Your applications are updated?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Antarctica, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

According to Secunia one application on five is not correctly updated.
    Personal Software Inspector is a tool you can download free of charge to check your PC

https://psi.secunia.com/

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is this for ALL softwares are just for security softwares ?

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Here you go.
    Mainly for the most common applications folk have on their 'pooters, and most especially those for which an out of date application can represent a security vulnerability. Eg: Java, Flash, etc.
    Within the program there is a "suggest software" function. It can be used as indicated by the title. Used it a couple of times, and found two of the three applications I mentioned were subsequently included.
    It's a useful gizmo, IMO, especially for those (which are probably a majority) who don't do a houseclean (the common verb, not the proper noun) of their PC to check for updates every month or so. The Java update check in my experience is terribly slack or ineffective. Since I've had Secunia installed I've been notified of three updates the so-called checker (which defaults to run at start) has missed. (now disabled, and rely on Secunia instead.) For those that don't want to install the program, an online checker is available, complete with an email reminder service. http://secunia.com/software_inspector

5. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

That's only for Secunia Software inspector (the java version).

PSI (Personal Software inspector (the program you download , install and run in your computer) checks a far bigger list.

Actually the online checker is not the same as PSI.

Oh sure PSI finds more, but i think the most critical ones are the one checked by the online version... Anything else is fairly obscure and is unlikely to be attacked, or would rely extra effort for the exploit to come into play (against none-internet facing apps).

I personally don't worry so much about "end of life cycle" stuff that PSI finds...

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Alternative:

The Update Checker works on any Windows PC running Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, ME or 98.
    It requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is installed

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

This one actually tells you only that a new version is available, but the upgrade might not be a fix for a security bug...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.