ZA Windows Explorer Alert Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by richrf, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

ZoneAlarm sent me a message that it detected a new version of Windows Explorer that was asking for access to my network. I declined permission because I do not remember updating Windows Explorer recently. The version (under properties) is 6.0.2800.1221 (xpsp2.030511-1403), the byte length is 973kb and it is located in the Windows directory. It shows it was last modifed on Sunday, May 11, but I do not recall doing any kind of updates at that time. I also found another copy of explorer in a file folder called \windows\$NtUninstallKB820291$.

How do I confirm that my copy of Explorer is a valid version (e.g., version number, byte length, etc.), and if it isn't, how can I remove this copy and install a valid copy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Richrf,

Is Windows Update set to run automatically on your machine? If so, then this may be the reason why you do not remember making such an update.

The update itself (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 820291) does include a new explorer.exe file and the file details (listed at the end) do appear to match so this would seem legitimate. A scan with an updated anti-virus shouldn't do any harm though. :)

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rich

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The most that Automatic Updates will do is download the update and tell you that it is available--it won't install the update and reboot the computer without you knowing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.