Your Thoughts on Mcafee Antivirus 6.02

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fatpizzaman, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatpizzaman

fatpizzaman Registered Member

What do you think about Mcafee Antivirus 6.02? The reason I am asking this is because Mcafee is more reputable than NOD32, but I would like to know the difference between these two virus scanners.

Right now I am tossing up between Mcafee Antivirus 6.02 and Latest version of NOD32.

I am currently using Mcafee Antivirus on win2kpro and there doesnt seem to be many problems, however I have seen many individual AV tests, and they say that NOD32 has undefeatable capabilities in detecting 100% of all virii.

But since Mcafee is more well-funded and reputable, I am still sticking to Mcafee. What do you people think? Is NOD 32 going to be able to get patches of LATEST viruses coming out?

e.g NAV 2002 has good interface, but that is about it. It doesnt have particularly strong virus detection/removal.

Please tell me your comments of NOD32 vS Mcafee Antivirus 6.02

2. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

I use Mcafee at work and my biggest complaint is for some reason it will just throtle my machine every so often (avsyncmanager.exe).   So much so that I have to reboot... Of course this generally happens after the machine has been left on for a day or so.  McAfee does have a web page scanner that checks ActiveX controls which is nice.

I have never used NOD, I will let someone else comment about it.  

NAV does have pretty good virus detection but its trojan detection is pretty week.  

http://www.virusbtn.com/
    http://www.pcflank.com/art17d.htm

enjoy.

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I had seen the tests done by independant companies, and I asked around alot before deciding on what AV to go with. Without doubt NOD32 was the clear winner. Kaspersky would have been my second choice.

Now http://www.virusbtn.com/ showed NOD32 as winning the VB100% award every time except once, and that time was due to a disqualification (one false positive and you are out) not a missed virus.

Other AV did ok too but then I looked at the speed. Ohhhh, the speed of NOD32 is amazing. The scanner is coded in assembly language, and NOTHING can compare to the speed of NOD32.

So NOD32 has the best detection rate AND the fastest scanner......hmmm some choice!

And the price is fair too, $39 USD with discounts if you buy even just two copies.

NOD32 has good detection of trojans as well (although not to rival a real trojan scanner like TDS-3)

The updates are really frequent, moreso than I got from norton AV when I used it.

And NOD32 didn't even pay me to say all that.

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I will second that ! :D

5. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

I have use Mcafee in the past and now NOD32. NOD32 scans in Three minutes what took Mcafee Twenty Two minutes. I found NOD32's support good, where as Mcafee's not so good. I beleave after performance support is so very important and Mcafee's just isn't there . Good luck with NOD32 (Hint=)))
                                                               Regards
                                                                            Tim

6. root

root Registered Member

Oh, I love it when someone asks for my thoughts.  :D
    For me speed is not an issue. I am more concerned about 100% detection than how fast I can scan my whole PC. NOD32 seems to be fast without suffering a drop in detection rates, so that is a plus.
    I prefer AVP because of the added trojan detection rate, so I own both.
    It has been my experience in helping other people with virus problems, that 90% of the time, they have McAfee installed and up to date, but still have numerous virii all over their machines. I have seen McAfee destroy critical system files in an effort to clean a simple macro virus from a friends system. I had to format and reinstall. I know McAfee products test better than that, but in the real world, it seems that McAfee doesn't do well on all systems. Perhaps the latest version is improved.
    I have no reason to bad mouth McAfee, no reason to exaggerate or lie. I have just seen it fail on too many machines, so I tell people my experiences.
    You mentioned that McAfee has a good reputation. Yes I hear people all the time saying, I have XXX product and I have absolutely no problems with it and it has kept me safe for XXX years.
    First of all, maybe their product has not had any malware to deal with. Secondly, maybe their product has missed something, and they don't even know it.
    When my wife started working in the place she works now, she took over computer support. Some of the machines had McAfee installed, only one had a recent update. Anyway, by the time she was done, she had removed over 250 instances of various virii from 5 machines. No one there had a clue they had virii on their machines.
    Now that was strange, I know.
    Just my thoughts.  ;)

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

With most virus programs today offering trial versions, I pretty much haved tried them all at one time or another.  I also researched the many different test reports out there (ie..VBS100 and others). Nod32 is hard to beat in all criteria - accuracy, speed, price, support and keeping up with new viruses.  Needless to say when it came time to purchase my anti-virus software, I chose Nod32 by ESET.  I am completely happy and would totally recommend it to anyone.  (By the way, I have always seemed to have problems with McAfee products and so I would not recommend it.)  So if your choices are McAfee or Nod32, I only see one choice, Nod32.

Kent

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I would also recommend NOD32 - it does VERY well in independant tests.

In addition, I have never gotten ANY McAfee product to work on ANY of my systems without crashing itself/the system half of the time.

My two cents.

9. javacool

Also, I forgot to mention that, in my experience, the performance hit when using McAfee was much more than with NOD32.

10. Z777

Z777 Registered Member

Anything from MCAFEE should be exterminated!!!!!!!!

11. javacool

I agree, to a certain extent.

12. wizard

wizard Registered Member

McAfee is quite good in detecting malware. The problem in the past was that their software was nearly unuseable. The scan engine is still very slow and their software is still in version 6 'buggy'. The commercial version for companies seems to be a different program which does not have this problem.

McAfee has a big name but this does not mean anything. What counts are independent reviews and about NOD32: it scans much faster, the software seems to be not so 'buggy' and regarding Virus Bulettin NOD32 catched all viruses in their tests (16 or 17 now). See how McAfee scores during that tests and McAfee is not a real bad anti virus software. :)

My choice between NOD32 and McAfee VirusScan is NOD32. Try it. :)

wizard

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I only have experience with far older versions; let me put it this way, when test driving another AV/AT program i never went back after so many finds. I first quarantined them, went to an online scan (housecall.antivirus.com) which gave for several the same alarms so i removed them from my system.
    As M.A. had been so friendly to quarantine and rename other files it was very hard to find and place those things back, like fonts and normal clean system files.
    Caused windows re-install several times.
    So i have no confidence in newer versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.