You Can Now Install the Original North Korean Operating System RedStar 3.0

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Veeshush, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/you-can-now-install-the-north-korean-operating-system-redstar-30

For those that don't know, it's Linux based. It'd be very interesting to see what they've been using all these years.

edit

Also, Mrkvonic, review it. :argh:

edit2

BONUS POINTS to those that can see if it's vulnerable to things such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellshock_(software_bug) or just a general look over on how secure it even is.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's so secure that no peons in N. Korea can hack it.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

So I wonder if there are VPN services with North Korea exits. Maybe GOP was faking ;)

4. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Ive been to North Korea on several occasions, its easy, just go down to Dandong in China and there are dozens of travel agents there that can get your visa processed in about 20 minutes, from there just jump a Bus straight across the bridge into North Korea. All the hotels have internet, and lots of internet cafe around. I did notice the internet cafes are using a Chinese version of Ubuntu. At least the one I went to did. One thing I have noticed is that in the several times I went to North Korea I could not find even one single surveillance camera anywhere. Its the only country in the world that Ive visited that Ive never seen a surveillance camera. I bought a laptop there that is made there also. In regards to Mirimir, Ill try and find out next time I visit there if anyone is running VPN services with North Korea exits.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm glad that they let you leave, lucygrl :)

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

lucygrl is the ideal tourist/visitor, they will well come him/her anytime I am sure.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/43210/intelligence/red-star-os-north-korea.html

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

It appears N.korea runs a state sponsored intranet with no access to the world wide web.Of a population of approximately 25million with only roughly 2,000 IP addresses recorded,Heavy ethernet usage then.?

Its intriguing.

Has "naenara" a rather old looking firefox variant.(easier for the korean government to install monitoring malware.?.).
    When naenara is first run it immediately connects to a korean intranet IP.It seems all korean network usage is being filtered through a single IP.
    Heavy data load balancing of some form.?

So sad dictatorship of this form still exists today.

10. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Here's a sequence of stills from Red Star OS , posted on MSN

New Years Resolution ( mental note to self ) .... must find a barber that does that haircut !

11. quietman

quietman Registered Member

My bold above ^^

Indeed it does !
    There is a detailed account of the inner workings of Red Star and its Firefox clone here at whitehatsec .
    ..... posted on Hacker News today , but the original article is from January 2015 .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.