Your software just broke my PC.

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by clark33, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clark33

clark33 Registered Member

My PC is stuck on the splash screen and will not boot. This happened after I ran paragon partition manager, it rebooted to perform the partition and now it's completly frozen on the splash screen.

Im wondering if the software has broken my Hard Drive, how can I find this out? My system will not boot from dvd drive, despite it being set to do so in the bios. So this means, I cant reinstall windows, use a linux live cd etc to boot into. Can someone help me - i think the software has broken my hard drive and im not sure how to find this out?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No, don't worry, Paragon hasn't broken your drive.

It stopped because it doesn't like the look of something - possibly file system errors or bad sectors.

If you are using an old version ( earlier than version 10 ) and you have the win7 100mb system partition - that may be throwing it.

Not clear what you are describing - has it begun the partitioning operation or did it stop before that?

In either event, boot the Paragon recovery cd - see the partitions look ok, rt click the hard drive and select "update mbr " then click Apply.

Good idea to run check disk on the drive afterwards.

3. clark33

I tried what you said and thought it was working fine, as the boot cd loaded and it started to move the partitions for about 20 minutes. I came back to my PC to see that my computer was back on the stuck splash screen and it's now back to not booting the recovery cd at all. Have you any other ideas?
    thanks

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Strange you can't boot the cd now as you could before.

Are you able boot the Vista/7 dvd and see what startup repair says?

5. clark33

Nope, unable to boot my win 7 install dvd or anything, even though my system is set to boot with dvd before hard drive. It just hangs at the motherboard splash screen, more or less as soon as its turned on. Strange how the recovery dvd will not boot now. Any other ideas?

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Is that what you meant by "splashscreen" in your first post, the oem logo screen ?

What make and model is it?

7. clark33

Yep, thats what I meant in the first post - the splash screen is the motherboard "asus" logo with the motherboard type on the screen. This happens as soon as I power it on, so I dont think its getting to the power on self test (POST). It's worrying that I cant boot into anything from the dvd drive. I tried to partition the drive with paragon partition manager and it rebooted to perform but froze on the screen described in earlier in this message. Im guessing the partition tables are screwed up and that's why its happening. Not sure if i can maybe take the drive out, put into another PC and then format through windows in that way? I dont want to start messing around on another PC, as it's my mums and she'll go mental at me if I break it. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Unusual situation.

It might be something has gone wrong with the oem bootstrap action. I assume there was an F key to press at some stage to get to the oem recovery program?

If you aren't even getting the option to press a key to enter bios setup, you might try clearing CMOS and see if it helps : http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosClearCMOS-c.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.