'Your computer is infected'

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by alanm333, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanm333

alanm333 Registered Member

Hi
    I picked this 'alert' up today - it's a balloon message that tells me that windows has spotted a virus infection and will now download some spyware protection. The balloon is linked to a red cicle icon with a white x within, which sits with the icons bottom right, near the clock. I feel sure that this is a hoax and is itself a virus, tempting me to download something worse! I can't get rid of the icon / balloon message which pops up every minute! Any cody know what i can do?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Hi alanm333,

Welcome to Wilders. Since this forum is dedicated only to posting security software updates, we don't have discussion threads here, but I am moving your question/thread to the "privacy problems" forum since you seem to be having a privacy- or spyware-related issue. Hope that helps, good luck. ;)

Warmly, Ran

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

People may be able to assist you better if they know things such as which version of windows you are using and any security software you already have including your Antivirus.

4. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Alanm 333, This definitely sounds like you are infected with malware and this is a hoax. By the sounds of it it is loading at start up with all your other progs, so you need some anti spyware/malware progs to scan your system but you dont say whay system you are running or what progs you already have. Spybot S&D is very good because not only will it scan your system, it will also let you see your startup progs plus Active X's installed so you can remove problems there. It also can immunise your system against re infection plus tea timer which will protect your registry.
    Indicate what anti spyware progs you already have plus info about your system so we can help you. You must have a firewall and an AV.
    Gordon

5. justpassing

justpassing Guest

It's warning that there is malware on his computer, since it itself is malware, this is not strictly speaking a hoax. LOL.

If none of the automated scanning tools can detect anything, it's off to HJT land at any of the ASAP forum methinks.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

alanm333

We have discontinued the HijackThis log analysis service here at Wilders. See the following announcement regarding this change:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

Within that post is an image linking over to a site that lists a number of other security forums, some of which still provide that service. If you want your log reviewed, you'll need to pick a site and read their spyware scanning and cleaning (HijackThis posting) guidelines, following all their required steps carefully, and then posting as directed.

7. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi alanm333,

Just before your HJT log was removed for the reasons given by Ronjor, i managed to notice this entry which jumped out at me. Unless you can confirm it's legitimate it probably needs removing.

O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\system32\diskperff.dll - {A82BE883-EE51-4FAB-85B4-9432C6056673} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\diskperff.dll

This is what i discovered about it.

GUID {A82BE883-EE51-4FAB-85B4-9432C6056673}
    Filename diskperff.dll, q21186474_disk.dll
    Object Name [full path to file]
    Status X BHO
    Description Trojan downloader, a VipSearcher adware variant

StevieO

8. alanm333

alanm333 Registered Member

thanks Steve et al

9. Fujifoo

Fujifoo Guest

hello

Hi there. I had the same problem. Little red ball with white x. It also hijacked my desktop pic. I also had a Pest Trap icon that was part of the troubles. To disable the Pest Trap I went to msconfig and stopped it from coming on at bootup. Then I was able to delete it with add or remove programs. To delete the "Your computer is infected" I ran Spybot. No other spyware remover could find it except Spybot. Just make sure your definitions are updated.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
  10. mike987

mike987 Registered Member

I have the same problem, I used spybot s&d the alert went off, 'Your computer is infected' & "Pest Trap"

but my pictures folder still not opening right.. can some one please help

11. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

It is a trojan. I had the exact same problem on my brother's laptop. I removed it with Kaspersky AV.

12. mike987

mike987 Registered Member

so this problem could be fixed,

13. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

14. Brendan44

Brendan44 Registered Member

i also need help. My laptop has the little red bubble with the white X and it says YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED
    windows has setected spyware infection ect.

it will not allow ANY of my antispyware programs to run includein spybot, noAdware, and asquared. IT IS DAMN ANNOYING it keeps wanting to connect to the internet every 3 seconds

HELP PLEEEAASEE

15. Brendan44

Brendan44 Registered Member

ohh, and it wont allow me to open my task manager, comes up with a window saying it has been blocked by the administrator and I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR and it has an x in the circle next to it

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.