ZA 7.0.408.000...anyone yet?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I'd just like to know if anyone has tried any of the new ZA releases. And if so, how do you find it/them?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    running ZASS latest version without issues, actually never had major problems with previous releases but in this one I have noticed two major improvements:

• Shutdown time;
    • Revised memory footprint: AV/AS resident processes moved from 50MB RAM usage on previous versions to 1MB RAM when idle (the two scanningprocess.exe of the KAV SDK engine)

Cheers,
    Fax

3. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Running the Pro version only (7.0.408.000). I must say that a lot of bugs have been fixed..... it's working very well and a much lighter application than it was before.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Installed ZASS 7.0.408.000 over the top of 7.0.362.000.

It seems to be running well but of course it hasn't cured the much debated Chkdsk Phase 2 problem that was caused by ZA V7.0's Kaspersky AV engine writing Object Identifiers to all the scanned files (:mad:).

Regards

Menorcaman

5. spamyou

spamyou Registered Member

Finally, ZA pro is heading in the right direction again.

Despite an active license, I have not been using ZA Pro because it was slowing my system down too much. Tried another firewall, but got fed up with it, so using no firewall for past month (have router with spi though and nod32).

After reading this, tried new ZA pro beta 7.0.408.000 and MUCH BETTER.

The new beta (antispyware off) only slows my reboot cycle by 10 seconds (previous version 7 slowed it 42 seconds). Even with antispyware on, only slows by 16 seconds.

The new beta no longer slows the first running of a program after reboot. Previous version 7 hangs browser and some other programs for ~15 seconds for the first run after reboot. New version there is perhaps a ~1 second delay upon first run after reboot, then no further delays, so that ridiculous bug has been fixed.

My PC mark 2005 score naked is 10112, and with new ZAP beta was 10042, ie basically no difference. Previous version 7 slowed it by ~6% which was unacceptable.

I have a firewall again, for now anyways.

6. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Spamyou, v7.0.408.000 is not Beta.... it's a final release.

H

7. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

Currently trialing the antispyware flavour, and i can tell it has improved tremedously, barely noticable app drag and less memory usage. And together with eg. Avira PE classic (and they do play really nice together), you get the following: extremely good antivirus (avira's), anti-cr*pware (both complementing each other), antiphishing (avira's), firewall (ZA), HIPS (ZA). Might also turn off HIPS and use AVG to set up on less technical folks computers, it would be pretty much 'install and forget' combo after a little tweaking. So basically, with only those two programs, one can get a really formidable, reasonably light (uses about 50-60 megs of RAM on my comp), efficient and CHEAP form of 'Internet security suite', ideal for people who don't need integrated antispam and parental controls. And you can't beat that for 19.95 :D
    So......if this trial continues to behave nicely, I just might have found a new love of my life (former was a Avira, ST and win firewall combo, but this really might be worth the money) ;)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Running ZA Free here without any apparent problems.. Seems light enough (as ZA goes) and system is responsive, no slowdowns or anything like that. I am impressed...

Edit a few hours later: Oops... have to revise my earlier post. There seems to be some kind of excessive disk access always going on here. Ran FileMon and it's vsmon and the ZA client doing what I consider way too much disk i/o, reading and writing a bunch of stuff every few seconds... So I'm removing it, don't need all that going on.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.