You recomendation btw these AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

out of the 3 selected, my choice would be nod32, just.... its that or kaspersky, antivir didnt agree with my last laptop, so dont really want to infect my new one trying it again.

2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Meant was: it does not scan HTTP internet traffic.
    Does AntiVir scans this o_O?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

atm it doesnt scan http traffic but it should have soon but dono when.
    lodore

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Nod32 plus BOClean, don't want BOClean. O. K....

...then Kaspersky would be my first choice. :)

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Kaspersky for me!... especially like its friendly GUI and HIPS which is a real bonus! after Kaspersky, i'll choose NOD32, then Avira.

If i was you, i'll try them all out one by one and see which one you prefer... alot of people like Kaspersky, alot of people like NOD and some people like Avira... try them out and see which group you fall into

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I am not sure about that. Maybe someone else can answer. I just believe that Avira including Classic is as safe overall as any AV, again assuming it runs well for you.

If not answer here, you might check the Avira forums.
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/index.php

Best,
    Jerry

7. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I have very recently made a similar choice. I rejected Avira as I was not impressed by the negative comments I had picked up about updating; right or wrong, this led to me ruling out Avira completely.

I ran first KAV 6.x and then NOD32 on my new laptop. KAV 6.x noticeably impacted on system performance exerting a visually obvious drag on, for instance, programmes loading, including a significant impact on system startup; indeed, it was much worse than the pre-installed NAV 2006 which it was replacing. NOD32 was so much better in terms of system performance that it removed any need for me to make a choice and I kept it on the laptop. I installed KAV 6.x on my desktop (to replace NOD32) and it seems much happier there and I do not notice any meaningful difference in terms of system performance between KAV 6.x and NOD32.

FWIW, when I ran a full My Computer scan with KAV 6.x on the machine that had been protected by NOD32 for the last 2 years, it found precisely nothing. (BOClean has also detected nothing in that same period.)

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well,how good is the free version of Avira? as compared to others like nod,kav,avast..

9. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I believe there is no spyware detection in free Avira but I have never used it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Gary

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You are right ;)
    Avira free lacks:
    -mail scanning (present in AVG and Avast)
    -winsock/HTTP monitor (only present in Avast)
    -PUPS detection (present in Avast and AVS)

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Upon reflection Avast is hard to beat. :D
    Jerry

12. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

All three are very good. I've had some problems with KAV HTTP scanning in the past so I would recommend trialing them and then deciding. I am currently running AOL AVS (KAV lite) and Antivir. However NOD32 never failed me when I used it and (on my machines) produces the least drag. KAV scans faster when doing an on demand though (if using the new and changed option).

I say trial them and decide what works best for you. I rate the performance as too close to call without trialing. As for UI I'd say Kaspersky>Avira Antivir>ESET.

Good luck.

Phasechange :ninja:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is http scanners can be problematic.
    people have had problems with both imon and webav
    lodore

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Correct, add something else to the mix to get that protection. Avira is light enough. Your machine should not act bloated with an additional app. to cover this. ;)

15. donsan

donsan Registered Member

I own a license for both nod and kav i have to say they are both very good products. Right now i'm running nod with outpost pro and they well work together.when i get bored with that combo i switch to kis suite. I can never make up my mind on which one i like better so i just go back and forth.

16. btman

btman Registered Member

Infect was a bad choice of a word. Kaspersky allows less infections than NOD32 or Avira. You wouldn't be infecting your laptop installing them, just messing it up... with whatever they did wrong.

17. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would just like to add that indeed both KAV and NOD32 are great products, as was mentioned. I have used both products in the past and can verify the effectiveness of both. I would reccomend NOD32 over KAV. As has been discussed, KAV offers a variation of HIPS which is not required if you use SSM, as I do. Also, taking into consideration all KAV directories, it's installation can get quite large. For the money, NOD32 wins; they offer a student discount. It's sleek, lean and mean. All that you'll need and nothing you don't. But you cannot go wrong, protection wise, with either choice.

18. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i am sticking with avast then..

19. como212

como212 Registered Member

use kav and u can relax

20. The Debator

The Debator Registered Member

I recommend kaspersky.

Using signatures only it detects more samples of malware than NOD32 with its signatures and heuristic :). Many solid test and my personal experience confirm that fact. You should consider that Kaspersky has superior behavior analyzer (aka HIPS) which allow to detect nearly 99% new unknown malware. So it has the best proactive defense. I dont advise you use SSM HIPS if you are newbie user. It asks many question, so you will be confused a little :). Use kaspersky HIPS, it is not so annoying in basic variant and provide you reliable defense.

Kaspersky is a fast and smoothly working anti-virus. It will has maximum speed in nearly two weeks, when it iSwift (iChecker) technology can offer maximum effectiveness.

Regarding avira i would say that it has no HTTP scanner and as far as i know has low score in detection packed malware.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Try avast! and it's Web Shield. I can surely bet it's the only HTTP scanner thats actually fast and works as expected. ALWIL did a wonderful job here.

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on the topic requested by the thread starter.

23. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I like Nod32 the best of the 3 although it really is a personal choice. I can't really tell you why I like nod32 over kav or antivir, I just do. Kav is running great on one computers, but I run nod32 on my laptop and gaming computer as it just feels lighter to me. I know the perception of nod32 running lighter is probably just in my mind, but I do prefer nod32 just the same.

24. The Gorilla

The Gorilla Registered Member

I run NOD32 and have also installed it on to my folks computer as well as the in laws. I added Blackspears settings to theirs and they have had no problems what so ever.
    Almost set and forget with protection and no impact on resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.