Your Opinion about Avast !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nightwalker, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi;

On this website as well as others, I've read bits and pieces of rumors, suggestions for..., and what is proported to be solid (but always unsubstantiated) information regarding the upcoming Avast version 5.

Does anyone here have real information about it and when it is to be released ?

-Additionally-

For those who have a valid license for version 4 professional;
    will Avast provide a free upgrade to version 5 ?

Many thanks.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

For the first question we have to wait the frist half of the coming year so it might be on summer.
    for the second question it is says in their forums that yes there will be a free upgrade to version 5 for those who have a valid licence by then

3. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

there are more windows :)

Program Settings (Generic and all around)
    Modules settings (for residents etc)
    Antivirus itself window to run tests
    Chest
    Log Viewer

now multiply with no skin (simple) or skinable and in Pro with enhanced interface ...

simply there is more windows :)
    so ideal situation for absolute simple mode w/o ANY skins (nor OS skins) would be one window with multi tabs (like browser)

but that's just lil detail because i find Avast! simple and working

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You seriously can't count every popup as new GUI window.
    It would be like counting every submenu in KAV2009 as new window just because it has settings on it.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't care bout space on the HD, I have 2 500 Gig drives. But it's simple, why install 2 apps when 1 can do the job? I like to keep it simple... If you wanna install more, be my guest..... ;)

6. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree with Kerodo.........installing myriads of apps and keeping track of them becomes a headache, if the AS runs in background, thats additional load on the system. Why not avoid it all with one app that can do a moderately good job.

7. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

most of them they standalone applications in fact or they complex enough to contain multiple sub windows so at least what i named must be considered as new GUI window ...

for some people it's confusing i'm fine with it as i know 65535 way worse products ...

but still if i want something to be ideal and KISS ... oh well :)

anyway we are loosing on the original discussion where people claim Avast! is clunky skinned crap while missing that unskinned simple part :)

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

It'll get better (I have faith!) :p

Some good discussion on the avast forum about suggestions to be included in the new release.

But actually, I don't mind that the right-click of the avast icon allows you to access most features. Start full scan, update the database at anytime, check for program update, stop or pause a provider (web scanning, network shield, mail shield etc).

So from a right-click perspective, damn easy program. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.