ZA to Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ThunderZ, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:D Patients is not one of my stronger virtues....:doubt: But the need for the proper blend of function and security is. As long as I am running ZA on the lap top it will be the old 4.5 vers. Using only 8.5 Mb between it`s two running processes, and able to see the mapped drive. :D But if I remember right, Comodo only loads one process at about the same load, maybe less. Plus, more up to date in the security department. But I really need access to the shared network drive. :'(

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Good old version 4.5. :D Version 5.5 was also a good one. As for the newer versions, 6.1.744.001 is another keeper, but stay away from the other ones. Some folks have no problem with a particular version and another person will do the deep six. Go figure. The problem is management could care less about the customer. Not like the old company.:'(

3. ThunderZ

Strangely enough, only ever had problems with the first 6.x vers. Did originally as an upgrade. Got a BSOD on restart. Tried as a clean install following complete un-install directions. Still a BSOD. Eventually tracked it down to a problem with my altered boot screen. Returned to the original boot screen, no problems sense with any vers. Upgrade or clean install. Have a copy of just about every vers. sense 4.5. Do you recall the last one that was FW only?

Such is the way things are going with many a large company now. Their excuse "We know best. It is for your own good." Their reason= $$$$$$

4. ThunderZ

No Takers?

Went to ZA 5.5.094.00 as it seems to behave a little better with my wireless connection. Still no Takers on lending a hand for a switch to Comodo? Can`t say as I blame you. :rolleyes: ;) :D

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had to go back to page one to see what your question was, I forgot. I can't help you with rules, but the COMODO forum can. Just go to the firewall section and click help. I used ZA so long as is, I don't have a clue about rules. That's my new quest, to learn firewall 101.

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

ZA 4.5.594 is the gold standard if you feel you must use ZA. I certainly agree with this. ;)

I still have my copy of this in the Pro version, but even this version I had some minor issues, similar to those discussed here. I have moved on, but will hold on to my copy of ZA Pro 4.5 as I would not hesitate to give away to family or friend hurting for funds, but really appreciates the need for good security, and could use a helping hand. :)

I would encourage others here to do the same. So many just don't care or take the big risk. It's all about giving a helping hand. Remember those experts and knowledgable creatures who come here and offer their time and expertise to assist those in need for free. Wilders creatures should do what we can too. :thumb:

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Correct! Manangement of Checkpoint could care less, not like the old company. You got that right. :(

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Currently I´m looking for a new firewall, and since I see that a lot of people are positive about Comodo I will check it out, but what I liked about ZA was that the firewall rules where quite easy to understand (trusted/internet zone, local/internet server access) is this the same for Comodo? Also, does it have password protection? :)

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think cpf is as easy as ZA. You set it and forget it. All I did was install it in automatic configuration, click to have it scan my computer to remember what I already have, and let it alone. All I have to do is click the pop ups allow or deny. Sorry, I don't know about password protection. :)

10. Rasheed187

Well, I´ve tried a couple of firewalls and I didn´t like any of them. Comodo does seem to be a quite powerful firewall but it does not seem to be complete compatible with my other HIPS, I get the "high CPU usage" problem on my virtual machine. I´m also not that happy with the GUI plus it seems to popup a lot more alerts than ZA.

I´ve also tried Outpost v4 and Jetico but I didn´t like them at all, I still think that ZA is the most easy to understand and easy to use firewall, so for the moment I will wait for a fix, luckily only the zclient.exe part is not working, but the firewall still blocks stuff. :rolleyes:

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Rasheed - I don't know about your high cpu problem, but Comodo probably puts up more pop ups because it's stopping more than ZA. As for HIPS, Comodo will be including Hips in version 3. When, I don't know. :)

12. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Hi all,

I've just joined the budding throng moving from ZA pro to Comodo.

My ZA pro has been playing up ever since the last few updates. In particular the true vector engine (which provides the protection) shuts down quite often when the computer is idle or running unintrusive programs over a long time (like bit torrent).

So, I've made the move away from ZA, probably not before time. Before that I was with Symantec for way WAY too long. If Comodo doesn't work to my liking, I'll give Outpost a try but I must say my first impression of Comodo are very positive. Great interface and easy installation and excellent forum.

13. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm thinking of giving comodo a go again

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Philebus & cheater - :thumb: :D :D :D

15. Rasheed187

@ twl845

Well I´m not sure if Comodo is really blocking more stuff, perhaps an expert can comment on this, but I believe its approach is a bit different. But I did notice that it performs very badly when it comes to leaktests. IMO this can never be a good sign.

And btw, I´m not interested in having a firewall with HIPS, that was exactly the reason why I upgraded to ZA v6.5, I wanted to turn off the HIPS, IMO standalone HIPS are currently better. I have also checked out Kerio v4 btw, and it seems to be very easy to use, just like ZA, GUI isn´t bad either, but it´s also failing a lot of leaktests. :rolleyes:

16. lumstruck

lumstruck Registered Member

Please read the posts in the Comodo forum about random deletion of .dll files and registry entries before plunging into those waters. These deletions happened to me and caused a week of havoc...

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Rasheed - I understand the HIP in Comodo version 3 will have an on/off option.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Lumstruck - Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean HIPS might delete .dll's and registry entries? Thanks in advance. :)

19. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

thats good now I can have prevx and Comodo

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use 6.1.737 free version occasionally and have never had a bit of trouble with it. I use the free because I don't need all the other bells and whistles, I have everything else fairly well covered.

I use several different firewalls, from Comodo, Windows, L&S and a couple of others, but always seem to come back to ZA 6.1.377. I just like it.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Chuck - The 6.1 versions are OK for most people. Just stay away from the 6.5 versions if you can. A few people have never had a problem, but eventually alot of people have installed a version that does a number on their pc. Knowing when to stick with a good version for you is the trick.

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

ZA 6.5 and up were nothing but problems for me. I had trouble with 6.5, then when the newer ones came along tried them. Same troubles. This one works great for me.

Personally, I wish ZA 2.6.xxx would work on this machine.

23. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

My ZA {free} 6.1.744.000 shows 15MB and 3MB respectively.

I have only seen WinXP Firewall and Norton Personal Firewall before loading ZoneAlarm about sixteen months ago, so I can't compare with Comodo.

I agree with:
    Version 6.1.744.000 was the third for me, then ..001 showed up a week later... more bother than it was worth. ...if it ain't broke,...:D

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pilotart . Have you seen the reactions to the ZA 7.0 beta? I rest my case. :eek:

25. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Have not even looked, happy with what I have now. :)

It was not until after first install of ZA that I saw so many say that they would only use version 4 or 5...

I did do the (final for me) 'Upgrade' to 6.1.744.000 only after seeing that THIS Version did NOT have all the 'horror' stories on the ZA Forum that most other versions had.

As far as I know, it is possible to get the earlier versions of ZA, but I am no way qualified for an opinion on how any ZA compares with Comodo or any other, except I liked ZA a LOT more than Norton Personal Firewall (or the XP firewall).

It does look like a lot of the more powerful security programs also need the user to be Very Knowledgeable to use them correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.