ZA 6.5.666.000 Open Beta Open!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by unhappy_viewer, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, I downloaded this earlier, unfortunately ZA as gone back to its old ways (oopps sorry,... the bug is back) of connecting out, even when all options are disabled for the need of this.
    It waited until I had connected to the internet and then made outbound connections to:-

register.zonelabs.com
    cm2.zonelabs.com -https
    ps2.zonelabs.com

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What about the Pro version? Is there a new version as well? ZASS seems bloated to me to be hounest, I mean 24 MB? No thanks. :gack:

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

If you are referring to the Security Suite and that is the memory you have, that is pretty darn good considering it is a firewall, antispyware, HIPS, and antivirus for only 24MB. Maybe you are referring to the Pro version?

Alphalutra1

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Must be a mistake there, there's no way the Suite uses 24mb of ram. When I ran it here briefly, it used upwards of 70mb total with all features enabled. That seems to be typical for a suite these days, I find they range anywhere from 50 to 80mb ram use.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The 24mb that is mentioned, is the size of the download.

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Gotcha ;)

8. unhappy_viewer

Are you very sure about this? Check to see that you have disabled everything by following the instructions in the first half of this press release (you don't need the second half since that is suppose to be fixed):
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2005/pr_22.html

Additionally there are new features such as "Spy Site Blocking" which may require update from Zone Labs to get updated lists of which site to block. Remember to disable newer communication-related features off.

If you are still experiencing outgoing update checks even if everything is disabled, please contact Zone Labs with the full details of how you manage to find out about this and what options have you disabled in ZA using the open beta form:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/forms/open_beta.jsp

9. unhappy_viewer

This is the first public beta version and there will be more versions to come. I think the suite is tested first because its the has the most features in the ZA range and therefore would have the most bugs.

If you experience high RAM usage, please make sure you followed the instructions at the top before you installed the beta:

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, but will re-check. (Cannot do this at the moment as my gateway is off-line, so will re-check tomorrow)

11. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

The Suite is low usage on my machine. Even with heavy torrenting with 200+ connections, it's been at a quiet 40 megs or so. And my machine is old....

The beta looks like a huge improvement, especially the gamer option. The bugs now make me afraid to install it on my windows boot, but I'll check back on it at a later time.

How well does this protect the registry? I run the suite now, and its registry protection is mediocre at best. :T

Will there be more features added to im security?

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Have re-checked....All options for updates, mailsafe, spy site blocking...everything was disabled. As soon as an internet connection was made, ZA connected to register.zonelabs.com, 8 minutes later, ZA connected to ps2.zonelabs.com -https.
    So my first check on this was correct. ZA is still connecting out

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

NOT INTERESTED.....EVER AGAIN!

Kerio served up a quality replacement a long time ago for this PC feller while ZA continued to play ring-around-the-rosie with users for years and likely still do as far as i've reviewed on occasion when i bother to look in on relevant discussions over ZA issues which seem to be an eternal part of their make-up.

Lost my attention long ago, more power to whomever can re-fashion it to quality standard and especially stability again.

14. unhappy_viewer

register.zonelabs.com is the server used by Zone Labs to gather regustration details of its customer especially customers using paid versions like ZASS (to prevent piracy). So far I am not aware if you can turn it off. But it should be a one-time connection if you have typed in your details after the installation of ZA.

ps2.zonelabs.com is the server used to ensure you have the latest ZA client. ZL may have purposely allow ZA to check the update server for the purpose of the beta test to ensure beta testers get the latest version (wouldn't be of any help if testers still kept the old version when a new one is out). Just to double check, the related setting for client updates is found on the "Overview" section of ZA, in the "Preferences" tab. Ensure that you have selected "Check for updates manually".

Again this is the first beta version and any bugs you discover should be reported to the team using the open beta form:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/forms/open_beta.jsp

In my past 1-2 years helping test the open beta versions, alot of bugs are found and reported since the first version. And the sooner it gets reported, the better as it will get the attention of the development team better.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

ZA will connect to register.zonelabs.com even if you have "unticked" the register option. Any comm`s / connections should only be allowed by the user. This is a subject that as gone on and on and on about ZA, and I am now the same as EASTER.2010, that I will no longer install this product (untill they remove the hard-coded rules), and will be uninstalling it from all the users PC`s that I support.

This was set to manual as always..........but the connections (3) where still made.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A question. What information do you suppose Zone Labs is collecting?

17. hax

hax Registered Member

Well they don’t ask or inform something so whose know :rolleyes:

18. unhappy_viewer

Have you reported it using the feedback link I provided? No use writing about it here or even in the official ZA forums because the development team does not monitor these places. And they can't fix what they don't know about. I can't duplicate your problem so I can't confirm it and write the form myself.

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No, I dont want to start getting spam from ZL
    I posted my findings here, to share with the "Wilders community", if this is of no use here, then in future I will not post such findings.
    I believe they will already know about this
    I cannot suggest a local packet analyzer/sniffer, as I dont know if there would be conflicts with ZA (I use remote capture/analyzer)

20. unhappy_viewer

Then there is nothing that can be done. The beta is meant for people to test and find problems and aid ZL by providing feedback. I haven't got any messages from ZL when sending feedback except when it pertains to problems related to the betas I have tested.

Its not any use if you install a beta, find a problem and don't report it. Feedback is important in the development process. Its what helps make products like KAV, NOD32, Ewido etc. produce good products. People keep complaining the some of the last few versions of ZA are buggy and I tell them the reason is people are unwilling to take part in the beta or provide feedback directly just as you have demonstrated.

And you can't say you believe the team knows about a problem unless you happen to work inside with ZL or are an excllent psychic. Known issues are always posted on the beta pages:
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.