Your thoughts on Trend Micro?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I see it comes amongst the best in detection rates according to AV Comparatives yet I have never heard of it nor heard anyone here mentioning it.

Is it heavy on the system? How good is it really?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

There since 1988 and not the smallest :)

http://www.trendmicro.com/us/about-us/contact/index.html#locations

Attached Files:

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I was a user in the past, and I wasn't happy with it's progress when it came to cleaning malware. Other than that it has always been a decent product, but I guess you'll find better value for your money in some other products than Trend Micro, especially when looking for suites etc. :)

4. berryracer

Yes I did notice that it is the most expensive, and since its AV Comparative results were decent, I was wondering why noone here mentions it

Also, is it heavy on the system like Kaspersky?

5. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

6. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Switching again. Lol

7. berryracer

RAM has 0 effect on performance in my perception. Most AVs these days use the same amount of RAM comparatively but what matter is how it handles file scanning.

Kaspersky has a decent amount of RAM usage but it would make my gaming laptop crawl and beg for mercy like a turtle when for example I launch a huge file (such as some large setup file)

What matters is how the system feels when you use it not RAM

just my 2 cents

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It needs a Jenny Craig Diet.

9. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Well, the system (4.00 GB of RAM, Dual Core CPU 3.07 GHz, Win 7) feels slow :(

10. berryracer

That's what I wanted to know :(

Thanks for saving me the hassle of trying it bro

11. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Trend Micro is decent, although if you look at its whole product dynamic tests of AV-Comparatives its the best of the lost.
    And AV-Comparatives feels thats the whole product dynamic tests better reflect the most features of the product.

the configuring options are a bit too spartan,does not have hips or outbound firewall which is a big disappointment.

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Well... According to my past experience, Trend Micro provided simplest interface and somehow I had the illusion that it would also be very light.

BUT, it was not. Only the interface was simple, the suite was not light ( I was say moderate, especially boot time).

The problem with TM is it is not scoring consistently good in tests. you could see great variance b/w AV-Test and AVC results.
    I would love to know if someone tried the new Trend Micro and how light/heavy it felt.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah man skip it. from reading your posts and actually testing it and yes i own a lic to use to test it with i would skip it. its not as bad as kaspersky but prob much heavier than you want. and it doesnt even have it own firewall which some dont care about but instead it has a windows firewall "booster" its a windows firewall controller and uses the built in windows firewall. price wise its the same or more than anything else for the suite and they dont even have their own firewall or a lic'ed one like bullguard etc

14. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I have a free license for Trend's Maximum Security 2013. I had it installed for almost an hour before uninstalling it. All it gave me was a terribly slow boot and unacceptable Internet browsing performance. I didn't even bother to see how much memory it was taking; the performance hit told me enough..:thumbd:

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'd forgotton I was using it. But looking at the screenshots I remembered I have it installed on one of my netbooks. I installed it on two netbooks - the first one intentially, on the second one it was delivered as an update via MSI's Live Update software - the update had the cryptic name of TMIS if I remember correctly, and it did not state actually what TMIS was. (I presume if I was already running av software, then this download would not have been offered).

Both were the same version - but the one downloaded from MSI had MSI branding.

It caused noticable slowdowns. On the first netbook I uninstalled it, and on the second one I have real time protection permanently disabled. I am not running the very latest version - recently MSI Live Update offered a more recent version for download which I have downloaded yet.

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! I agree with the collective user observations. I believe on a previous thread I had mentioned what a pain in the butt Trend was in Uninstall...it still mentions that it's supposedly installed on my system...beats me but both Eset and Ikarus installers claim that it's still active. I thought I had completely eradicated it's registry remnants...but I guess not. I tried the Trend uninstaller...Revo...and Opswatt uninstaller...whole lot of fun...sic! Anyone have any suggestions as to what too look for in the registry...as like a lot of us I'm not knowlegeable enough in feeling confident in initiating a registry purge. Sincerely...Securon

18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hello Securon,Have you looked for left over drivers of trend,Usually the drivers will start with TD or TM. If you not sure about a driver you can right click and select it's properties to confirm they belong to TM.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  19. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

Not hevay at all,Best WebGuard(failGuarg i'm not sure).:thumb:Do not have a HIPS and Firewall for me is super.That what i'm searching for.Browsing very light and no slowdawn.

20. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Thanks Dark Shadow for your prompt and insightful advice. I'll try your recommendation...and get back shortly...with an update. Sincerely...Securon

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

After they went cloud with the Titanium, I always liked them. Usually it slows down for some boots but things starts settle down after that but be some cache building issues.

22. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

TM is the 2nd worst AV of all time. The worst is McAf**.

I'm serious as a heart attack BR.

23. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

This may help when an entry in WBEM hasn't been deleted but should have been. However, I haven't done this so you use at your own risk. Make a backup before doing this.

In a cmd window, Run with admin privilege:
    1) enter command "net stop winmgmt"

then answer yes to the questions of stopping other dependent services.
    2) use Explorer to delete the WBEM folder(s) and contents.
    Find them in c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\syswow64

3) enter command "net start winmgmt"
    the WBEM folder(s) and contents will be rebuilt.

Good luck,

J

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

25. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

in my very limited testing, i have found that trend micro's heuristics are very good.

every time i upload a 'never before uploaded' malware sample to virus total, trend micro is nearly always the one that detects it using heuristics.

shame about the performance hit otherwise i would definitely recommend it to clients

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.