ZA with SurfinGuard Pro 5.7

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Jordan, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan

Jordan Guest

Can somebody please tell me if SurfinGuard Pro 5.7 works correctly with Zone Alarm 2.6.362 ?

I tried running SurfinGuard Pro 5.6 on my computer with Zone Alarm and my browser refused to even load up before.After I uninstalled SGP 5.6 my browser works correctly.

I was hoping somebody with ZA and SGP 5.7 installed could help me by telling me if both programs are compatible with each other.

Thank you.
    Jordan

2. snowman

snowman Guest

well over a year ago I tryed surfin guard an encountered major problems...constent lock-ups..crashes....an other......at the time I was using ZA but I don't believe that was the ZA was the cause of the problems.......removing surfin guard solved all problems in my case.

surfin guard is a good product....its changed since I last used it........but no I would not try it again.
    ..........seems I recall that surfin guard said it wasn't compatable with some firewalls.......am not absolutely sure of this....it was so long ago.....but certainly bears checking into.    I very much like the concept of surfin guard.

best of luck

snowman

3. Jordan

Jordan Guest

Thanks for the info.

Can you please tell me if there's another Protective Sandbox program that will work on Win95 with Zone Alarm 2.6.362 installed?

If anybody is using SurfinGuard Pro 5.7 what free personal firewalls are you using with it?

Thanks.
    Jordan

4. snowman

snowman Guest

Jordon

ok...the following is not from my personal experience...so I 'can't be certain if its correct.

during some research on this....one person said that they briefly used zone alarm pro and surfin guard pro (beta) without any problems.....BUT that using surfin guard together with the Opera broswer did cause problems.........also,  its been reported that surfin guard pro is a resourse hog........(hows your resourses)

the only other sandbox program that comes to mind is Tiny Trojan Trap......requires administror capabilties......may not be right for you.....

don't overlook that internet explorer has a sandbox feature.......its worked very well for me...hey this is internet explorer so certainly its not the best  LOL
    someone else here may offer a suggestion....personally I've been looking for a decent "sandbox for years..no luck.

Jordon obviously I don't know how much computer experience you have....so please don't be offended if I offer a few comments...

you using win95 does limit you somewhat....an if you are running a virus scanner..zone alarm firewall plus whatever other programs you may have running...then there is a fairly good chance that you are low on resourses......on dial-ups this can cause disconnections....it can causes computer to hang..etc....an if surfin guard is a resourse hog...well you may just have had a resourse problem......

there is a freeware program call MAXMEM that you may want to check out...it works well on win95...i just installed it on my niece's computer........you can locate the program at www.analogX.com   under "systems" I think.    in your case I would suggest that if you decide to install it..just use it "out of the box" an don't change its settings.    

snowman

5. snowman

snowman Guest

Jordon

as a pre-caution I felt a need to comment on your question about firewalls......afterwards you may want to post in the firewall forum here to receive further comments.

there are numerous free firewalls....with the exception of zone alarm many of the free firewalls are "rule based".........if you decide to use a rule base firewalls.....there will be a learning curve if you don't know how to properly make rules......an those rules must be set correctly otherwise you actually end up with a less than fully secure firewall........it would be well worth your effort and time......

notice that I am not suggesting any particular firewall......thats very much a personal choice..an should be made only after discussing it with other firewall users....who can offer their insight on whichever firewall you are interested in.

snowman

6. Jordan

Jordan Guest

I read that Tiny Trap 3.0 needs Win98 SE or higher to run on.

Could you tell me how to do the sandbox feature in Internet Explorer?I'm using IE 5.5 SP2

Last time I used a memory manager program called Cachman it caused several blue screen of death errors and when I uninstalled the program is screwed up my BIOS so when I start or reboot my harddrive doesn't get found at random times.I decided to stay away from those kind of programs from now on.

I now have 5 years of computer experience and I can modify hardware drivers easily.

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Jordan

IE   sandbox

right click on the IE icon...then click on "properties"

security/custom level/java permissions/custom

Jordan I also experienced problem with cachman....some people swear its a great program....but its not for me.....LOL

MaxMem is a program that would be used with a program like cachman.....they compliment each other.

however..if you don't feel comfortable with a program you should not use it imo......an I definitely would not encourage anyone to use a program they are not comfortable with.

hope some of this has been of alittle help

snowman

8. Jordan

Jordan Guest

Thank you for all of the helpful information you have provided me with.I got the sandbox setup just right.I have been wondering for a long time now what that Custom option was for the Java but never actually looked at it up until now.

I hope that if a good sandbox program is released that it may be downloaded by the Wilders website.

Thanks again.
    Jordan

9. snowman

snowman Guest

Jordan

you are most welcome.....an if you ever locate a nice sandbox program please me know.....I would sure appreciate it.....an others here would also.

wishing you the very best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.