You have been denied permission to access this folder

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RT, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RT

RT Registered Member

I have mounted an old image as I need to copy off a file that was on the XP desktop. When I try and access my desktop folder in Documents and Settings on the mounted image from my new Vista system, I get a message: "You currently don't have permission to access this folder." When I press continue I get the message: "You have been denied permission to access this folder". Can anyone advise, please?
    TIA

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Maybe these will help.

You need to have the same access rights the file owner had when it was backed up. Also, ATI 10 had aproblem where if you had used a password in a backup, thereafter, backups would ask for a password when you tried to open them, even if you made them without using a password. I believe that was fixed in ATI11.

3. RT

RT Registered Member

Thanks. The original back up was made from an XP account with administrator privileges. The account from which I have (successfully) mounted the image is a Vista administrator account. How do I go about getting the necessary rights to access the desktop folder on the mounted image. I mounted the image read only. Should I mount it Read/Write? As it is I do not seem to be able to add myself with sufficient rights to access - the "Add" button is greyed. I am a little reluctant to "play" with the backup in case I lose what I need to access...

4. shieber

I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough with Vista to help on that, ownership is somewhat more complicated in Vista -- but I think the issue has come up on this forum before so a search might help.

A searchmight bring yo to this thread which might help

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228968&highlight=permission access

Opening the backup as read/write won't make a diff. Btw, when you open in read/write mode, ATI stores any changes as an incremental backup file and the original tib is left untouched.

5. RT

RT Registered Member

Thanks. I have got access to the file on my backed up desktop. I did this by mounting the image read/write - I actually duplicated my original backup tib file so that I knew the integrity of the original backup would not be compromised. Then from Explorer, I kept pressing 'continue' each time I got a permission message as I tried to navigate to the file I wanted, and until I could see the file I wanted listed in Explorer. I then right clicked on the file and selected properties. The next bit was confused, but I did opt to add my new computers administrators group to those who had ownership. Then I had to close the properties dialogue and right click and select properties again. On the security tab I was able to add my own login name as owner of the file and take full control of it by checking the appropriate box. I then copied the file onto my new desktop. Please note some of these options were not available if I opened the tib as read only, and that although I did not change any files etc, TI11 did create another incremental backup for the backup file and so I suspect that you do have to have read/write access.
    HTH anyone else with same issue.

6. shieber

I stand somewhat corrected. Opening in read/write mode makes some other options available.

Being in read/write mode and making a change to a file in the archive doesn't affect the original archive file -- ATI leaves it untouched and instead creates and incremental file that recordds the change. To take advantage of the changes next time you use the backup, you'd want to access the inc instead of the full --If you touch an inc, ATi knows what predecessor incs and full belong in the same backup set (provided you have kept them together in one directory).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.