ZA Pro free Oct 13

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

For those interested, ZoneAlarm will give away free licenses to their ZoneAlarm Pro firewall Oct 13 as part of their Patch Tuesday promo. They did this last November as well.

~Link removed.~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up :-* :thumb:

~Link removed~

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

nice find.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I appreciate this, thanks. For those planning on getting a license for ZAP you can install the trial-ware right now and test drive it. Just google for it as it is available from a number of sites, such as softpedia. I'm running it now on both Vista and Windows 7 and the only issue I've noticed is the toolbar doesn't work in Firefox 3.5.3. Has anyone else noticed that?

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Installed it on one of my Windows 7 computers and it seems Ok. No problems with Firefox, it might just be you or I'm just very lucky.

6. Less

Less Registered Member

thanks alot...

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thanks. Someone post here on the 13th so we dont forget.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

acr1965, thanks for the heads up! I have only 41 days left on my existing licenses... this shall come in quite handy. :)

9. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the link.
    Any advice on which free AV works best with Zonealarm Pro.

Thanks

10. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

I tried this last month with SBIE and Avira working good.

But Firewall not logging on my xp sp3.

11. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

So this a firewall only? I was wondering about the new Advanced Download Protection is it similiar to Online Armor's OASIS?

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Nope, OASIS has been there since ages in ZA (the OSfirewall + white/black remote database). The adv. download protection is an advanced heuristics, by running the executable in a sandbox and observing the behavior.

Fax

13. Sportscubs1272

Sounds interesting. Has it improved on the leak tests since the last version? I wish they had an out of the box setting for wifi networks. Never had a problem connecting to another network with OA. I don't want to waste my time making new firewall rules just to get internet on my laptop. I can tell they haven't improve on that aspect at all. Maybe Checkpoint can pay for my tuition at a local college for internet and networking!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  14. fax

fax Registered Member

True, stay with OA if it is what works for you :)

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I always had problem with configuring this.with internet zone to high it blocks most of firefox connections,dns,and pretty much everything else.
    If i lower to medium,it works,but if i test on grc is like i don't have a firewall.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm using the latest version 9 on my laptop at the moment and it's connecting to the internet via wireless without issues. The internet zone is set to HIGH. What was the problem for you previously?

17. Sportscubs1272

I used it on default and when I rebooted I couldn't get on the internet. It had local only for wireless access. I fumbled with the different network settings and I had everything on trusted. I don't understand why ZA doesn't have a newbie setting for wifi access. I spent about 30 minutes doing a Google search and went to the official ZA forum site and the official FAQ. I fumbled around there and I saw some confusing screen shots and I just gave up. It's silly that you have to make your own firewall rules or use a ten-step procedure to make it work.

I have a Vista laptop with the latest patches. I will be upgrading to Win 7 when I get my DVD in the mail next week hopefully.

I have been using Online Armor for a while and never had any problems connecting. It was able to detect my new internet connection with no trouble.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

There are no settings to make, only to set your connection as trusted or internet at your first install. ZA configure the rest automatically. May be some specific conflicts on your machine? Have you removed the previous firewall before installing ZAPRO or you simply disabled it?

If you are happy with OA and find it easy to use then no need to move to ZA. I love, for example, the simplicity of ZA firewall as compared to OA. De gustibus non est...... :cool:

Fax

19. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

yeah I would have to agree with Fax because I just installed it for the first time on my Vista laptop and I can connect just fine. To me its a lot different to configure it to my satisfaction than some of the other firewalls I have used but its not too bad once you get the hang of it. Has some nice features and logs are decent but I might go back to Comodo soon just because I am more comfortable with it. But who knows it has blocked some interesting IPs from access to my computer and its fairly light on resources so I may try it for a little while longer.

20. Sportscubs1272

Yes, I used Revo Uninstaller when removing OA. I switched to high settings for the internet zone and left it on medium for the other setting. So what about vpn or the host file or arp? So do you mess with the server rights? Some programs or services have green check marks for everything.

I did turn off ZA once and turn it back on and I had the internet working fine.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  21. fax

fax Registered Member

Internet should have been on HIGH by default. Was not? While trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM. Not using the pro version but in the other version, your DNS/DHCP is added to the trusted zone at install as well as the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1).

vpn is recognised automatically, hosts file can be locked and arp can be turned on. You can also play with removing rights to programs, however you should be also ready to troubleshoot potential connection or functionality problems.

I am personally lazy and I leave the settings as suggested by ZA automatically.

Fax

22. Sportscubs1272

I'm behind a Linksys router/firewall at home. DNS/DHCP and the loopback adapter wasn't added.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Not normal, at least loopback adapter should have been there. Definitively a bad install. :)

24. Sportscubs1272

I have no idea what's wrong. At least I can go back to the other firewall. I will have a copy of Windows 7 when Amazon sends it to me. Vista doesn't seem to work nice with other security products.

25. Onur

Onur Registered Member

I opened campaign topic before but forum staff deleted. Why dont u delete this topic? This is software campaign. Read your own rules.

Forum Staff :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.