Yet another Vmware Question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by eniqmah, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

So it looks like I gotta turn to the WSF Gods again.
    I can't get any VM to work because it seems that the software isn't recognizing the input I make (keyboard and mouse). I can boot the machines, I can then click on them and watch the frozen mouse pointer stay in place as I deliriously type away without recourse. In fact, While in full screen mode in the VM, I can press the Windows key and watch the startmenu pop up on the HOST machine. And if I moved the mouse up towards the top of the VM's screen, it slides OUT of the guest OS and INTO the host OS, WITHOUT having to release that mouse with Ctrl+Alt. So either the drivers are missing miraculously from the last time that it worked, or some registry keys got deleted in the last cleanup session on the Host OS. Oh well, I uninstalled VMworkstation and rebooted. I then reinstalled it and rebooted. I fired up the program and turned on the Guest OS....same problem...?? Ok...so may be the OS is mess up. So I deleted the Guest OS and created a new VM. When installing the OS on the new VM, I WAS able to give some keyboard inputs such as partitioning the new VM, choose formatting options, etc...Then AFTER the machine rebooted and started to copy the files from the Guest OS installation CD, it would ask me for inputs like time zone and CD Keys...Again, I can't give any inputs. The installation essentially hung right there. :( So any ways I suspect something happened with the Host OS to cause this. VMWare support forums had a couple of cases like this, but of course they were not resolved. So now...my masters...what does the force tell you I should do?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What keyboard you got - ps/2 or usb?
    Could you write down what ports you connect in the guest?
    Any anti-keylogger software on host?
    Mrk

3. eniqmah

Hi,
    Both keyboard and mouse are USB. They worked previously. Connections are made through TCP 912.
    No antikeyloggers . the only change between working and nonworking was the disabling of Netbios and shutting down those ports 135-445.

Edit:
    So after a few miraculous idle minutes, the Guest OSes are able to take keyboard inputs, but still no mouse input. With the keyboard enabled, I was able to get to the device manager only to find that the mouse has VMware driver installed. I uninstalled that driver and rebooted, then reinstalled it. Still nothing. There's not much that you can't do with a keyboard, but still mice exist for that reason. Another interesting thing to see about: My flash memory card readers were previously working fine in the Host OS, then disappeared after I installed Deepfreeze on the Host and have been MIA ever since in the HOST. So, back in the Guest OS, I was able to recognize and use those card readers. lol. Seriously now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, sounds like your having a few annoying problems.
    Do you have vmware tools installed?
    Is this from a suspended session, can you restart the guest and see if you still have a problem?

5. eniqmah

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply,
    Looks like I have some kind of problem with the Host because I've uninstalled everything related to Vmware and reinstalled, recreated everything and still not very helpful. There are no errors logged in the event viewer of the Host nor of the Guest. So , yea, I monitored all the file changes and registry changes made to the Host when VMware installs and double checked that those changes were there, but, alas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.