Your opinion of Online Armor Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Code:
    CFP 3.0 – System Requirements
    Windows XP – 32 and 64 bit versions
    Windows Vista – 32 and 64 bit versions
    64 Mb RAM
    50 Mb free disk space
    Comodo is also fixing bugs in a fast time but they release their bug fixes in huge builds instead of small ones.

V2 did not have any major bugs and v3 was already underway which made it pointless to fix v2 when a new version was on the way.
    V3 is a completely different product from v2 built completely up from a new base. I am sure online armor was in beta way before comodo v3 alpha was even announced. Online armor had a dedicated team of beta testers and comodo had a free-for-all so online armor was deffinitely gonna have less issues with a dedicated beta team.

Yees :D.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

TIME OUT. This thread is simply about opinions about Online Armor's Firewall. It is not a piddling contest between comodo and OA fans.

If there is more to be said on the topic fine, but the way this thread is turning, it is on a short track to being closed.

Please, and thanks,

Pete

3. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

The beta version seems to have solved my problems with the tray icons.:thumb:

Hope this thread remains open as I value other peoples opinions and comments on OA.

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

A large part of our business is custom development work; we do a lot of work in the banking and finance industry.

What? And miss out on the joy of phone calls at midnight when someone has forgot their password!!!

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Err, wasn't that you on the phone last night asking for a password reset here? :blink: :ouch:

:D

Okay, maybe not... :D *puppy*

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Whitelist (?)

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Possibly :D

Most all other firewalls with only a few choice exceptions i have dismissed permanantly and thats that.

OnlineArmor is an exciting new introduction and it looks to be going to continue to be well maintained for the long haul so my thanks to it's creators, developers, and whoever else teamed up for inventing this baby.

It's been a long time coming for something on this order and can only get better from here on out for all. The OA free version prelude is one of the most intelligent decisions i seen in a long while for this particular field. It's just the right prep and balance that easily persuades to go FULL-TIME with the MAIN FULL PRODUCT. Nice Touch all the way around on this.

8. lucas1985

As a HIPS, Online Armor is very powerful. The firewall has nice things like blacklist importing and standard/advanced mode. However, OA lacks in the packet filtering department. OA has a bright future ahead, specially the suite with its multi-layered appraoch (HIPS, firewall, content filtering, script blocking,banking mode, Kaspersky AV)
    For the time being, I'll stick to my proven performers:
    - Jetico 1 on main machines. Very powerful and sooo light.
    - Kerio 2.1.5 for old machines (Win 98SE, Win 2000)
    - Ghostwall on machines which doesn't require more than the XP firewall but with better performance, logging and rule-making.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

So, anyone tried it yet?
    It seems pretty simple to try thanks to Rmus.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Online Armor's script blocker currently does not block embedded scripts such as this.

Mike

11. lucas1985

So, is it based on extensions?

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No, it will block scripts from running (batch files, vbscript) but not embedded items in documents - yet

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you Mike, i'll be looking for that in future builds :).
    BTW, where is the script blocker in the GUI? Is it just built to alert and ask allow/block?

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Pedro,

Yes, exactly right - it's part of program guard.

Mike

15. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

OK - made further tests :D

So far I'm a little disappointed because my initial tests (leaktests, stability) runned so smooth. Even in your daily work you don't notice that there is a firewall running :)

But after this good start, the game (ping- ) performance brought me down from cloud seven ;)

World of Warcraft for example isn't really playable with pings of 1xxx ms (normally 14x ms). The same in Guild Wars. The odd thing is, that internet-surfing is fine - no timeouts whatsoever...

Installing another Firewall solved the problem for me (but this firewall doesn't seem to be very mature currently ;).

Since this is a threat about our opinions I don't ask "Did I oversee something? :D"

Please continue your hard work on improving this almost perfect firewall - thx :)

Greetings

Timo

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Timo

We already fixed it and are preparing for next release :)

Mike

17. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

Yeeehaw :D - plz hurry ^^

And thanks for the prompt answer :)

18. fedore

fedore Registered Member

Great, Mike. I'm looking forward to try again new OA release. Keep up good work. Cheers :)

19. lucas1985

Got it, thanks :)

20. 212eta

212eta Registered Member

No more experiments like
    Webroot Desktop Firewall 5,
    Comodo 3
    and Outpost 2008.

Now that I tested them, I Know...

Online Armor
    FOR EVER !!!

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I also tried the same firewalls as you. I picked up ZAAS for free on patch tueday but got rid of it for its resource usage. Uses around 36K all the time. Uncalled for. Online Armor is my choice and will be for awhile.

22. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I was a long term user of Comodo, as I said in another thread, in version 2 they got a reasonable balance between complexity and ease of use. In the new version all that went by the board, its over engineered and over complex. Not for many much less novices.

So when Online Armor introduced the latest version with the blessing of Matousec's Leak Tests, Comodo users were "BLEEDING" away from V3 to the much easier to use OL/Armor.

Everyone should remember security needs to be easy and understandable. If it isn't and if the virii don't get you, fouling up your firewall configuration will, if you don't understand it.

I don't know what the trade up rate is from free to purchased version of OnLine Armor. But I would bet they are thanking Comodo and laughing all the way to the bank.

Finally I think the design and introduction of Comodo's latest version and the problems associated with it are well on the way to Corporate foul up. The stuff that business texts books dream about.

Terry

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

off topic post removed.

Just a reminder of what was mentioned above...."This thread is simply about opinions about Online Armor's Firewall. It is not a piddling contest between comodo and OA fans."

For those that wish to continue the off topic discussions, Please find the appropriate thread or share in private message with each other.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have followed this firewall from its first beta, I have not always had the time to fully beta test, but do look at this when I can.

It has certainly improved in many respects, certainly over the last 12 or so builds (to be released).
    I have seen some possible problems(from last full release), certainly during boot, these have been looked at by Mike/OA, and they have added the option to protect during boot, I have also seen other "possible" problems that have now been resolved.
    I will not say that the firewall is perfect, nor that more could not be done, but I could say this of all firewalls I look at.

There are some issues for me personally on the inbound filtering,.. but as to what I have seen introduced from my past concerns, I would say that that these will be resolved, but it will take time.
    The main thing, is that OA is actually taking notice, and resolving issues.

25. vasummer

vasummer Registered Member

Not sure if I should post this here, but I have a question about the Online Armor Personal Firewall. I use Mozilla's Firefox. Does Armor work harmoniously with Firefox both in the install process, setting up, and general useage with Firefox?

I downloaded Comodo Pro, but it's sitting dumbly in Firefox's download manager and won't budge any further. I thought okay, it doesn't like Firefox. Since this doesn't bode well for the future, I'm wondering if On Line Armor's firewall does any better?

If this post isn't suppose to be here, please move to where it should be. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.