Your new PC (or Mac) ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Say you just got home with a new system, or finished up with one that you built, and all in all you have that perfect "clean machine." A real Kodak moment, as it were.

BEFORE you go surfing, what else would you do with the new dream PC\Mac?

Over time we've learned about PCs/programs/backups and of course, security... learned about what to do/not do, so the question is: IN HINDSIGHT, what would you do if starting over today?

What killer "don't leave home without it" apps first go on the new system? How would you prep it, for world class security setup, before going on the internet and so on?

Been thinking about this also, and I know the answers here will be informative as always; thus, I/we, can all go on learning about systems/software, and the like.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd definitely do an image of the main partition first before anything else, assuming, that is, that the PC didn't come with one already. Then no matter what happens you can always restore it to it's original condition.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Heres what I do on my computers:

1. Install Windows
    2. Make an image
    3. Install drivers
    4. Install AV + FW
    5. Install apps
    6. Make an image
    7. Install games
    8. Make an image

I didnt mention Windows updates because I have them integrated. Otherwise I would install them after the drivers or FW; Im not worried either way.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Build my own here and the first thing I do is hook the new hard drive up as a slave to another machine and make three partitions.

My security and maintenance exes are then copied from D to what will be D.And maybe some pics,vids and misco stuff.

When the desktop comes up on the new machine a ghost image is made which is stored on E.

First thing to install is Firefox with my profile folder copied from D which saves a lot of time getting FF how I want.

Security (Sandboxie/Returnil) and maintenance apps are then installed.

Then I go about tweaking and slimming XP/Vista with another ghost image made after I have the install how I think I want it.

And Bob's me uncle!;)

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

DeepFreeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Yes, if it's Windows we're talking about, then definitely:
    Windows, image.
    Drivers, image.
    All updates, image..
    All programs, image.

Linux or Mac, that's a different story altogether.

Mrk

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What is that story? Mac's have been shown to have security exploits. Safari has had security vulnerabilities apparently. http://www.securemac.com/

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

My first priority would be to make a full image of the system using acronis trueimage. I would make multiple backups to different media. I'd also do another backup using paragon drivebackup.

After that i'd use first defence-isr to copy and archive my current snapshot.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Nothing to do with security. If you have read my post, it says nothing about security programs. Only imaging. This is because preserving the structure of data in Linux or Mac is so much simpler. Just copy a folder and you are all set. No registry or anything alike. Everything is modular. Everything is a file. Therefore, imaging a Linux system is far less important than imaging the Windows system. You can merely copy the program folders and relevant scripts and config files.
    Mrk

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

In case of a PC: remove Windows Vista and install Windows XP or Linux.

Recently I purchased a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista.
    As it appears, Toshiba does not support Windows XP anymore. No drivers available, nada.
    I had to search at the manufacturer's sites (Intel, Realtek, Texas Instruments, Atheros, etc) for the XP drivers.
    So, it might become more difficult to install Windows XP as time passes...

(...and installing Linux becomes easier and more compelling)

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thank you first of all for replying. Yes I read your post, but in previous posts to yours reference was made to security products. Since imaging can be a part of securing a PC I evidently made a link that wasn't there. Never the less the info you provided in your reply was useful to me as I believe my next purchase very well could be a iMac.

12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree. Why not? With Bootcamp, you have Mac AND Windows....you'll find yourself slowly weening off Windows. But when there are some Windows apps that you just can't part with yet - you still have a Windows environment to boot into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.