You steal music I lock your pc [Ransomware]

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Maxstar, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myrti

myrti Spyware Fighter

That has got to be the worst fake video I've seen. They just put two frames of the image in the middle of a normal reboot cycle and the del commands issued in command line don't find anything to remove...

2. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

will programs such as sandboxie, shadow defender or similar programs work against this ?.

i have been reading this thread and unless i am mistaken most programs that need to do something as critical as a BIOS flash need to boot into a safemode or likely DOS or DOS like mode to work and even then the user is asked for confirmation several times and given many warnings. so how is it possible for a program (rogue or otherwise) to attempt a BIOS flash without at least asking for admin rights or confirmation, the only way i can think is if it somehow altered the startup sequence and modified it to run on startup, and even then the user would most likely have seen a startup program flash up if only very briefly.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I think the problem is that the hardware/firmware doesn't protect itself against modification by higher level software and applications can sometimes find a way around OS level protections against accessing the hardware. A shame, really, since it is possible to protect against that.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hahahahaha wow that is some seriously fake video!!! after explaining all the evidence to that client i was talking about and after them previously being *100% positive* they now say they must have been mistaken..:rolleyes:

i see this happen all the time though in this business. clients *think* they know exactly what they see.. :D

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I just updated the BIOS on a Samsung notebook using SW Update from samsung, the program needed admin access at program start, but other than that, Windows showed no warning or notification.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  6. DX2

DX2 Guest

Would a anti exe prevent something like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.