Your favourite second choice Web Browser

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Mar 18, 2006.

?

Your favourite second choice Web Browser

1. IE

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Opera

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Firefox

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Avant

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Maxthon

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Others( please write)

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On USB u mean, U-3 flash drives?

2. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Yeah, Off By One is just great for those certain sites and it's quite fast too (especially on "realoading" and "refreshing"); but I use it really just for "those certain sites" (dangerous/suspicious ones etc.), i.e. normally I like that docs/graphics are cached by a web-browser, after all, I am on 56K dial-up and the actual line transmission speed is of course much lower than the modem's full potential, i.e. I usually established a connection at 28.8 Kbps (as I was told by ISP support people, because of the types of phone cables/lines here in Slovenija), while only sometimes I connect at 31.2 Kbps; and most of the times only when connecting with one particular account of the three free ISPs I've registered. But it doesn't make much difference anyways.

Additionally alse check out the OffByOne page/article on Wikipedia that I 've created or participated in editing (my nick is "Wayfarer "), but you can also check the DNSKong one about the DNSKong program (this one I 've created myself); a caching/filtering local DNS server software, a really good program that I use for a year now or so. For further details on Off By One web-browser, optionally see the Off By One Web Browser thread that I opened on ArsTechnica and the The most secure browser - Off By One web browser ... one that I opened on the CastleCops forums (my nick is "satyr"), and while you're at it, see also the DNSKong - a personal caching/filtering psuedo-DNS server thread that is about the DNSKong program mentioned above.

cheers all, stalker

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I wish, my USB Lexar Standard drive with only 128 MB. I don't have a U-3, though if you want you can buy me one :D (preferably a 1GB, usb 2.0)

OB1 also works off a cd since it doesn't have to write to a media, only to the RAM.

Alphalutra1

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure! I can but ....... only problem is money, otherwise I would have bought also.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So there is no address bar, each time u have to open the address box?
    And no tabs?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I found the tabs, but what about address bar?
    But doesn,t seem to be faster than Opera. I am using it right now. A strange look of wilders on it!

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Just hit Ctrl and W at the same time and it will appear in a box. I like it that way anyways, saves room. For a new tab, just press Crtl and T at the same time.

Alphalutra1

8. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

For the Firefox users here, have you heard of this web browser called Flock?
    Its based on FireFox, still in beta, the latest release just came out on March 14th, runs on the same engine as FF.
    Some people that used to work for Mozilla are now part of the Flock staff.
    Even has some of the extensions that FF has, AdBlock, NoScript.
    Bad thing is the current version of this browser is larger than the FF current version :eek: but they even admit they have alot to work on and have a page of release notes for you to check out to see what they are doing, what they plan on doing and all the bug fixes.
    There is a web page that shows all 25 people involved in working on this browser and they said that they are open to suggestions and anything else you may find that will help make Flock a better browser.
    Now this all seems good but when all is said and done it is still a beta version and since it was just released a couple of weeks ago who knows how long until a final release.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  9. Jakrinda

Jakrinda Registered Member

1. Firefox
    2. IE

10. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    1. Firefox
    2. Firefox

No need for something else at the moment, it does the job.

11. marcromero

marcromero Guest

IE, first and second choice.

12. stalker

Yeah, in fact I have heard of the Flock web-browser, however, I thought that it's not only a web-browser, but beside that it's some kind of "community" (or "on-line bookmarking" service)

I didn't try it out though, because IIRC it was still in the "alpha" stage of developement back then when I visited the site.

stalker

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

My first browser is Maxthon (IE based) I use it about 97% of the time. Sometimes certain pages do not display well in IE so I then fire up FF or sometimes Opera.

But to answer the question, FF is my second choice because of the extensions. Too bad that it starts up very slowly. Opera also has got a couple of nice features but it´s really not good enough. Plus I got a strange problem, especially after zooming, fonts get blurry in Opera. :blink:

14. stalker

You may want to try out the Firefox Preloader program to speed-up the Firefox execution (basically, it pre-loads some parts of the browser into RAM); I surely use it for quite some time now.

hope this helps, stalker

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, just gave it a try but infact did not get any gain at all. I measured the time taken by firefox to load by stopwatch. On my system, XP Home SP2

Time taken normally 03.50 second( average)
    After Preloader 03.50 second ( same as above)

Counted multiple times.

Note: After boot up, first launch of firefox( and any file) takes a bit longer and subsequent launches are quicker until I reboot. These times are not for first launch of firefox after a boot up of sytem( that takes even longer).

16. Rasheed187

@ Stalker

Thanks for the tip but IMO a browser should not have to need such a tool, look at other browsers like Opera and DR Orca which is Gecko based, they both start up very fast, so there is no excuse, this needs to be improved. :rolleyes:

17. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

With all of those extensions and themes no wonder FF needed to add another extension to their browser to make it faster.
    How many extensions/themes can a person add before it effects the performance of their browser.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

i have about 22 exts and 5 themes approx. All ok.

19. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Well I downloaded FF for my wife, she has always liked this browser.
    The only extension being used is No Script.
    I already have Ad Muncher so I'm not going to worry about using Ad Block Plus.
    However, in my opinion, with so many extensions comes so many updates and at some point how can people just keep up with all of it.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the pupose is with all the extensions and themes.

Is it a sense of security?
    Just for fun?

Oh well to each his/her own.

20. Rasheed187

@ CJsDad

I´m not sure if extensions are the cause of FF´s slow startup, but I will test it. And if you don´t see the point of extensions and plugins you´re just not a power user. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.