YouTube ads serving malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by MrBrian, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

This is why ad-blocking still has a place, regardless of what content providers and the industry as a whole thinks or desires. As it stands, I'm more willing to let websites die than I am to risk my security and a lot of my privacy and data.

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I figured this would happen at some point. Time to start hounding certain family members about upgrades...

4. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

It has happened several times on Youtube. Java just needs to go, and go now.

5. guest

guest Guest

+1. Even getting hit by an ultra gigantic green laser from an alien spaceship is still a lot better than having Java installed in our computers. Oracle just doesn't seem to know how to handle it properly. I feel sorry for Neo. =V

6. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Agreed, I'm fine with sacrificing the convenience of online shopping to mitigate security and privacy threats to myself. At the end of the day, the only person responsible for managing your security and privacy is you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it really doesn't apply here. Given the history of java thus far. But to be fair, flash, java, etc. are always going to be in the cross-hairs of attackers. Replacing it wouldn't necessarily mean better protection. The problem is every web-designer under the sun is trying to build around and incorporate these elements. I'm not a web developer, but I don't understand why. I'd be happy with a plain-text internet that doesn't have bright white backgrounds. It's a bit hard on the eyes staring at a bright screen all day, even with f.lux and other brightness controls.

:) Somebody's been watching Matrix reloaded (Windows XP)

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Configure your browser's user mode for a light blue background -- much easier on the eyes!

-rich

8. guest

guest Guest

Well at least Adobe has done some works to secure Flash. As far as I'm aware of, cases of Java exploits are higher than Flash exploits. It's true that Flash is heavily used in many websites, but I fail to see Java being commonly required. It's only needed for special circumstances.

That's the same with why do people decorate their houses, buying the best furnitures, etc. Most people want to make their possessions to be the best amongst all. With those addons, they can make their websites to look as astounding as possible. Plenty, however, failed to interpret the definition of "charming" and think what looks good for them will also look good for everyone.

Another factor is to gain profit. I'm uncertain of my theory, but perhaps Flash-based ads will yield more benefit for the webmasters.

Third is the content of the website itself. Flash is flexible, capable to do many things. If the website's main purpose requires Flash or Java, then the visitors must have them installed, with they like it or not.

It's been years since the last time I watched the trilogy. Now I kinda forgot about them altogether. :D

9. MrBrian

10. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Good suggestion, I've been running f.lux at its lowest and have experimented with the darkscreen mode for bright white sites. Just a pain toggling between when I go to sites with a lot of images or other content that doesn't display well. This computer has very limited built-in control for brightness, even in the control panel for the graphics card. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, I've seen this thread some time ago. I'll take look and see adding dark screen does any better. Do you know if this is compatible with f.lux? I see you suggested it, but would appreciate confirmation if anyone knows for certain. Appreciate the suggestions.

11. MrBrian

I don't know. I really like Dark Screen though :thumb:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.