zach3: SpywareBlaster problem w/SP2 and doubleclick

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by zach3, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.2 released!

I am running SpywareBlaster 3.2 and when I upgraded to XP SP-2 Home Edition and using IE to browse the Internet, I found an issue.

Any time I go to a page that has a "double click" ad there is a conflict that will lock up IE. I don't have an answer yet but disabling SpywareBlaster will solve the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Zach

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What SpywareBlaster does with doubleclick is merely adds "doubleclick.net" (and a couple other doubleclick sites) to the IE restricted zone. You ought to be able to confirm this by re-enabling all protections in SpywareBlaster, and then use its "Restricted Sites" screen to uncheck just the doubleclick(s). Let us know if that makes the problem go away.

3. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

LowWaterMark,

I have seen these ads and the other ones that seem to cause the problem but your solution does not seem to work.

I think, I don't know for sure but IE and SpywareBlaster seem to be banging heads with a timing issue. Which one blocks what first.

Zach

4. LowWaterMark

Well, the only problem with stating it like that is SpywareBlaster doesn't block anything on its own. It's not sitting there actively running trying to block things. All SpywareBlaster does is add sites into the actual IE Restricted Sites list. It uses the area that is available already in IE for this purpose.

All the sites that SpywareBlaster adds to the IE restricted sites list could basically be added by hand using the "IE > Tools > Internet Options... > Security tab > Restricted Sites > Sites... button". (SpywareBlaster is essentially just a loader program. Javacool has a list of spyware related items that basically translate into registry keys that could be added manually by people if they wanted to. The benefit of SpywareBlaster is it automates the process, and comes with a large list of known bad items / sites in its database.)

Now the key to determining the cause of the problem you are seeing is to isolate just what spyware blockage is causing the IE problem. If it wasn't the doubleclick items in the restricted sites list, then it could be any number of other things unfortunately.

So, first you can try enabling and disabling each of the major sections of SpywareBlaster protections, one at a time, to narrow it down. Start by enabling all protections & confirm the problem exists. Then in SpywareBlaster just disable the Restricted sites (open SpywareBlaster and click the Restricted Sites tab and clear the checkmark where it says "Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer"). Now retest. Does the issue go away? If it does re-enable the Restricted sites and confirm the problem comes back.

If it's not the Restricted Sites, then re-enable those (adding the checkmark again) and then go over to the Internet Explorer tab (one tab to the left of the Restricted Sites tab) and uncheck the "Prevent spyware/tracking cookies" item, which will disable all cookie blocks. Retest. If that isn't it, then re-check that item and uncheck the item above called "Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, dialers, etc." and restest.

These three areas: ActiveX controls, cookie blocks and restricted sites are the entire effect that SpywareBlaster has on IE's browsing. Uncheck all three and it is as if SpywareBlaster was never added to your system. Check each, one at a time, and you can see the effect of each of these three areas of protection, which should allow you to determine which one causes a specific problem.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Zach,

What SpywareBlaster does when you enable any of it's protections is enter the items in the registry in their appropriate IE locations and once the settings are made....SpywareBlaster can be closed down.

Internet Explorer ActiveX component protection
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility
    Spyware\tracking cookies protection
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
    Restricted Sites protection
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

You either still have doubleclick listed in the Restricted Zone of IE where cookies are always blocked OR you still have 1 or all 4 of doubleclicks cookies listed in SpywareBlasters cookie protection....which can also be seen via IE's Tools\Internet Options\Privacy\Web Sites section....select Edit button.

Edit
    Yeah....what LWM said :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  6. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

OK, here is what I have been able to find out and I am not sure this is the complete answer. When I disable SB's protection and do a complete un-install the problem goes away. Now this is a short test of a couple of hours of going to ZDNet, CNET, and some of the more offensive sites when it comes to bugs. I did check the IE "Restricted Zone" and noticed that the list of items had decreased considerably and the "double click", "*ad" items were gone. I guess the real question is why does this occur with SP-2 and not with XP prior to SP-2?

7. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

Please let me add one other thing that could also be part of the problem. I also had Spybot installed. This is now deleted also. I did a thorough search of the registry for both programs and deleted everything I could find relating to those programs, re-booted and so far I have encountered no difficulties.

8. LowWaterMark

Well, it's hard to say what exactly is going on. SP2 is fairly new and we have not had any reports from others with any similar problem, so at this point I don't think we have enough information to even make much of a guess.

The important thing is that your system works properly, of course. We'll have to see what other people post, and see if anyone else reports the same kind of thing. :doubt:

9. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

I appreciate both of your kind efforts with this and I am sure there is an answer somewhere. I have 3 Machines with XP on them, 2 Pro and 1 Home Edition, and they all functioned fine with the software prior to the SP-2 upgrade. They now all exhibit exactly the same issue with IE. I have tried to take my time with this in order to narrow the cause down to an identifiable item but something is missing.

Sometimes I wish I new programing code and how these packages communicated with each other!

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Zach,

If you don't mind would you share one of the links where this is happening. Also....you mentioned Spybot and was wondering if you would re-install that program and apply the same settings you had before. In particular....if you used it's Immunize, TeaTimer or it's SDhelper(bad download blocker) functions the last time....would you also enable them this time and re-visit some of these sites.

11. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

Bubba,

I will set aside one system so we can run any tests that you think will give some good information and I will attempt to document everything that I do in as much detail as possible.

Computer: "Vector"
    Intel CPU 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 512K cache
    1 Gig Ram
    ASUS MB
    Windows XP SP-2 Professional
    IE Browser

Tonight I will re-install Spybot and set it up to see if there are any noticeable issues with it alone, using the settings you have mentioned above. I will go to the sites where I have encountered problems and report back.

Here are a couple of the sites:

http://www.zdnet.com/
    http://www.cnet.com/
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?iPage=lqd&Symbol=ASYT

These sites above may or may not cause a problem but will when a link on the page is clicked to go to another site. All depends on what is on them at any given time of the day or week. Totally random.

Have Fun, I will report back.

Zach

12. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

I re-installed Spybot and have run with all of the protection activated. So far I have seen no difficulties. TeaTimer and SDhelper seem to function properly without causing problems.

What approach should I take next? Remove Spybot completely including cleaning the registry. Then install SpyWareBlaster and run the same basic web browsing or, install SpyWareBlaster and attempt to run it alongside of Spybot?

Keep in mind that they both ran together without difficulties prior to SP-2.

Maybe just a clean install of both programs is all that these machines are looking for?

Zach

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good thought and I would then follow the instructions LowWaterMark gave earlier.

14. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

I have found that if I eliminate "doubleclick.net" in the "Restricted Zone" and un-check it in the SpywareBlaster "Restricted Sites" list the problem is resolved. I will continue to run with this configuration and update the posts as I find other items, if any.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Zach

15. zach3

zach3 Registered Member

I tried another approach today just to learn something. I loaded these programs on a Windows 98SE machine that is totally up-to-date as far as IE goes, security updates etc.

I have been to every site that previously caused problems and have none. I checked the "Restricted Sites" in "Internet Options" and doubleclick is there.

All I can figure is that the update to XP SP-2 made some change to IE and it does not like this configuration.

Hopefully some one else will find the solution/cause.

Zach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.