ZA Free vs ZA Pro inbound?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Beavenburt, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

How does ZA Free inbound protection stack up against the Pro version? I know it's not as customisable but are they basically the same in their inbound monitoring? The reason I ask is that I like ZA but have no interest in leaktests or using my hard earned on a firewall.
    I'm reluctant to start a firewall vs firewall thread, however I would also like to know peoples opinions of ZA Free's inbound protection compared to the other well known firewalls but in particular ZA Pro.

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

3. Beavenburt

No offence my friend but I have no concern for leaktests or matousec's testing. I just want to know if ZA Free's inbound is as good as it's Pro or any other firewall.

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If all you're concerned about is *inbound* then just go with ZA Free. They are both the same on inbound. Pro offers much more protection of your system and outbound, but I doubt there's any difference at all on pure inbound.

6. Beavenburt

Another question if I may. Is it wise to use an old version of ZA. I'm considering 5.5.094. Will this leave me vulnerable? or are these old versions still acceptable to use.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd guess that under normal conditions you could probably get away with it, but my preference is to try to keep fairly current as you never know if or when they may fix a vulnerability or issue that makes a difference. If you want to see what each version fixes and changes, that info is available on their site...

8. Beavenburt

Thanks for the replies.

9. Hairy Coo

Kerodo-How would you define the difference between the Advanced and Basic Network and Program Firewall -and the lack of Smart Defense Adviser?

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If you are running Vista, consider ZA AV rather than ZA SS. The differences are mostly missing from the Vista version of ZA SS.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think most of that relates more to the outbound portion of things, no? He was asking about inbound only earlier... unless I misunderstand your question....

12. Hairy Coo

Its very difficult to get exact definitions about whats what with ZA-obviously for marketing reasons-But the Free version is just the Basic and thats it-so the Advanced SHOULD have more inbound protection features the way I see it,but its not defined.

Also the "ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Advisor is a service that enables you to instantly analyze the possible causes of an alert, and helps you decide how to respond. When available, SmartDefense Advisor provides advice as to how to respond to Program alerts"

Some must be Inbound.Not available in the Free.

Actually its all a bit nebulous,so on second thoughts,probably the Free would be a safe ,excellent choice

PS I have a variation on your sig-"Fix it til its Broke!"

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The way I see it, inbound protection on both are the same. Inbound is inbound after all, right? Packets come at you from the outside, ZA blocks 'em if they're unsolicited. Pretty simple. Where all the extra stuff comes in is in system protection and outbound control. The SmartDefense Advisor stuff is only for outbound as far as I know.

But perhaps I am wrong on some of this. There is the SPI factor which everyone analyses and debates over so much, and that does come into play when allowing packets back in from an outbound connection, so perhaps that's what you're thinking of too?

It gets pretty complicated in some ways I guess..

Anyway, that's what we all gotta keep doing. Fixin' things till they break. ;)

14. Hairy Coo

Thanks for your explanation,what you say sounds right :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.