YouTube launches subscription channels

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/54832/youtube-launches-subscription-channels/

2. guest

guest Guest

Oh I see that now. They offered ad free channels with subscription-based while at the same time bombarded the free YT users with ads. God bless Wladimir Palant. :D

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes that's usually how it works you pay so you won't be bothered with the ads :D. Kind of same when people buy the premium version of an "app" to get an ad free experience.
    No one I know I think :doubt:

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Unless it's Hulu.

That would be the AdBlockPlus developer.

You know what? If this is the way Google intends to do it this and are able to bring in decent networks, they very well may shut up all doubters, myself included. I haven't tested these out yet, but if they stay the course and don't start adding "gotchas" or networks pull the same stunts they have with the big players in streaming, Netflix and others may have some sleepless nights in their future.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, that experience was a letdown, lol. Sure, there are a couple of decent channels, and they may very well do better soon. But, for now it really should be called "Clip TV" because that's the majority of the content. We'll see.

6. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Would have taken you less time to highlight the name and do a search, than to write that ;)

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'd like for them to succeed, to keep Youtube et al afloat.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Youtube won't go anywhere for a long time, whether they succeed with this subscription thing or not. I dare say Youtube has done more for artist exposure, streaming media, the spread of information and social than Facebook, Google as a company, Netflix, Pandora and pretty much every other well known service combined.

In fact, if the television, film and music industry all got behind it and stopped the DMCA nonsense with takedown notices and lawsuits, Youtube could be all of those services all by its little self. iTunes could be destroyed in the course of a year or two, because Google has the clout to not only get the best deals possible, but also make it worth the while for content creators. Get them on board, negotiate the killer deals, force users to watch the ads (but not an excessive amount like Hulu), and share the advertising dollars with the content creators. I don't even see Netflix and hotshots like Spotify surviving that.

Youtube might be chock full of user-generated utter crap and full of user comments that make you wonder if we should just hit the reset button on humanity, but it is a powerhouse with the capability of being unstoppable.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I could (usually do), but now everyone that reads this thread and like me didn't know who he was, they do know now. :)

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I wonder what the consequences would be from forking over personal information to purchase access. There is the potential for Google to tie that personal information to the other records it is maintaining about your Internet activities. Would you be putting the ribbon and bow on the box by subscribing?

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/56431/youtube-takes-on-tv-with-live-stream-expansion/

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

One thing im sure sure is that i will not be subscribing to any paid channels . . . at least not in the short term. :ninja:

13. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't think they can kill off iTunes so easily because many people are "invested" in it. Those who have existing content libraries aren't going to just give them up, especially the movies and TV shows with DRM. Although they removed music DRM, files bought before the point where they removed it that haven't been converted (at a cost, the last time I checked) are still locked down.

Also, not everyone is ready to switch to full-time streaming for music. If you have a classic audio player with no connection, you can't use it. Even with smartphones, some data plans are limited enough to discourage it.

Spot on! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.