Your best ever favourite software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey Bellgamin

You reminded me of my tie to Rollback/FDISR. It is AJC Activebackup. It archives any files like doc's spreadsheets whatever, so if you accidently save a bad version overwriting the good version, no problem. In theory rollback can do that, but I have a couple of spreadsheets, I use and save frequently thru out the day. To often for Rollback to help. This thing has saved me many a time.

http://www.ajcsoft.com/index.php

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Winamp !
    Still use it daily at work, it gets more use than anything else.

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Rollback Rx.

Thanks,

Chris

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Pete,

Are you able to restore drives or folders with this tool or do you have to restore one file at a time? Not sure I completely understand the restoring part even after i went to their site. Thanks.

Gary

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Pete or someone else who actually uses the thing can help you out better than I can but, yes, you can restore an entire drive or just a single file; anything that you want to restore can be restored. :D Others will have to tell you just how to do this. ;)

Acadia

7. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

8. Peter2150

Hi Gary

Basically a file at a time. For example. I have a spreadsheet I use every day, and it gets updated during the day quite frequently, and everytime it's updated it gets saved. AJC ActiveBackup allows me to go back and look at every version I've saved for the last X days, where X is a number I can set.
    I use this file for scheduling on an ongoing basis and trying to rename it after every save would be a night mare. This way I just save it as usual and can go back and look at it from the past.

There are two ways of doing this. One from the program interface, the 2nd by right clicking on the file in explorer and selecting the archive program.

Hope this helps.

Pete

9. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks Pete. Does anyone know of a program that might aloow you to restore a folder or folder under a drive and also a fille while allowing you also to automatically backup versions in this way? Thanks again.

Gary

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, I thought you guys were talking about RB, sorry about that. o_O

Acadia

11. Peter2150

Not sure I see it working by folder as what would it save. But, you do specify the folders to monitor, and then just include all the file types you want to archive. Should be as good. You would waste a lot of space if you archived a whole folder every time you changed one file.

Pete

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Chris,
    I have a few questions about your 'recommended security programs' which appear with your signature: There are 16 of them and by all means top choices. Are they all running on one computer or several machines? If one computer, no conflicts? What is the reason of running 'Drive Vaccine' along with 'RollBack Rx' (if you don't, no question)? I remember you were using 'ShadowUser' for a while, what is it that went wrong?

A lot of questions, OT, I'm aware, but we are talking about different softwares so hopefully it's okay.

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Don't know what to answer. :rolleyes:
    I've so many best ever favourite software, whether in graphics, email, multimedia, security and utilities.
    I'll pass on this one. ;)

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There are to many good apps to be able to pick just one, so I will pass.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Proxomitron. It made surfing the Web bearable again. It still does. :D

16. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have a lot of favorites but one that has been a great help is called "WhereIsIt". It catalogs CD's and DVD's and can be searched. I have hundreds cataloged at this time and searching and finding anything is instant.

Cannot remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much and has been well worth it. The author has continuously updated it over the years with an extra fee.

17. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Proxomitron.

18. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Peter, that IS a goodie ! I've trialled it for a couple of days now and I'm sold. I HAVE been looking for something to use on my data drives, especially since my system drive is covered 6 ways to Sunday, to be able to roll back or recover my work.

This fits the bill nicely and I'm going now to drop my $29.

THANKS !

19. Peter2150

I also use his directory sync program to move data between to machines, and to back up the data to external drives. It's another slick program.

20. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

No doubt. However, I'm already invested (lightly) in another program called GoodSync (from the AIRoboForm folks) for that functionalitly.

In any event, I went ahead and jumped in for 4 licenses at $25 a pop to use on all my family's PCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.