You pay Symantec for nothing

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by manythanks, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Have a read of this link can you believe the balls on these people, the way I understand it - if you purchased a renewall a few months ago you have given Symantec your money for nothing and that is the reason I wont us that snipped - no software bashing over here please - paul - anymore.

thanks

- masked link to fix thread width problem - LWM

2. ano1

ano1 Registered Member

Are you just speculating or do you know that it was still possible to purchase a renewal in respect of the outdated versions within the last few months?

3. manythanks

manythanks Guest

I am making an assumption on my own interpritation of the article but I have just read another forum about the same thing and they think the same as me or as they put it Symantec are phasing out older versions before 2004, so I may have been a bit harsh in my wording but it is still a cause for consern. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8930097~mode=flat.

thanks

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

o_O I have read the links provided and it clearly states that older versions will not be supported due to technology which is no longer sufficient for protection. If you choose not to upgrade, there are other programs available that are equally as good. However, the upgrade is only slightly more than paying for a renewal subscription ... ;) By the way, my neighbor was able to renew her subscription for her Norton 2002 a few months ago. She is also able to get her virus updates without any problem. Have you tried to renew yours? o_O

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I won't use it anymore for different reasons but I can still update nav2002.

6. Peaches4U

I also no longer use Symantec as an AV or Firewall by choice.

7. controler

controler Guest

I think it means the technology is much better. Don't you? After it does has it's own shutdown protection. has the best e-mail scanning as far as i am concerened. and why keep outdated softwear that does not keep up with the new nasties when you can just buy the new program? If you actualy think Symantec doesn't keep up with the newest nasties, your are very misstaken. They don't just pay their employees to sit around and program pretty interfaces.
    They follow the rule, Best protection with the easiest of use for the common user. If you were happy with Symantec before you should be now or you would not have used it. I aggree, Mc afee has a good hold on the corporate market but that is not saying it is better by any means. Right now I am using KAv's new Beta and liking it.
    But I also detected some good remarks made by Paul in another thread
    about Nortorn qualities.
    You will not get the bed side support from Symantec that you do from TDS, NOD32 A2, KAV, ect. Bo Clean. Symantec just doesn't have the manpowere to help all the people out there. I dought Mc Afee does either.

con

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I'm NOT agree with those companies that request more money for a upgrade.
    Eset, Kaspersky and others sold a license that have a limited time for usage, however in this time, you can download and upgrade to new version as available/you like. In Symantec, if I bought NAV 2004 (I personally hate Symantec products, in special NAV), it become with a 1-year suscription only for update the bases, in other words, if a new version appear and if I've the virus suscription current, I can't upgrade to the new version. The same thing to McAfee.

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

who in their right mind would touch a sumantec product anyway. thats my opinion

10. manythanks

manythanks Guest

I think I'll sit around for a short while and see what other money spinning tricks Symantec come up with but be warned I personally have had serious probs with Symantec such as when I purchased NPF
    NAV and when security holes where found and I paid the renewal Symantec didnt release a patch they released a new version and the result was tough s**t buy the new one or dont get protection. I loath company's like Symantec who put the customer in a corner and bully them to get money and thats why I wont use Symantec, and also for a company to have the attitude that they do towards the customer is nothing short of arrogance.

thanks

11. controler

controler Guest

Where did you ever get the idea you don't get program updates along with that year lic with Norton? When you do manual update, you are presented with components that need updating, which includeds core components and defs. You are also giving a choice of what you can update. Can you name me another vender that does that? yes there is daily def updates if you want them.
    Can you tell me the difference between a LIC from KAV, NOD ect and NAV? They all have a one year key now days.

con

12. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

If I've a license for NOD current, and ESET for example made a new version 3.0, I can upgrade free to this if my license is current.
    Yes, you can upgrade in symantec to a new build, but not to a new version. If I've a current license in symantec, I'm using NAV 2004 and symantec made the version 2005, can I swith to the new version 2005 without paid? NOT.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use mcafee 7.0 and since I have had it they have upgraded the scan engine three times. The only difference between version 7.0 and 8.0 is the GUI. If you read the components in the two versions some of them have been renamed in version 8.0 but they are the same. I have the same thing as version 8 but all I had to do was use the updater that does not cost anything for a year to get the same components as version 8.0 and I don't like versions 8's GUI anyway. ;)

14. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I agree with Controller and bigc73542 on this. I have used NAV Corp 8.1, and now using McAfee Enterprise 7.1.0 and in both programme's startup Live updates, the scanning engine components were changed to the latest version. The same updates apply to the Home versions. I am not familiar with ESET, so I can't comment on their upgrading.

15. manythanks

manythanks Guest

I currently use Command AV and every time a new version is released I can upgrade for free as long as the yearly subs are paid.

Thanks

16. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Yearly licence fees for av software instead of fees for each new version is also my prefered option for choosing av software. Luckily all my favourite av programs so far offered this method of keeping the av software up to date. :)

wizard

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Same here! ;)

tECHNODROME

18. Peaches4U

I think the following C&P from Symantec site, is what ManyThanks is referring to. As I understand the statement by Symantec is that they will no longer support older versions of Norton ... one can upgrade to the newer version and receive a free subscription for one year. I presume after that year that the subscription may be renewed. I do know that when upgrading, you do get a credit and the upgrade purchase amounts to slightly more than a renewal subscription.
    The following is a C& P off the Symantec site................
    My Symantec software is earlier than version 2004

If your Symantec software is earlier than version 2004, Symantec recommends that you upgrade to receive maximum protection from the latest viruses and security threats. Upgrading your product is a great alternative to renewing your subscription. You will receive the newest version of your Symantec product plus a one-year subscription service, which saves you up to 40 percent off of the regular retail price. Please visit our Upgrade Center for more details.

In addition, subscriptions are no longer offered for the following programs because they no longer provide sufficient protection due to outdated technology:

Norton AntiVirus versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 for Windows, and Norton AntiVirus 5.0 and 6.0 for Maci

19. manythanks

manythanks Guest

I dont know Peaches4u, I am harsh on Symantec because I had nothing but problems with the software and tech support I when I purchased software of them and the reply at the end of the complaints was "buy the new version" even when I had paid for 12 months of virus defs, saying that I dont trust this comment from Symantec "You will receive the newest version of your Symantec product plus a one-year subscription service," ye right and in 6 months they'll bring out another version and expect you pay again.

thanks

20. Peaches4U

Well when I used Symantec, my subscription renewals weere not an issue and I had no problems. Norton has now expired and I switched to ZoneAlarm Pro for my firewall only because I managed to pick it up for $10.00 and am using AVG for my AV program until I decide whether or what to purchase. I did not bother to renew my expired subscription so do not know or can comment on how long it would work or last. I do know that my neighbor renewed her subscription several months ago [last September] and she is getting her automatic updates just fine. She has not run into any problems that I am aware of cuz if she had, I most certainly would have heard the cry for help. :) I am sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with Symantec as I always thought their product was very good. However, if you are unhappy with a product then it doesn't make sense to use it or renew the subscription. Anyway, thanks for bringing to our attention the fact that they will no longer support older versions with updates. Good luck.

21. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Thanks for not bitting my head off with the comments I made or because I came over a bit harsh, you sound like the kind of person who is prepared to fight the Symantec corner, the software I last used from Symantec was the 2000 + 2001 series but not the most recent - I suppose maybe I should download a trial and see if the new versions are an improvement as well as the tech support.

Thanks

22. manythanks

manythanks Guest

It's no good, I downloaded a copy of NAV and problems started - slow downs slow start up and boot as well as large files to boot, thanks but no thanks.

thanks

23. Peaches4U

Hi ManyThanks. No I am not offended in any way. I was only trying to be helpful and I can understand your frustration. I used Norton AV 2002 and had no problems whilst others may well do have problems. It happens for whatever reason. I am not defending Sympantec products either, just expressing my experience. Like I said, if it doesn't work for you, don't use it & you are probably best to try something else.

You say you have slow downs & slow starts, etc. - again I never experienced that when I used Symantec but I did have that experience when I did not have anti-spyware software installed. Also, Symantec is a large program especially if you have the SystemWorks, perhaps your computer is not able to handle it. You do not say what capabilities your computer has. If you have an old computer you might be better off with something like AVG for your anti-virus and ZoneAlarm or Sygate for your Firewall.... these use low resources. You can try Nod32 - I read excellent reports about it & you can get good support right here at Wilders.
    There are many choices out there .. try them out & good luck. If you do not have Ad-Aware, SpyBot, & SpywareBlaster installed, I recommend that you do so - excellent freeware and great support here when needed.

24. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Wow! Let's not feel too good! Allow me to inject a bit of cynicism and paranoia...

- I personally, think Norton has a very decent policy when it comes to subscriptions. I am runing NAV 2003, and it's not like it turned into a pumkin at midnight on newyears eve....

- Not supporting an inadequate version is also reasonable...

- However, I think the larger issue here is Norton's transition to program activation for NAV which was elevated to the status of tyranny! I read (i cant swear to the numbers) that in the first couple weeks almost half a million legitimate users we faced with a non-functional anti-Virus because some bug in the activation software. Instead of allowing instant refund or some other reasonable offer - get this - all users were advised - not to shut down there computers because if they did they might not have AV protection. Then when i downloaded an update for NAV 2003 to do with not definitions, but the updater, and the integrator, and something else...my following update acts as though my computer is suffering a seizure of some kind...might monitor is flickering the status bar moving at a snails pace, message comes up cannot update at this time....it gets worse....well, this is not the appropriate place for a whole new subject, sorry!

My point? Just this, they are determined to push this activation scheme withour regard to its impact on performance, and i believe THAT is why they trash the early versions, and i only wish it were because they were worried for the underprotected user!

Other than that...Have a nice day, and i do actually think NAV-2003 is (was?) a much better program than most people acknowledge.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.