anything. You could be right about this but then I would have to uninstall ZA & thats something to do with caution. Anyway ZoneAlarm & NOD32 are working perfectly together. I don't really need any other spyware protection with NOD32 but I do have A2 & AVG antispyware plus firefox with no script. I just don't think I should do this for no good reason.

6. apm

apm Registered Member

ZAAS block www.pcflank.com saying its spy site, is this reasonable?

and there is no exclusion option :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  7. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Zone Alarm Pro (v. 6.5.737.000) had failed PC Flank's leak test. So now it looks like in the new version (7.0.302.000), they have added "pcflank.com" in their "spy site blocking" list (Anti-spyware setting). It doesn't make sense.... to avoid the leak test....they just block the whole site? Well that's not good....

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Interesting, out of curiosity, I clicked the PC Flank's link, and it is blocked, by what? ZASS v.6.5.737 ? which is the only firewall installed here. Did not know until now.:rolleyes:

9. TopperID

It has always been blocked, due to an error, but if you give it access (with a left click) it will no longer be blocked.

Attached Files:

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You are right. After click, the road is clear. Thanks. TopperID, have a nice one.:)

11. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Just did that. And guess what....The new version of Z.A. Pro has failled PCFlank's leak test. No wonder why they are trying to block that website.....

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: My copy of v.6.5.737 has also failed PC Flank's antileak test. But something is very interesting; PC Flank also made such a statement: Only two products have passed its test, so far. They are Tiny Firewall 2005 and Outpost Firewall pro (no version has been mentioned). So.... what does this tell us? o_O Outdated ?or insufficient?

13. TopperID

Most FWs fail that leak test. It's not important at the moment because it is 'proof of concept'; there is no evidence that malware actually uses this technique. However I expect ZA will plug the breach in due course, just to please those who are worried about it.

The recent KAV 6 MP1 release does stop the leak, but that only applies to the PDM in KAV 6 which the new ZASS does not have (it is only using the KAV engine - not the whole of KAV).

14. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

TOPPERID,
    What does only using the KAV engine in ZA mean? Aren't they going to use KAV's signature files and heuristics?

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

He is saying that ZA has only licensed the AV engine. They use the whole engine -heuristics, extended database (?)- but not the behaviour blocker (PDM) which may generate conflicts with ZA´s OS firewall.

16. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Well, if it's only behavior that will not be in the security suite, one could use Cyberhawk. Still, it should be a pretty solid product.

17. apm

apm Registered Member

the no connection problem maybe caused by enable ARP protection in Firewall>main>advanced, cause untick it i have no connection back.

18. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

KIS has all of that except for number 7, :thumb:

19. Tod

Tod Registered Member

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:thumbd: Installed ZoneAlarm Pro 7 today to see what it was all about :blink: No difference at all , Its just a Number nothing else instead of 6 its now 7:gack: And it still takes a bloody eternity to load when booting up nearly 40 damn seconds on the welcome screen, That is just no good whatsoever. So much for all the excitement about this long awaited update

21. TopperID

Yes but KIS 6 is not just a FW, it is a suite that also includes the PDM of KAV 6; that is why it covers those things.

BTW - the most important changes in the latest version of ZAP only really cover improvements to the Spyware scanner.

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: within ZASS 7.0.302, beside the new AV engine, the new AUTO-LEARN feature seems worth some attention. Is it really new? or just rebranded from elsewhere. Can someone share your findings? With v.7 's launch, it could spell out the final days of ZoneLabs( the name only). Two things are noticeable, Icon(shape and colour). And the official name of Zone Alarm, now is called ZA by Check point. From business pt.of view, you do not change your so-called trade mark, unless it is very much necessary. Just few observations.:)

23. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I installed the new ZASS 7.0.302.000 yesterday (updated from ZASS 6.5.737) on my Notebook (1Ghz PIII w/512 RAM and shared video memory) and it works great. I also use ZASS (but with real time AV component and IMSecurity disabled) and NOD32 2.7 on my 2Ghz AMD Athlon XP based CPU desktop system along with some additional anti-spyware programs.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  24. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;) Since the take over by CheckPoint, Zone Alarm is not what it used to be. Nowdays, they are providing you with patches to fix other patches.

25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Besides my previous post, I forgot to Add that I tried several methods to get it to load quickly. this is what I had to do, to reduce the welcome screen wait time ,which was 40 seconds,and an extra 30 seconds on just blank desktop, before the other programs even started to load :blink: So in reality it took nearly 3 minutes from rebooting before I could use my computer :mad: So I uninstalled it, Installed 6.1 and this started up almost immediately. BUT! when I clicked check for updates it said it was still 6.5 :blink: So after upgrading to 6.5 I then checked again,and only this time it said it was up to date :blink: So then I downloaded the trial from zone labs, and upgraded that way :rolleyes: HUGE! if not MASSIVE upgrading problems, and as I said before there really is no difference,The only thing I found that did work, was the Hotmail Login issue, other than that I thought F*** IT! and threw it out. Good thing I have Rollback Rx to jump back to my Other Snapshot :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.