You can suggest 3 methods/ programs for Windows 7: What are they?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You can suggest 3 methods (turning off services, system tweaks, forcing updates) and/or programs (MSE, Sandboxie, whatever) to secure someone's computer.

You can help them set it up but they have to troubleshoot it themselves.

You do not know what their habits are. You do not know what other programs you can install. You do not know whether they update their programs or not. Everything is variable, you just have to cover as much ground as possible.

They DO keep their operating system up to date. That's the only thing you know. System updates are automatic.

Which programs/ methods do you use?

Try to balance usability with security and see if you can limit your entire security scheme to 3 factors.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Router
    Sandboxie
    Either Outpost or Online Armor firewall and hips suite, whichever one that person or you would prefer.

Acadia

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Chrome/Chromium/IE9 (sandbox/protected mode)
    MBAM
    Decent AV

The criteria is for a novice user. Even Sandboxie, which I love, is complicated for most users. This is simply the way it is. It is a shame, as there could be many great combinations if users wanted to learn something.

Sul.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

1. Limited/Standard User Account
    2. Disable unneeded and dangerous services, such as Remote Registry.
    3. Real-time AV

If I got no idea whether or not they'll kep their software updated, then how am I going to be sure they will remember of running on-demand scans and even update those antimalware apps?

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You don't. You never will. Neither will they. Most of them will happily click OK things they "think" are acceptible. Being Users is a good stop-gap, but if the user is insistent on executing something, not much can be done. That is how I look at it. If the user is going to execute it anyway, even if they have to raise to admin to do so, there might as well be a scanner there to warn them. We all know that is not foolproof either, and subject to FPs and being updated.

Facts are simple. Average users are always going to have problems until they get tired of having problems and educate themselves. Then they show up at a place like this. Then the members at places like this can bombard them with lots of good ideas. If the user can withstand the wave of information, they will probably come out of it with better security. If not, they get the glazed look in the eye, and go back to blissful ignorance.

This is just my take on it, but it is also my take because it is what I personally see happening with those I know.

Sul.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey Sully, while I agree with you that Sandboxie can be complicated if you mess around with the nuts and bolts, Sandboxie out of the box is just as secure really (leaving keyloggers out of this). The problem comes when a user needs a downloaded file out of the sandbox, or, contents not being deleted from the box after use.

I don't think a browser really needs to be a part of the three methods. Why do I say that? Because at this point, the major players have stepped up enough, imho. Stick them behind an out of the box Sandboxie and you've really ramped up the security of browsers. I totally agree with MBAM and a good AV. The nice thing about a good AV is that you can easily get a freebie like Avast, Avira, Panda and MSE. All great choices, and no effect on the wallet, which is what a newbie to security will likely consider first.

7. guest

guest Guest

1 - Norton Internet Security tweaked to make everything automatically (+ password protected).

2 - Default OS recommended settings ON. IMPORTANT: don't leave anything for the user to choose! Make sure default recommended settings are really set.

3 - Make sure to install all that obvious software that regular users need, make them very visible, and set their configurations to automatically download and install updates.

Obviously, a novice user setup, and he/she will have to pay for the NIS license.

8. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

I don't know, I set people up with Sandboxie all the time. After I set them up, they really just need to know that they cant install things directly from the browser. Other than that, they really never notice its there (I give direct access to the downloads folder).

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

- AV (maybe Avast free, with automatic signatures and program updates, and scheduled scans)
    - Imaging (probably Keriver 1-click restore, because is easy to use - big boot screen asking if the user wants to restore)
    - MBAM

Advice to keep all personal documents in other partition than C:\:thumb:

10. NoobStick

NoobStick Guest

Hello :)

First choice would be: Eset Smart Security
    second choice.........: Webroot SecureAnywere (prevx)
    third and final choice: Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

NoobStick

11. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

This is what I suggest to people:

1/ Alternative DNS (used to be ClearCloudDNS)
    2/ Adblock Plus with Malware Domain List
    3/ Malwarebytes Pro

All three update themselves (I'll add scheduled tasks for MBAM). If they are more clever, then Hostsman with MVPS/MalwareDomainList, Sandboxie, and advise them to update it manually. The actual antivirus isn't a huge deal, whatever is light.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The problem with sanboxie is the disparity of knowledge of end user. Those with a clue about what a directory structure is, what an object is, what an executable is, they can usually get the hang of it.

There are many users who, for some reason, just don't get it. When I have installed SBIE on thier machines, it is a constant deluge of "where are my pictures" remarks. I tell them, you have to recover them. Usual reply is "what do you mean recover". I explain what is going on, and most of the time I get "I just want it to work". There is a saying -- you can't fix stupid.

Sul.

13. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

^^Basically. That's why I would never set up Sandboxie on a computer that might have someone who's ignorant to the concepts.

14. hpmnick

Why not just use direct/full access then? I know this is slightly less safe, but on the average user's machine I'll have their web browser automatically download to downloads with direct/full access. Everything they download will be there, and its completely transparent. They never get prompted or anything.

A lot of the people I put on Sandboxie don't actually know they are using Sandboxie... The only thing they know is that if they want to do anything with a download, they have to minimize the browser and go into the "downloads" folder. I usually put a short cut on the desktop for them.

I have some very stupid users who use this happily... my father in law being one of them...

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

1. Norton DNS
    2. MSE or Panda Cloud
    3. Hitman Pro and/or MBAM

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Norton DNS / TrafficLight / WOT
    Avast / Panda Cloud
    Hitman Pro / Malwarebytes

17. hpmnick

Ok, still a little shaky on the rules here.. but I will consider two scenarios

A) Where I set up the security
    1) Sandboxie w/ drop my rights, but full access to important user folders (Downloads and whatever else may be required)
    2) SRP/Applocker to disallow execution while in the sandbox
    3) Avira Free (set on high heuristics)

B) Where I recommend security, but do not set it up.
    1) Chrome (with WOT)
    2) Kaspersky or ESET or Avira AV solutions
    3) Hitman Pro

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-NAT/SPI Firewall
    -Sandbox
    -Imaging

19. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Hungry Man, this is just to appreciate the concept in your question, I am seeing the beginning of a great practical thread already :cool:

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

1. Chrome (with ADBlock and FlashBlock).
    2. Other DNS (FamilyShield prefered).
    3. CCleaner (running at shutdown).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.