Yet another Incremental Backup question.....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Magrat Garlick, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magrat Garlick

Magrat Garlick Registered Member

I'm running WinXPSP2 and have been using TI8 with great success for a while now but I have a question.

I backup my XP drive (E) before any major changes "just in case" and have just restored a pervious backup because Nero suddenly stopped recognising my DVD burner. I backed up my messed up system (E4) before restoring a recent backup (E3) because there were files and settings I didn't want to loose. I mounted this backup (E4) in the restored E3 system to check if I could get at the files, all was fine. The question is if I rename this last incremental back (E4) to say "Corrupt XP" then continue doing incremental backups from my now working E3 system can I still mount this renamed incremental backup and get at my files?

Hope this makes sense...

Magrat

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Magrat Garlick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You cannot mount the renamed incremental backup. But you can exchange the name again ('Corrupt XP' -> 'E4'), then mount this incremental backup.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Magrat Garlick

Magrat Garlick Registered Member

OK if I leave it called E4 then do another incremental from my restored E3 system I assume it will become E5. If I then have to restore E5, E6 or whatever what happens to the messed up E4 backup in all this? Does it matter?

Magrat

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Magrat,

Restore your system from E3, mount E4 and retrieve your critical data files from the mounted image. Unmount the E4 image and delete it. After that create a new incremental of your system which will become a new E4. This will represent your system as it was when you created the E3 incremental but will also include the data files rescued from the previous E4 incremental.

Hope that makes sense!!

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.