You think you have too much RAM? Install Opera 10!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fuzzfas, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4674/18093910.png

This is a huge memory leak, building up in less than 1 minute. The above was with only 5 tabs open (the 3 were youtube). The leak happens with a very simple way:

1) Visit Ashampoo site and try to download burning studio 9.20.

2) Wait to be redirected to download.com and wait for the download to start.

3) Open your taskmanager and watch your lovely memory leak skyrocket in a matter of seconds.

4) Feel happy that for the first time you managed to use all your 8 GB of RAM with just one application! :D

P.S: I would have left it eat all my remaining RAM but i am encoding and don't want a system crash ruining it.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you reported the leak to opera?
    I havent had a memory leak with opera so far and ive downloaded some ashampoo stuff.

3. Fuzzfas

No, i am tired of registering to 100 fora just because they don't beta test their "final releases". If at least they would let you post as "guest" without registering...

But i passed from the Opera forum and some others have also found it with different sites:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=291734

I just wanted to see if i was the only one with something wrong in my PC or not and voila!

The leak has something to do with download.com , not directly with Ashampoo.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Got the leak here too, though it doesn't rocket up, just rises steadily

5. Fuzzfas

The funniest thing is that Opera becomes like a zombie when this happens. It's semi-frozen. It takes like half a minute to close one tab, after clicking on the "x" for like 10 times and download speeds are soooo slow! It's like semi-hanging. I 'm on a 20Mbit connection and i was downloading Ashampoo at 0,7 kb/s. :D

So when i finally managed to shut opera down, i opened it again, went to Major Geeks to download and i got it at 1,3 Mb/s...

I had this semi-hang again at download.com, i think after a redirect but i hadn't associated it before to a memory leak. Only today i thought "heck, let's see the task manager".

6. Fuzzfas

Yeah, that's the "normal" Opera leak. But have you tried to follow my steps? Ashampoo--->download.com? Give it a try, you never know! :D

7. Scoobs72

Yes, I did exactly as per the steps, but it didn't rocket up, though it was clearly a leak. It was adding about 1MB every 3 seconds....was soon up to 250MB at which point I closed Opera.

8. Scoobs72

Forgot to say that I was using the latest beta.

9. Fuzzfas

Then it seems the beta has somewhat contained it. To me it was more like a rise of 20MB every 1 second. :D

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Opera always has been memory hog on my computer. I would like to make it my primary browser but the memory issue doe not let me.

11. Fuzzfas

The problem with Opera, is that they should release an "Opera SLIM" version. Meaning, just browser.

Now they 've put on it mail client, Bit Torrent , RSS feed, widgets. The more code you add, the more likely to have bugs or... memory leaks (Firefox knows about that too).

And stop rushing up new "versions". If v.10 is not ready yet, don't release it. It's that simple. Keep improving v.9 and clearing out bugs.

I am an Opera fan, but after this i am seriously starting to think about "slimmer" alternatives.

The thing is that i like the speed dial.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

XP SP2

It did rise a bit, then stopped.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This is after I minimized to taskbar and then restored again.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  14. Fuzzfas

Hmm, maybe its OS related too. To me minimizing has absolutely no effect on RAM... Also right now i have opera with 1 tab at 190MB private bytes. Leaking, but slowly, just by updating the Wilder's page...

Tomorrow i will install Shadow Defender's beta and then try the SRW Iron or what its name is, meaning the chrome version without all the google spyware crap. Never tried the chromium family.

I am sick and tired of memory leaks i browsers. That was also one reason that i dropped Firefox.

Maybe i will go back to IE after putting Avant on it, if it's still around (haven't checked Avant for ages).

15. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

Hmm, nothing here on Ultimate64. The download is running normally and Opera is fine too...

Attached Files:

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Fuzzfas

Have you tried K-meleon? I have used it for quite some time now, and do not see a memory leak. Have you?

Sul.

17. Fuzzfas

I had tried it but long time ago. I will try it again, thanks for reminding me about it. :thumb:

I am running Win 7 x64 RTM. But this shouldn't be much different than Vista. So maybe some settings also are involved...

The funniest part is that my Opera configuration is more "light" than default. I have removed all spare search engines. I don't have it set to automatically update online documents, pages, etc. I don't use the mail or torrent or rss feed. I have "empty cache on exit" checked. I delete all private data before i exit and what do i get in exchange? Duh.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  18. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

I'm using Opera 10 (1750) and noticing the same steady ratcheting up of private byte memory usage. PE shows 260mb after only 5 minutes with just this tab open.

From what I've read there seem to be two views on this:

RAM is there to be used, so relax about it
    or
    There's a memory leak problem with Opera 10

Does anyone have a definitive case either way? Opera forum doesn't seem to offer anything conclusive at all.

philby

19. Fuzzfas

In my case, the memory leak is there, it's obvious and builds up rapidly. If i was to leave it, it would go up to 3GB ram and probably cause system crash.

Using memory if you have it, is OK. Calling taking 1 GB of RAM for a browser as "normal memory usage", is ridiculous.

Opera has a huge memory leak. I don't know what and when it's caused, but it's there.

Under "normal" browsing, i also get about 250 MB private bytes usage, with 1-2 tabs, i don't know if that's also "normal" (because i have much RAM), or it's a slow leak there too.

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont believe its anything to do with opera as i had the same problem using firefox at download.cnet.com

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241778&highlight=download

I never did solve the problem.However i reinstalled my OS from scratch ,and put back all the programmes that i use back on and it worked fine.It was an immpossible glitch to find but a reinstall somehow fixed it.
    ellison

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've never seen these memory leaks and whatnot.

And for those who experience them, I recommend reading my slow browser article. I bet it's a configuration clash with one of the security apps, especially when so many of them are run together ...

Mrk

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried Fuzzfas experiment using K-mel. Result: it used 36K bytes. Also tried K-mel with 20 tabs open. Result: it used 74K Bytes. Verry light browser, & fairly speedy as well.

Yes, I'm OT (hit me, beat me, call me dirty names) :argh:

23. Fuzzfas

I had tried to disable the "usual suspect" (aka Threatfire) and WinPatrol but nothing. Then i thought of your post and thought to disable Avast too. That was it. And to think that i only use Avast's standard shield with default settings...

This happens with just Avast on even if all other applications are disabled.

Thanks Mrk.

P.S: I want Twister back!

Well, my current Win7 installation is just a few days old and haven't ruined it yet. Not even tried to run registry cleaner and used only programs that i know for sure that work on x64 (the first time i did a mess so i formatted and installed again with the "tested on field" applications".

24. Fuzzfas

Oh dear, i have the same issue with Vipre. If i turn it off, no leak. I will try to reinstall Opera...

25. Fuzzfas

Found it. It's caused when i choose "Accept cookies only from the site i visit". If i enable all cookies, no memory leak...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.