Your best ever favourite software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

All of us use different softwares and out of these we find many are exellent, many just ok, and many infact rubbish. Also different people have diifferent experience sometimes even with the same software. I started this thread to discuss one interesting issue, just tell us what is your most favourite software( window based). Pls just give only one name, not more than one. There is no restriction of category, it can be security related or related to any other category.

For me, I will say Rollback Rx, --- reason, it,s obvious. In my opinion if u buy window, u must buy Rollback Rx also, to save ur time and money( time is money also!!). It is a must use product. I especially like it as I am in habit of experimenting new software, and alongwith that it is so easy to use, takes less space, and has no bugs( so far for me). Also it gives u instant recovery-- wonderful.

I hope this thread will be quite interesting. Let,s see what other members like.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

First Defense-ISR, for all of the exact same reasons.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it easy to use and takes less space? Did u use Rollback or not? Also can I use trial of First Defence, just curious!! Sorry, lot of questions.

4. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

easy Win XP

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Easy to use, yes. Takes less space ? Well, I perhaps spoke too quickly on that point because it works off of complete snapshots of your system drive -- I never used Rollback so I don't know how the space requirements differ - perhaps rollback just uses snapshots of INCREMENTAL changes ?

On all other points you mention for Rollback, however, these honestly are precisely what I like about FDISR.

Oddly enough, www.raxco.com appears to be down just at this moment or I could confirm there is a trial available -- I THINK there is.

Better yet, there is plenty of discussion of FDISR right here at Wilders: "FirstDefense-ISR Forum".

Don't apologize for a lot of questions, aigle. It's your thread !;)

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say firefox. it makes my browsing much more enjoyable and easy, and it extensions let me add most any functionality.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

ok, AFTER the OS, I would say FirstDefense, but if I had first stumbled upon Rollback RX (which did not even exist at that time), who knows.

The fact that we idiots have two such excellent programs to save us from so many things (especially our own mistakes :oops: ) bodes well for the future of computing. Now if only I can somehow prevent a war between the lovers of FirstDefense vs. the lovers of Rollback! I don't want it to eventually degenerate into a "Which is better, NOD or KAV?" or "Which is better, Firefox or Opera?" type of argument. Two excellent programs, EVERYONE is a winner here! :cool:

Acadia

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Scratchpad by Lee Software (no longer made)

Simple text editor/appendable clipboard, alternates entries by color, stay-on-top option.

I use it constantly to copy info from the internet, which can then be saved as a file.

Attached Files:

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Both FDISR and Rollback are at the top of the list. They both are outstanding, and I use them both. I'd say usage determines which is the better.

Pete

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Best ever?

Turbo Pascal version 1.0 by Borland. Ordered a copy prerelease based on the price alone. Incredible value/performance for the time (early '80's)

Blue

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

PHOTOSHOP. I still have a love and hate relationship with this software as on the one hand it takes the fun out of traditional photography, on the other hand, welcome to the future, Photoshop has features and capabilities that could almost be labeled as magical.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

MS Office in general, but MS Excel is my favorite one.
    I like information organized in columns/rows and calculated automatically.

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Rollback Rx for me too. I have used Firstdefence for a year before I discovered Rollback. Firstdefence is great no doubt about that, but Rollback was more flexible for my needs.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'd say Firefox.
    Mrk

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I hope not on the same system.

Can u explaina a bit.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So any clipboard will do it as far as I know, what,s the sepecial in this one.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, inafct I had downloaded the trial few months back but never used it, I was afraid it will take a lot of time to understand and configure and I was a bit busy.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter will chime in later, but no, not on the same system. I believe that he uses one on his desktop and the other on his notebook. :cool:

Acadia

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

For me it's also RollBack RX.;)

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Acadia is right. You can't use them (FDISR and Rollback) at the same time. As I type this FDISR is actually on both machines(Yes is it working again on the desktop), but I will probably go back to Rollback on the Desktop.

TO explain the usage thing abit. My laptop has a raid 0 configuration, and Rollback isn't certified for raid 0 although some use it, and also I don't test or experiement much on my laptop. So for that use FDISR is perfect. It just comes into play if the laptop should hang, and a power reset corrupts something. While I always refresh before installing anything, usually the installs are routine, so it's no big deal.

The desktop on the other hand is something different. There have been days when I 've installed 3 different new versions of beta's. With beta software you never know. Using Rollback makes it much quicker and easier to take snapshot between each install, and gives a point to go back to. I'd need 3 active snapshot to do this with FDISR and thats a lot of disk space. There is also a time difference. If I want to throw something on for a quick look, and then remove it, not counting the time of the install and test of the new software, Rollback is quicker. The total time with FDISR is almost 15 minutes, vs 4 minutes with Rollback. THis can add up.

So indeed they are both my favorites, and yes I do use them both, but for different reasons.

Pete

PS IF you suspect from this that the FDISR problem has been fixed, you are right. Don't have time know, but will post the full story in the Leapfrog forum later.

21. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm that's truly a hard question. For me it wouldn't be a security app or something of that ilk - it really isn't where I get the most of my digital enjoyment from or productivity.

For productivity - I think it'd be Open Office (which in my mind is better than M$'s offering [with built in functions like converting documents to PDFs - although *I think* M$'s latest offering do that too now]), and it's free to boot.

Digital Enjoyment - I love TV rips (I can't watch TV any other way) ... so uTorrent and Media Player Classic with the K-Lite codec pack. Watch what you want, when you want, where you want. I couldn't be without a PVR either.

22. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

At the time it was released (Win95 days) Scratchpad was the lightest text editor (673K) that I was aware of which could also function as an appendable clipboard. The alternating colors makes it easy to sort through several pages of clips after researching a number of sites, and I can edit directly in the program and then save as a file.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Picasa2, such an easy and useful piece of software.

P.S.- Shrink and decrypter come a close second.

24. egghead

egghead Registered Member

1. BootIt Next Generation

2. Kaspersky AV

Comparable software does not even stand in their shadow.:p

25. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I have to go with the folks that picked Rollback or FDISR. Already Rollback helped me out of a few scrapes and I`m sure it`ll help again. It`s a great program for playing around with software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.