Your fav add-on

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

HTTPS Everywhere by far...

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Favourite? That's a tricky one! I've recently removed a few extensions for lightness. If I could only have one it would have to be ABP. It's the first thing I install on a fresh browser. I really like Stylish as well.

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Mine is NoScript. With this add-on alone, you could have many functions in Firefox available
    -Javascript whitelist / Javascript blocklist (NoScript can be made into a javascript blocklist when in Allow Scripts Globally Mode)
    -Adblocking (Yup, NoScript does block ads, although not all)
    -Tracking protection (Due to blocking of Javascript by default)
    -Click to play plugins
    -Sanitize cross-sites suspicious request
    -HTTPS enforcing and Secure cookies
    -ABE (Application Bounderies Enforcer) A simple rule like:
    will make it so that unencrypted third party objects will not be loaded.
    -etc... (There is really many function, too many to mention. lol)

5. Daveski17

Yes, I agree. ABP may be the first thing I install ... but NoScript is the second.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yep, NoScript is one of the greatest addons that exist for Firefox. :thumb:

But, you should be aware of one thing, though. Some tracking services are embeded in <noscript> </noscript> tags, if you check a URL's source code. This means, it won't need JavaScript to be enabled/track you.

Quite funny. The other day I was monitoring a URL, while it was loading, to check where it would communicate, and with JavaScript disabled, it communicated with one service (<noscript> tag was used); with JavaScript enabled, it communicated with another, but not with the one embeded in the <noscript> tags.

So, be careful with those ones. :D

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, :D. Does RequestPolicy protects me with that? (Well I'm not really paranoid with tracking, lol). For me RequestPolicy is my second favorite. Can't wait for version 1 to be released.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

anyway to disable this in NoScript?

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That's where looking at the log of connections at least once in a while helps. m00nbl00d had posted ways of doing it with Chrome recently. I do it with Privoxy.

Here's the link to m00nblood's post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2043785&postcount=3

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx vasa.

i had a look at m00nbl00d's post but it looks like rocket science to me. ;)

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

When I used Firefox, my favorite add-ons/extensions were the following....

WOT (Web Of Trust)
    TrackerBlock
    ABP - Ad-Block Plus

But...

I recently made the switch to Maxthon, because it has a built-in Ad-Block Plus, but it's called Ad-Hunter....It's basically the same exact thing. Since Maxthon doesn't support the WOT extension, I was able to take advantage of WOT results via DuckDuckGo Secure Search custom settings, without the need of it's extension (I also added the Bookmarklet for out of DuckDuckGo searches). It works out quite well, and I have no extensions to bother with. Maxthon is an amazing browser once you get use to it....It is definitely way more faster than FireFox IMO.

12. guest

guest Guest

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's how I found some crawling and sneaky bugs. :D Also coming from my ISP, and I had no bloody idea. :oops: :argh: :ouch:

I'm going to have to give Privoxy a run one of these days. I actually downloaded the installer a few weeks back. :D :thumb:

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you ever do, I'm sure we'll all benefit from your findings :)

I've used it in a very limited way mainly for blocking content and scripts and not at all for the "privacy" aspect.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ABP and noscript.........

17. Daveski17

Oh yeah, I forgot all about SmoothWheel. This is a real 'must have' on a notebook/laptop IMO. It will soon be incorporated into Firefox/SeaMonkey.

18. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

+1 Noscript and ABP.

I tried WOT but all it gave me was false positive after false positive like a Hemorrhoid from hell, I swear competitors take advantage of it to make safe sites look untrusted, guess its their easy way to rid their selves of the competition. I think ill just stick with Sandboxie, OpenDNS, PeerBlock, and spybot search and destroy, to help block malicious sites, and if something looks fishy I will search for real reviews about it, not just some hater reviews on WOT.

I know this is not a thread about WOT, so if you want to debate WOT please start a new thread so this one dont get Hijacked into a big WOT discusion....;)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.