YouTube problem solver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Lately i also had problems with YT, not being able to view ANY videos. Even after disabling HTTPS everywhere for it & allowing ALL scripting etc etc :mad:

After Cudni's advice :thumb:in here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=296908 - i then wondered if PG protection might be affecting viewing ? Sure enough it was :p

utpg.gif

This is what i normally see at YT

mad.gif

So i click on the f to allow ALL this crap :eek:

ns.gif

PG alerts with this which i allow, and can then view

pic.gif

Once i'd temporally disabled AutoBlock the problem was solved :)

Obviously not everyone has PG, or if they do, have AutoBlock enabled. But you might have some other App that prevent similar changes which might be the cause of your issues ;)

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

What I normally see at YouTube are Flash videos. Those aren't displayed thru plugin-container, though.

I don't use Process Guard. I do use a firewall, and that always asks me if I want to allow plugin-container.exe to access the network when it does try to start. That's the way I have the firewall set.

The firewall also asks me about Firefox.exe after every update to that browser-- in those cases, because it's "changed". It also alerts about a change in plugin-container.exe the next time it tries to start, too.

I don't have anything blocking Flash, except on a site-to-site basis with NoScript. This is because I regularly watch videos at websites, so blocking Flash Player as an application would be an unnecessary impediment to that, requiring an unneeded extra step every time I go to watch some videos.

The only point I'm making is that sometimes a person can have 'too much' security, resulting in "problems" that are only problems because the user has made it so.

Whether or not you feel you need Process Guard to perform functions that are similar to or in addition to your firewall would of course be up to you.
    But what you've posted points out how when using such additional security software and telling that software to do certain things, it's very advisable to remember that you've told the software to do those things. (And believe me, I've 'been there, done that', too.)

Had you left (or previously had) the PG option to 'auto block new and changed applications', then you'd have found yourself not being able to open Firefox after any update, too. And the same for any other software on your machine which you chose to update.

Leaving that box unchecked seems to be the smart play there. Especially since the user evidently gets no popup box from PG saying 'you said to block changes in this, remember?'

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ ABee

Hi, you raise some very valid points :thumb:

I've decided to keep auto block new and changed applications and only disable it when updating/installing etc, as i feel it's an excellent additional blocker, which obviously works as intended :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.