Your opinion of grisoft and their products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking parrots.

2. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I have always enjoyed using Grisoft products over the years, they have always run well on my computers and provided more than adequate protection. I have tried their new 7.5 version products recently and was pleased with their performance and new features. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

3. RuntimeWare

RuntimeWare Registered Member

Grisoft's products are very good and very lightweight. I used to have it on an older machine but have recently upgraded in order to get a better detection rate (I had one scary experience where it failed to detect a virus component left behind that never got cleaned up).

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The amount of FP's produced by AVG simply because an app uses UPX is quite ridiculous.
    But other than that, I have no beef with it.

5. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

Simply because the majority of paid for solutions leave AVG for dead on detection rates.

6. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

~removed quote of non-existant contents....Bubba~

Have you tried manually updating? I use the free version and I can update fine. Maybe it is because of the major update Avira just had so the servers are jammed and you cannot update

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just got my first update early this morning from Grisoft for my AVG 7.5 ISS, and there will probably be another one later. So far no problems using it. I'm not saying it's better than using Antivir PE and Comodo Firewall together, but I will say it makes me glad I'm not going through the can't update Antivir PE thing that so many do, and I have before. I believe today if I didn't use the Suite, I would be just as happy using Comodo Firewal and AVG 7.5 Free, with Spyware Terminator and Cyberhawk. Although the last two have a few problems here and there, they are fixed quickly, and I think they add enough security to go well with AVG Free and Comodo Firewall. Only time will tell if AVG 7.5 is improved or not, but along with Firefox and NoScript, I believe like many here, that most AV's and AS's used should be sufficient. I honestly feel bad for anyone having troubles with their choice of software, as I know it's no fun when there are download and update problems, but this does seem to plague Antivir PE more than other ones.

8. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes and i believe this is why antivir will not let me use it since it was not able to get a random serial from their server. But its ok i just use avast with only the standard shield

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Patrician,

Not really true. Some do in fact, but some that are highly touted do not.
    Here are some that are not equal as far as detection rates or are marginally better than AV according to AV Comparatives.
    Dr Web, F-Prot, McAfee. Only McAfee shows a higher detection rate than AVG. It is only marginally better, 92.4% vs 91.69 for AVG. Other free AVs are even better as Avira gets 99.51%, and Avast goes 92.01.
    I do not think those paid AVs mentioned leave AVG dead on detection rates.

But the bottom line is that AVG, and Avast give adequate protection for the vast majority, are free, and AVG especially runs without conflicts. What more could most folks ask?

Best,
    Jerry

10. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Here are my personal (made by me) test results from when i tested my huge folder of nasties on all the following antivirus . . The number = number of detected virus. But i do not know how many in total there are since the folder has some icon files and text files etc, but the number is the number of successful detections. I did not test removal, only detection:

AOL Active Virus Shield (based on Kaspersky) = 95
    Antivir = 87
    Norton = 93
    Avast = 75
    Mcafee = 104
    NOD = 88
    Clamwin = 84
    AVG = 70
    F-prot = 78
    Fsecure = 85
    kaspersky = 95
    Bitdefender 9 = 99

This report i did is about 4 months old

11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Are you sure all of them were set on their utmost optimal settings?

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I used AVG free up until three, four months ago. That was when a neighbor kid asked to use the computer for some school something or other. Like a fool, I agreed.

An hour after he started, I came in and he was trolling warez sites looking for who knows what. I stopped it immediately, but it was too late.

My computer immediately began acting up. I ran AVG and got nothing. Ran an online virus check and it picked up five bugs. I disabled AVG and managed to get Avira downloaded. It cleaned the five nasties. Since then, I've run Avira and not looked back. These are the first viruses and trojans I've had in years. AVG is probably okay for a safe surfer, but not for fools who roam warez sites. That kid ain't using either my wife's or my computer again.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@chuck57
    Thats why kaspersky is reccomend to the unsafe surfer since it updates so much. but so is nod32.
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  14. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I use the av on my weakest Win 2K Pro machine, because its load is light, as is its detection rate, and the updates are fast and simple. But I do not use it on constant web usuage for my more powerfull (XP Pro) units, because I want to handle more intense av apps that I know are stronger (KAV and Avast).

In sum: AVG is fine for personal users who are not advanced or expert users.

:D

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

My parents taught me 'If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all'. So i won't. Always have to make the exception for 'Norton' though!.:D

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It would seem that if it were not safe for an advanced user, it would not be safe for personal users, who have less expertise.o_O
    Or does advanced mean "adult?"

Best,
    Jerry

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

My local computer guy, who built our machines, puts AVG on every one he builds. His theory is that it's free and at least his customers will have something onboard to protect them.

From what I've read, it seems that AVG has come a long way in the past year or so. The problem now is to overcome its reputation as not being a top notch antivirus. Not that long ago, AVG couldn't begin to compete with AVAST. Now they seem to be almost neck and neck in detection rates, depending on who you read.

For the relatively safe surfer who can manipulate the computer between his ears, I think AVG will do fine. For people who like the darker side of the net, along with gaming and similar type sites, Kaspersky might fit the bill.

18. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I will add this in regards to that last post. My son who is 23, I know has at times surfed the darker side of the net. He has done this while only using Avast Home, and Windows XP Firewall, and without any incidence. Not saying it can't or won't happen, but it has been over a year since he has used the two, and nothing yet. I am one who feels Heuristics aren't a bad idea to have in an AV, but since Avast seems to do well without them, does it really matter how bad some say the AVG Heuristics are? We can only wait and see if they along with it's detection rates have improved in the next AV Comparitive's. My point is, does that really even matter if someone can surf the dark side of the net without an Antispyware, a Third Party Firewall, HIPS, or even an Antivirus that doesn't have Heuristics, and still not be infected? I know he may be and don't even know it, but his PC is running well, and I doubt he has a Trojan calling out. I am a safe surfer, but Avast isn't my cup of tea (Interface, some slowdown of PC). AOL AVS potential CHKDSK problems worries me. And after the many posts here over the last two days, I'm glad I no longer have Antivir PE installed. My opinion of Grisoft is very high at the moment.

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think each PC has its own unique characteristics and can be effective or not as effective with a specific application. I have a Windows 98 machine that has McAfee VirusScan 6.0 with Zone Alarm 6.1.744 and I have used it to surf "darker" areas of the Net. I have come across a few spyware that tried to run on the system. There were two reported "infections" found by McAfee in nearly five years of use and both dealt with ad-linked spyware which apparently is tied to commission generation for some of the seedier online websites that I came across. I get a lot of pings on the firewall and just ignore all of the connection attempts. With the "outdated" version of the AV program, I haven't come across any serious problem with my machine. Many times, it is where on the Net that you go to rather then what is on the PC that matters.

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

What you should remember is opinions are just that,and can be clouded by pre-conceptions and misleading statements made by self appointed experts.
    I haven't used any AVG product for a long time so my opinion would be worthless!

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

But opinions are not unimportant, depending upon whose they are.
    When I want a new car, I ask owners for opinions, realizing my experience might be different. Few are car experts, but they know repair history, costs of operation, comfort, dealer support, and other important issues.

So it is here. We ask opinions of users. They may not be experts, but they know if their system runs well with X. They also know whether they have been infected.

Don't dismiss opinions. Some are good, and some not so good, but all who have used the product have some knowledge that might be useful.

Best,
    Jerry

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Im happy with it my pc is clean i double check with Trend online..and well i just opend a winrar and it got a trojan so ?? MD

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Jerry,what I worry about is most people who give opinions on any software have probably(well possibly)never used the products themselves and just give opinions on hearsay and not personal experience unlike the car "owners" you may ask(some posters on here seem to hold opinions on every piece of software ever written(lol)

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I can't disagree with that. :)

Jerry

25. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I think it's a bit unfair to bash a company that's prepared to offer a fully functional AV free and a OKish one at that.
    Personally I feel both Avast and particularly Avira are better and AV comparitives suggest that is the case.
    I prefer NOD32 and KAV but being suitably ancient I can remeber that Grisoft set the benchmark for free AVs at at time when CA InoculatePE and others were pulling out of the 'market'.
    I also used ewido but do not like what AVG have done to that product since their takeover of ewido.
    I think there are 'bad' guys out there in PC software land (step foward Symantec/Norton) but Grisoft are a reasonable company offering free products that ultimately do us all a favour in that if everyone installed a free AV and AT/As there would be less 'nasties' circulating out in the wild.
    There's a big difference between not rating a company's products and not liking how they operate and for me AVG fall into the former category not the latter....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.