You Don’t Actually Own Your Data and Devices

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, May 30, 2016.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is a bit of hype. True we don't own the software, but I sure as heck own my on data.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Peter,

Here is another article on the same topic from another source: Apple v FBI: It’s About Control

-- Tom

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If I can't own it, I don't use it.

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

6. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Thanks, good article. The only Iot I'll be considering will be running open source on a Pi or Arduino.

I wouldn't be as pessimistic about the (current) dominance by the privacy disaster of the centralised server model, because we actually do have open exchange standards and APIs, schemas in some cases, and actors can be linked by directories. What's happened to date is the centralised client-server (mainframe), with browsers being the smart-dumb terminals. But there's nothing to stop people (who care about privacy and independence) from developing open interchange standards - think something like variants of EDI, transacted with XML or REST. My feeling is that such development will be done by special interest groups who understand that their interests are being shafted by the GAFT. Free being way too expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.