Your opinion of Online Armor Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why don't you post over in the OA forum, and contribute to a solution.

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Online Armor does not do anything of the sort, that is utterly incorrect.

We do not touch winsock protocol paramters, we do not add auto runs at all (other than the OA Service, GUI and the online Armor drivers).

Sorry, your PC may have "crapped out" but it has nothing to do with Online Armor at all.

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

This is not an Online Armor issue. The poster is mistaken.

4. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Only issues (mostly minor) I have with OA Free are

- tray icon stops responding when Program Guard is switched off. I understand this has now been resolved.
    - Help information provided with the program is pretty poor. I'm sure this will improve and there is no problem getting answers to questions quickly via the OA forum.
    - Balloon tips are a bit annoying and a method for disabling these would not go amiss.
    - On the odd occasion I am bombarded with pop-ups asking me to Allow or Block a program. After updating Firefox once, I was informed 21 times by OA that the program had changed. I could not convince OA that the change was OK. A reboot seemed to clear this.
    - The History log doesn't seem to provide as much information as I think it should. It has never really helped in trying to sort out problems. I know there is a more detailed log in a file somewhere but my feeling is that the History log should provide more detailed information.

Otherwise, great program with SUPERB SUPPORT from Mike and his team. I intend to upgrade to Paid version because I want to try out the extra features and contribute a little to the OA cause.

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

There is a method for disabling balloon tips if you simple go into options and uncheck notify me when trusted programs are auto trusted. Instead of bashing take time to check the options of a program. OA forums are very good and Mike himself answers most questions.When you install OA put it into training mode and 99% of allows and blocks disappear. After most of your apps have been opened then switch it back to normal mode. OA is certainly alot easier then Comodo 3.0

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

Hi there,

I tried OA Free because the Commodo 3 firewall is a little buggy (I ran the leaktests but they where blocked only once :( ).

I must say this firewall does it's job perfectly without slowing down something :D (OK - the time I tested it so far is a little short but the first impression is very good :D)

But I have a question: Is it possible to merge the both icons in the task-bar to only one (for example that there is only the traffic-icon visible and the status-baloon-tips are shown on that traffic-icon)?

Continue the good work TallEmu (and Mike ;) )

I'll test this further :D

Greetings

Timo

7. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Hi Vettetech,

Thanks for the advice on disabling balloon tips. I have spent a lot of time with OA but I obviously missed that one.

The tray icon problem is an issue that has, as far as I know, only affected a few users. If you care to visit the OA forum, you will see that I have raised this issue with Mike and provided logs and feedback. I understand there is a fix to be included in the next release.

I have been using OA for a number of weeks and the first 2 weeks I left it in Learning Mode. I also use Firefox everyday. Do you think that is sufficient time for OA to learn about Firefox? When I updated Firefox, I was well prepared to click Allow and Remember My Decision once and that would be that. I wasn't expecting 21 pop-ups informing me that Firefox had changed.

My intention was to pass on my experiences of OA after a few weeks of using it. I did state that the issues were minor and my last comment was that OA was a great program and I'm prepared to pay good money for it. I wouldn't call that bashing, would you?

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

Today's beta has been released to fix this issue
    We are waiting for feedback from the users with this issue

MaB

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

That sounds like bashing in a way......you said that and his post did not even mention comodo.

LOL!

Sounds familiar :D.

I really need to know what makes online armor that much easier than comodo. I was a bit stuck with comodo at first but after reading the help files it was childs play. Defence+ is hard at first but if you use the help file it is easy. PM me your issues. Even if you will stay with online armor no matter what, i still wanna see what your issues are so i can tell comodo to improve somehow. Because your sound like a complete enemy when you keep mentioning how oa is easier than comodo in all of your posts. Or your just extremely in love with oa.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Dude whatever.........go into Comodo forums and see how many people have dumped it. Then go inyo OA forums see how many poeple love it. Sure Comodo may be good but its way too much of a PITA.

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You can open up OA and go into options. Then disable firewall status. You can still gain access to it by right clicking on the sys tray icon.

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Look at the last 3 posts .......they went back to 2.4 or just got rid of it. Comodo is still beta in my opinion.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=192816

13. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

Thanks - I'll check it :D

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Despite the fact that it isn't at all an OA issue, and ChicknDip is trying to tell us fudge, Peter's remark on itself is correct.

Apparently it is a lot easier to yell around when problems with a product occur instead of searching for competent help and assistance on official support forums.

15. Coolio10

I will just give up then. You don't want to meet me half way.......

But i will point out again that online armor has had a longer time to ripen into a full fruit :D.

Both comodo and online armor have about the same amount of bugs. Comodo has 6 pages but it holds half the amount of the oa forums which has 3 pages so they equal out.

Also i will also point out the testimonials section on oa forums reads "If you have nice things to say about Online Armor, here's the place to say it." So i highly doubt someone would put something bad in there. Tallemu does fix bugs extremely fast but it would be easier because they can focus on one product.

Regarding the people moving back to 2.4. Comodo announced an antileak mode would be put in which mimics 2.4. This was announced even in beta.

16. Peter2150

Not quite true. Aside from now having 3 versions of Online Armor, OA isn't tallemu's primary business. See www.tallemu.com.au

Pete

17. Coolio10

OOh. Did not see that.

All 3 versions are built on the same base though. Computer service is not a product though. Does not require developing.

18. Peter2150

Now you are rationalizing. I bet Mike Nash wishes you were only right. It also tells me you have mostly likely never been in the service business.:D

19. Coolio10

I wish i never will :D.

20. Zev0

Zev0 Registered Member

Amen to that. I dumped Comodo and purchased a 2 year subscription to OA. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok just to make Coolio happy I tried Comdo 3.0 again. For 1 its an 80MB file. Online Armor is only 30MB. Comodo took awhile to install then reboot and it starts learning. The balloon tips of the learning mode cover the allow/deny warnings. Once the learning balloon tips stop then you can gain access to the allow or deny messages. Then disable balloon tips. When launching Team Fortress 2 Comodo had a heart attack. Five warnings about this that and the other thing. Ten minutes of playing with Comodo I had enough and went back to Online Armor. All over the net you will find tons of people stating that Comodo 3.0 is good but 2.4 was better. I was just in Comodo's forums and found several post where people are switching to Online Armor because of so many pop ups with Comodo. Comodo has a steep learning curve.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm not going to read above posts. Stop it, it's starting to annoy people.

Anyone want to test OA's script blocker?
    See Rmus post. No 8. Lets us know what happened, take a screenshot. Anyone up for it?

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

80MB's? Really?

I'm sorry but that bulk borders on bloat and is simply unacceptable for any firewall IMO.

I might point out one rather simple obvious fact or comparison if you will. OnlineArmor just debuted on the scene, not only that but even while OA Free is been in publicly released beta form, issues of one sort or another have been consistently addressed in reasonable enought time.

COMODO is been around much longer by comparison but aside from it's small contigent of loyals who also have experienced and reported various disappointments of one sort or another over it's current run, OA seems to quickly have captured undivided satisfaction from it's users/customers.

From what i seen over the years, firewalls have been very difficult at best to perfect and not always accommadating for the large majority of users and likely why you'll see time and again of even members here shifting from one to another and back again somewhat frequently over a given span of use.

Personally, Kerio 2.15 is been the longest lasting firewall i've been fortunate enough to realize true stability and dependability in and now that i've "tried" OA (free), i can safely say this will in all likelyhood turn out to be the best replacement for Kerio that i've ever run across, and i have tried them all.

24. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I am a Vista user (and it works just great) so therefore I am unable to even try Online Armour and it doesn't look like they are moving to Vista in the near future. Anyway, Vettetech, I don't see where you get the 80Mb Comodo file from. I don't get anywhere near that (I do have Defence+ disabled so that could be it). Also, I have never used any HIP's program. I have been using it as a F/W only and it works smooth as silk. I've had Comodo installed for about a week now.

25. Coolio10

Where did you get 80mb from? The official site even says 50mb. The install takes long because it offers a lot of customization and installs kernel or system file at a seperate time which is safer than installing it in file batches.
    I do not understand how you even got alerts when you first installed comodo because "Clean PC" mode is activated which causes all files installed before comodo to be safe. The balloon messages can be disabled easily without the learning dialogue in the way. You believe comodo has a steep learning curve but did you read the help file? If you set Team Fortress as a "Trusted Application" instead of allowing each time you would get 1 alert in total but i see now you did not read the help file. I just answered all 4 of your issues. People over the net prefer 2.4 because of less popups but similar to you, they probably did not understand the new method. All they had to do was set an application as a "Trusted Application" instead of allowing each time.
    Have any more issues to throw at me? :D. The one thing i do agree with you on is the pending file list should be removed. And people from comodo switched to online armor not because it was bad but because online armor was better for their needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.