ZA to Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ThunderZ, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just made the switch on my wireless laptop. So far I like it. On restart or coming out of standby XP was having trouble re-establishihg my connection. No problems with Comodo. Over all PC start up and response seems a bit snappier too. Browseing seems snappier with Opera. Time will tell if the trend remains.
    Not sure I will make the switch on my 2 desktops.......but all is good in the land of laptops. :D

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Zonelabs does the same to my laptop - strange.

Comodo odes seem lighter overall

3. ThunderZ

Wish I had paid a little more attention to usage before I uninstalled ZA. Think there is a thread around here somewhere with my ZA resource usage listed. Will have to try and find it later to compare.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Heres the resource usage for Zonealarm Antivirus which is currently running on my laptop. I have the logging, email protection and antivirus turned off as i don't need them. I haven't used comodo since its early versions so it would be interesting to compare resource usage.

Attached Files:

• ZA.JPG
      ZA.JPG
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
  5. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    On my system commodo is just a tad over 15 megs right now. So about 11 megs lighter.

6. ThunderZ

Just over 15 megs here. A good example of the differences in system hardware\software combinations I believe. Still liter then ZA. Do`t get me wrong. I still use ZA Pro on both desktops. But with 2 and 4 gigs of ram.........

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Zonealarm has vsmon + zlclient which is around 35mb of ram so you're looking at around a 20mb difference. Also i do have a few ZA components turned off so its likely that the default resource usage is higher.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Zone Alarm uses over 35MB?? No wonder my 160MB desktop is slow sometimes..:ouch:

9. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    maybe it's time to try out comodo.

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am still waiting for program to become more settled before I think about trying it out.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I forgot to mention that the ZA PC still uses Windows 98 so, Comodo is a no go. :(

12. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

im thinking of trying comodo can someone show me a pic of what the interface looks like

13. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

14. cheater87

wow that looks confusing im sticking with zone alarm personal

15. muf

muf Registered Member

I'm using the latest verson and build of ZA Free 6.5.737.000 and vsmon.exe is using 20mb and zlclient.exe is using 4mb.

muf

16. cheater87

im trying out comodo now and its pretty good

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thunderz - I uninstalled my ZASS with 120 days to go on my license earlier last week, and installed Comodo. I couldn't take it any more. I installed the Comodo on my Dell 4600 desktop, and found as you did, my bootups are faster, shutdowns are faster, and the computer is more responsive. All that crap was bogging it down. No more bugs, and no more fear of upgrading. I think Comodo is great. :D

18. ThunderZ

A bit of a learning curve after years of ZA only, but well worth it. :D

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thunderz - I put cpf on auto and only made one option, to have it scan my computer for existing apps, so it doesn't challange them. After that I just click the allow or deny button just like ZA.

20. ThunderZ

That is how I initially set it up. Sense then I nuked and re-paved the lap top. So I did a fresh install and decided to play with it a little more. I`m doing one more re-pave now. Like you, I will have all my apps. installed and do as you did. Either way I`m still impressed with this little FW. Hope they never bloat it like they have ZA. ZA may work for some, but IMO, it is getting further and further away from what I want from a FW.

21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

CPF is developing into quite a formidable piece of security software. I was initially unimpressed, but after a short while I could see that the developers were serious about creating a quality product. Comodo's forums are also evidence of the kind loyalty building that comes from really listening to user feedback. Nice (and becoming increasingly rarer) to see, especially with a freeware. I'm a fan.

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

The title of this thread is a prophecy. It will become the next big wave of the future in software firewalls among the freebies. Comodo is still young and growing. :thumb:

23. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Good call on the thread title being prophetic. It's kind of funny to see how people are reacting on Comodo's forums. The last time that I saw software generating this kind of following in its infancy was Firefox.

24. ThunderZ

Well.....back to ZA 4.5.594 Free I went. For the life of me I could not get my laptop to be able to map to my shared drive on my tower PC running ZA Pro. paid. Was to worried about just allowing "things" and was not in the right frame of mind to play. Now if someone would be kind enough to lend a hand on rules advice assistance would be appreciated.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thunderz - You must be a patient person, going back to ZA. I didn't have the stomach for the "clean uninstall" every time you upgrade, or the fear that the upgrade you just made might screw up your pc. If the version you installed is working OK, don't upgrade until the next new version is out a few weeks. You can check the reactions in the ZA forum. I'll stick with my Comodo. I just let it run on automatic, and my pc is much faster without the ZA. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.