You do realize that, relative to speed, browser wars are over once you have a SSD!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

If you subscribe to a download speed of 10mbs or greater you should chose your browser for customization potential and/or security. Even running Ff with Sandboxie, start sessions (i.e. from the desktop) and rendering is like instantaneous here with 11 enabled extensions and only a 15mbs connection.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, that's a very short-sighted way of looking at it. The "browser wars" aren't restricted to just speed, and speed isn't restricted to disk read/writes.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

If i were to choose a browser based on speed, I would choose Chrome no question. But it isn't just about speed. I am bound to use Firefox because the interface is much better. Chrome's Bookmarks manager sucks :( Even scrolling through bookmarks is very slow :(

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Use icons across the top and edit out the URL text. It's fast and easier (for me) than looking through a huge list.

As to the "browser wars", silly as they may be the tech websites have actually made them all about speed. The truth is though, if you're looking only for speed they're all fine. Security and the lack or inclusion of features you deem necessary or worthy should come first in my own opinion.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Disk speed doesn't have much to do with it. Even if we limit the scope to speed and ignore other competing features it's more about CPU/GPU optimizations that allow for faster image decoding, Javascript rendering, and now OGL rendering, among other things.

For the most part disk speed only effects cache writes.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

An SSD will make any browser faster, especially on launch. Most noticeably with something slow to launch like Firefox. It is still my browser of choice though, so ultimately fastest speed and greatest security alone are not my top priority when you consider the complete package. IE and Chrome are likely more secure and Chrome is in most cases faster but I can't bring myself to use either one. :doubt:

Browser wars over... Never! SSDs... still pretty nice to have. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.