ZAP 3.1 is available

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by javacool, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Through the Check For Updates feature in ZAP 3.0x, you can obtain a download to ZAP 3.1.
    I am installing this new version now on a test pc, and will report back.

-Javacool

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

blaze in tears all that great stuff but still no improve uninstall clean up=( why

its been so long

i know this is asking for alot and might be silly but=/

if zone alarm company wont make a clean uninstall utlity can maybe ummmmmmmmm one of you guys=)

i ask for all the newbys in mind
    pleas

ill beg on my kneas if i have to lol=)

3. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

When I try I get the "No Update available at this time" message. I'm running 3.0.137. Can you post a link.

4. Mr.Blaze

me to im go rip it out from the server lol holding back on software on blaze is a no no lol brb

5. Mr.Blaze

bah total garbage i gone to main site they advertise it all over the place but is it there no

thers zone alarm plus any every other link that would take you to zone alarm pro 3.1 trys to make you pay and add it to online shoping cart

or sell you other software bundles

they beter hope it aint one of those instant to bad you added it to cart things just by following the page and not clicking on the add to cart cause i see a big lawsuit

aol people have that for your online conviniance shoping thing

i wonder what happens if i hit up date a 1000 times a second lol for an hour

6. Mr.Blaze

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/zap30trial/zapSetup3026.exe will it was a paine but they say its 3.1 but look at the nimbers hmmm will i guess will see

buy the way paine to find all pages look same buy me add me to cart limited offer

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Sir Blaze,

a) building an uninstaller is ZoneLabs territory only;

b) you have expressed your opinion on this issue on many occasions on this board; I'm sure it did not go unnoticed. No need to go into an endless loop here;

c) In case you feel ZA is "total rubbish", ditch the program and install another one you're more comfortable with. No more ranting please; the choice of what software firewall you want to use is enterily yours.

regards.

paul

8. Mr.Blaze

i think your confused about my motivations only thing i hate is the uninstalling part and i know for a fact not just all newbys hate that

but a few of you pros experts hated that to

what was rubbish was trying to find the update lol i got lost there and by the way the update on za pro was saying that there was no new update but there was at the main za site
    thats what i was mainly wineing about

as for a za clean uninstaller i do think its a good ideal

many people here as well as other places have made add ons to there fire wall

for black ice and zone alarm to make it better

a few examples
    YALTA added 11/04/2001
    sophisticated new "Leaktest" for testing personal firewalls   4.0 stars

Tooleaky added 11/06/2001
    very sophisticated new "Leaktest for testing personal firewalls. Try it!   

firewall add-ons

AtGuard/NIS ruleset monitor
    displays all rules in detail   4.0 stars

NIS/AtGuard Log Viewer
    view, analyze, filter, sort and print the log, review rule & application details   3.5 stars

ZoneAlarm Log Lookup
    converts all IP addresses in hostnames   4.0 stars

Zonelog Analyzer v1.14 09/02/02
    displays ZonAlarm log file, lots of extra
    features   4.5 stars

VisualZone v5.7
    new version 09/08/2002
    Very nice ZoneAlarm (free and Pro) intrusion analyzer, now with DShield!   

VisualIce v4.7 new version 09/05/2002
    very nice BlackIce Defender intrusion analyzer   4.5 stars

Dice
    displays BlackICE evidence and log files   4.0 stars

AlarmStat
    shows numerous statistics for events in the ZoneAlarm log file, nice extra features   4.5 stars

BlackICE Attack List Viewer
    read the attack-list.csv without any problems with this add-on   4.5 stars

System Safety Monitor v1.8.4 04/14/02
    very nice monitoring tool with additional application firewalling, registry alerts etc.   4.0 stars

Mynetwatchman added 16/07/2001
    centralized firewall log analyzer for BlackICE and ZoneAlarm. Decodes, analyses, backtraces, filters the log file. Automaticly escalates appropriate incidents to the responsible site owner/ISP and provides full feedback (read FAQ!)   

not even made by the companys nor suported by them
    and that was my point

and as for kicking up dust on za pro that wasnt my attintion
    i know i caused a rukiest last time but not this time ZA pro is still the newby frindlyest and im sticking with it

but if thers a problem with it and i bought it i should be able to talk about it
    and who knows maybe some one with cohunes lol im perty sure i spelld that wrong lol but oh wat was i saying hold up i got notes some where here

thrash toss crunch dang where is it?

hold on hey is this thing still typing as i speak lol

thrash thrash i had some cool end argument point of view thinghy like an espiring jfk closeing statement lol

i guess im have to wing it uhmmmmmmm
    do not uhhhhhh ask what your za can do for you but what you can do for your za lol

and in conclustion i did not inhale

im all ears

i have a dream a better za

we the newbys

lol mumble muble something yadah yadah blahhhhhhhhhhh=)

i love you paul dont hate me cause im a winey newby lol

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Sir Blaze,

You summed up a) vulnerability tests b) addons. These are quite different from building an uninstaller for a specific software. Building such an uninstaller is a ZoneLabs issue only.

My main message is: you've made your point in regard to this issue many times. I'm sure you're dissappointed ZL didn't solve the uninstall problem - contact ZoneLabs and express your dissappointment. No need to post one and the same message over and over again on this board.

regards.

paul

10. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

11. javacool

My apologies for the late response:

ZAP 3.1 is running fine on the PC (and the installer actually allowed me to upgrade this time, instead of forcing me to manually uninstall the old version before the installer would run).

Loading time does seem to be reduced - plus several long standing bugs with the ad blocking seem to be resolved.

-Javacool

12. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

JavaCool,
    would you say this is ZoneLabs best effort yet ?
    I really liked ZA Pro, but it seemed a little unstable at times !!
    bill

13. javacool

It is probably their best version yet, yes.

It is very stable (haven't been able to crash the new version yet) and loads MUCH faster than previous ZA Pro 3.x versions.

Also, the uninstall now has the option to revert all changes ZoneAlarm Pro made to your system to the original condition (i.e. the installation procedure is greatly improved).

-Javacool

14. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I've been running the latest version for twenty-four hours now, and it seems really smooth and light. I haven't seen a single repeated permission request.

15. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Thanks !
    I may just give ZA another try !! :rolleyes:

bill

16. Mr.Blaze

will it dosent like me it works great on the net but i still get a few problems but not as nearly as much as befor.

i couldnt upgrade i had to attept to do a clean reinstall

some typ of conflicts with boclean windows me and zap screen freezes boclean not responding cant ctrl alt delet restart must do manuely

also when i select starrt on start up or auto update it starts aol 7.0 as i start my desk top

i know what the problem is i need to wipe it completly out of my system and reinstall.

i cant find the Ereg file to delet to completly clean it out like i did last time

is there even one in this new zap im drawing a blank here.

on a good note it reconized my licince as not haveing to be renewed and that i had 2hundred an some days left

i like that
    the aol on start up i just uncheck the zap on start up and auto update and it works fine now

but when i click zap manuely it starts aol imidiatly and dials up for me which is cool saves me the the step of cliking on aol icon to get to the net i actualy prefer it this way im lazy lol

i also notice im catching mor legitement attempts aka hackers with isp out of country with out the aol ip adress letting me know its most likely a hacker

service is better the fire wall is better
    still need a uninstall utlity it would be nice

all an all good fire wall

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Blaze,

Check your IM inbox ;)

18. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Accepted, if you give us the right link to the newest version of ZAP ;)

19. javacool

I don't know if I'm allowed to post that link. :rolleyes:

But if you haven't gotten a notification via the check for update feature, I would assume if you check today or tomorrow, you should receive one (they may be rolling it out a group at a time, like they did with ZA Free 3.0).

Just keep checking. :)

-Javacool

20. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Working link: http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10148660.html

21. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I've been using ZA Pro 3.1 for a few days now. It does seem more stable than it predecessors ! If any problems do develop, I will inform the forum !!
    I did notice one thing, but I can't remember if it was part of the older ZA's Pros as well.....
    after the initial install, during setup, ZA pro 3.1 tells you that it's OK for these "certain apps" to access the internet and allows them by default. These apps were ...Generic Host Processor for Win32 Services, IE6, and Services and Controller App. It states that these services have to able to access the internet to run. If I disallow Gen Host Processor using ZA pro 3.1, I'm cutoff from the net.
    If I disallow Gen Host Processor while using Sygate PFW, I can still connect to the net !!
    I love Firewalls !! LOL !!

regards,
    bill :)

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I generally don't run the Configuration Wizard in ZA, as I prefer to manually configure program access rites. (Which I've done more than a dozen times now, as I've rebuilt the true vector database for testing or changed versions.) On my XP system, I don't have to allow Generic Host Process or 'Service' to access out or have server rites, and everything still works. Maybe you just need to tweak a bit. If I can be of any help, let me know. :)

23. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

OK,
    Cant connect with "services and controller app" disabled
    Can connect with "gen host for win32 services" disabled.,
    But, with "gen host for win32 services" disabled, if I'm offline for awhile (lock all internet activity), i have to do a reboot to connect again !
    I don't have these issues with Sygate !!
    bill

24. me

me Registered Member

On my PC (OS: Windows ME) ZAP 3.1 causes a Dial-Up Networking Dialog box to appear when ZAP is first started. This is annoying and didn't happen in ZAP 3.0. I have selected "Check for product updates" manually in the Preferences Tab of the Overview panel, so I don't know why ZAP is so anxious for me to connect to the internet. Anyone else notice this?

25. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Nope, never happens to me. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.